The Student Room Group

Best-Paid Retail Jobs

I've recently figured out that I need to be earning a fairly high wage if I'm going to be working part-time (can't work full time atm due to personal reasons). Therefore, I'm looking for retail stores that pay fairly-high hourly rates (above £7) for entry-level jobs. In accordance with this, I decided to start compiling a list of retail employers that pay more than £7, and decided that I may as well as make it available to the forum to help anyone else looking for a decent-paying job. Who knows, this thread could maybe even evolve into a comprehensive list of all salaries for entry-level jobs at retailers - anyone know whether a thread like that exists on the forum?

So, if you're working at a retail store that pays more than £7 for an ordinary sales assistant role, I'd really appreciate it if you replied with what store and how much the wage is. If you can, try and include the rates for each age bracket. Thanks.

The List:

Zara £8.84/hr
Aldi £7.95/hr
Alliance Boots - £7.45/hr
Paperchase - £7.43/hr
Dixons Retail £7.27/hr
Superdry £7.25/hr
Selfridges&Co £7.22/hr
Lidl £7.17/hr
Sainsbury's - £7.07/hr
Waitrose £7.01/hr
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone? Now looking for any retail places at all, doesn't have to be in clothes. I'm basically wanting to put together an up-to-date list of all employers that pay more than £7 an hour for entry-level jobs (Sales Assistant, Shop Assistant, etc). I can only do that, though, by finding out what each employer pays, and I can only accurately do that from forum members that are currently-employed at a place... so, if you're working an entry-level job and your employer pays you more than £7 an hour, please feel free to post the employer and rate here, along with weekend rates if you know them.

It would be much appreciated, and I'm sure would be very useful to both myself and anyone else looking for a job in the future.

EDIT: Just created the list and added its first entry: according to Aldi's website, pay at the Aldis in my area starts at £7.95 an hour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hashim123
EDIT: Just created the list and added its first entry: according to Aldi's website, pay at the Aldis in my area starts at £7.95 an hour.

Aldi pay very well but work you like a horse, always doing their best to ensure they're getting that exactt £7.95 and more from you.
Reply 3
Original post by L'Etudiant
Aldi pay very well but work you like a horse, always doing their best to ensure they're getting that exactt £7.95 and more from you.

I have heard that, yeah. It suits me personally well, though, as I'd prefer to be kept on my feet than sit around idly a lot of the time. Thanks for the feedback. :smile: Is that where you currently work?
I have heard that, yeah. It suits me personally well, though, as I'd prefer to be kept on my feet than sit around idly a lot of the time. Thanks for the feedback. :smile: Is that where you currently work?

Good for you, it's not for everyone but the benefits sure do outweigh the cons, especially for students. My sibling does, he's still getting used to the workload but enjoys the pay!
Sainsbury`s Supermarkets current base rate £7.07.
Reply 6
Original post by Aak&Ash
Sainsbury`s Supermarkets current base rate £7.07.

Thanks for that, mate. If you don't mind me asking, do you work at Sainsbury's, and if so, how old are you? Asking to find out the age bracket that £7.07 falls into.

Sainsbury's has now been added to the list, along with a whole bunch of other retailers whose average salaries I've gotten off GlassDoor with the temporary membership I had on it. Anyone else got salaries to contribute? Whether it's a wage for a current retailer or one not listed yet, feel free.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Vodafone is £8.58 with quarterly bonus and staff discounts on top
Reply 8
Zara pays that?? How old are you and where do you live..?
Reply 9
Original post by LukeEN
Vodafone is £8.58 with quarterly bonus and staff discounts on top

Thanks, Luke. What age is that for?

Original post by zedaa
Zara pays that?? How old are you and where do you live..?

Nah, I don't work there. Like I said in an earlier post, the last few wages I've added to the list I've gotten off GlassDoor.com, which is a site where people post their salaries. That was the hourly salary shown for the job of a sales assistant at Zara, and it's probably an average. Maybe someone that currently works at Zara can weigh in with whether that sounds about right.
Reply 10
Thanks, Luke. What age is that for?

Nah, I don't work there. Like I said in an earlier post, the last few wages I've added to the list I've gotten off GlassDoor.com, which is a site where people post their salaries. That was the hourly salary shown for the job of a sales assistant at Zara, and it's probably an average. Maybe someone that currently works at Zara can weigh in with whether that sounds about right.

I've heard that they pay way less than that. Fashion retail never really pays that well for the work you have to do, unless you're working in central London. I would agree with the boots salary but that's because I worked in West London. I don't know if it's that high elsewhere.
Reply 11
My friend who is 17 works in Accessorize and has just got a payrise and now earns something like £8.60 an hour
Original post by zedaa
I've heard that they pay way less than that. Fashion retail never really pays that well for the work you have to do, unless you're working in central London. I would agree with the boots salary but that's because I worked in West London. I don't know if it's that high elsewhere.

I've been working for Zara for a while and it is not that high! It's £6.50 an hour. Minimum wage for 21+ which is good for the many people who are under 21, but not good for the many people (including mothers) who are over 21 and work two jobs.
Reply 13
Thanks for that, mate. If you don't mind me asking, do you work at Sainsbury's, and if so, how old are you? Asking to find out the age bracket that £7.07 falls into.

Sainsbury's has now been added to the list, along with a whole bunch of other retailers whose average salaries I've gotten off GlassDoor with the temporary membership I had on it. Anyone else got salaries to contribute? Whether it's a wage for a current retailer or one not listed yet, feel free.

£7.07 is the rate for 18+
I work at Morrisons on a Sunday, get time and a half for a typical 8 hour shift and come home with around £325 a month for working one day a week.
Sunday works out at £10.04 an hour :smile:
I'm surprised topshop isn't in your list because it's above super dry

Latest

Trending

Trending