The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madl24903
Folks, does the 'completion date' for the bits of the application mean 23:59 of the day in question or a set time?!

At the top of my application progress page it says "You need to complete the next stage of the application process by 23:59:59 on the date indicated", I'm guessing it's the same for everyone.
Reply 341
Original post by hm13
The first two are both simply chances to practice the online selection tests - covering the numerical and verbal parts.

The situational judgement questionnaire is a compulsory element which has only been added this year. The results are are not used to sift applications - they're just trialing a new process which might be added to the FS applications in the future. You just say what you are likely to do in a particular situation - you rank different courses of action - which is most and least like you.

thank you so much for clarifying that :smile:
Does anyone know if you're able to apply for multiple generalist schemes? I'm interested in both the diplomatic services and central departments.
Reply 343
Original post by ferriswheel
Does anyone know if you're able to apply for multiple generalist schemes? I'm interested in both the diplomatic services and central departments.

Yes, you are. There are four choices and you can put a maximum of two.

Remember this:
You must select the Diplomatic Service as your first preference when you apply, or you won’t be considered.
(from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-generalist-fast-stream/fast-stream-diplomatic-service )

Good luck!
Applying for the generalist fast stream here & am really nervous about doing the verbal and numerical tests.

On the practice ones I've been bottom 30% for numerical and the middle for verbal...

any advice for numerical? I really am not very good at them :/
I'm on the full application form - the postgraduate project section bit. What on earth do you put in the ideas and the lessons learned sections? I can't work out if lessons learned is all my research findings (in which case what is ideas?!) or if it's asking for lessons I have personally learned about myself or what I'd do differently etc.
Reply 346
Original post by charcharchar
Applying for the generalist fast stream here & am really nervous about doing the verbal and numerical tests.

On the practice ones I've been bottom 30% for numerical and the middle for verbal...

Lots and lots of practice! Make good use of the open source one - and the two timed practice ones in the actual application.

I think the main thing is to be confident with the data and not be thrown easily. Especially because they do try catch you out by giving options that are answers derived from common mistakes.

Know how to work out percentages in particular- the ins and outs - how to manipulate all kinds of data to get the percentage difference you need.
I feel like a complete fool for doing this but somehow I ended up taking the real tests, skipping to the end and pressing submit when I intended to just skip the practice tests.

I'd taken practice tests elsewhere and didn't feel the need to resit the ones offered by the civil service, and now I have submitted two test results with a 0.

I've just written a message but the phone line is obviously closed so I can't take this issue up in person. Has anyone here had a brain fart and done this too? I'm really hoping they let me sit the actual tests again because I will be devastated if this is the end of my application
Original post by kat.lev
Yes, you are. There are four choices and you can put a maximum of two.

Remember this:
You must select the Diplomatic Service as your first preference when you apply, or you won’t be considered.
(from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-generalist-fast-stream/fast-stream-diplomatic-service )

Good luck!

Have you completed Online e-Tray Exercise ?
Reply 349
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
Have you completed Online e-Tray Exercise ?

Hi - nope, not yet. I'm still working on the 'why I want to work with the EU institutions' bit and dragging out the application as I want to do the E-Tray in 2 weeks time when I have less on - keen to make sure I have a nice quiet day to do it :smile:
Does anyone have any tips on the e-tray? Please, comrades, let's not all go zero-sum game on each other!
Reply 351
Original post by wordsearch
I'm on the full application form - the postgraduate project section bit. What on earth do you put in the ideas and the lessons learned sections? I can't work out if lessons learned is all my research findings (in which case what is ideas?!) or if it's asking for lessons I have personally learned about myself or what I'd do differently etc.

I was lazy and just used my abstract - cutting it off at the end of the theory and methods bit for Ideas and for Lessons the results bit...

Like you, I couldn't think of anything else/couldn't be bothered to work out something else and write it.
Original post by kat.lev
Hi - nope, not yet. I'm still working on the 'why I want to work with the EU institutions' bit and dragging out the application as I want to do the E-Tray in 2 weeks time when I have less on - keen to make sure I have a nice quiet day to do it :smile:

I have completed the application form for Digital and Technology Fast Stream Scheme and submitted as well. It was actually stimulating. There were 3 inquiries that why I wish to join the Digital and Technology Fast Stream counting DAT Suitability, DAT Motivation and DAT Right Time.

Now, I must complete e-tray until 20th midnight of October. They have given twice the time in comparison to the time they gave for online selection tests. I have gone through tranquil e-tray sample. Let see, how precise I am in my conclusion that e-tray should be easier than online selection tests!
Original post by charcharchar

I started on BBC bitesize! If you're rusty with percentages/proportions and things. I then used my old My Maths program from school- so maybe try and get your hands on stuff like that? Helps to do a bit of practice with a calculator so you get faster. Tip is to keep calm and not panic but that's easier said than done! Good luck :smile:
Does anyone know if we will be repeating the verbal reasoning/ numerical tests if invited to an assessment centre or is it all different tasks? Thanks!
Reply 355
Original post by avenue18
Does anyone know if we will be repeating the verbal reasoning/ numerical tests if invited to an assessment centre or is it all different tasks? Thanks!

Final assessmentYour e-Tray test is assessed, and shortlisted candidates are invited to a 1-day assessment at the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC) in London. The event consists of a written exercise, leadership exercise, group exercise and interview.

(From the Fast Stream website)

This implies that there is no further tests, but I know that in previous years that there has been a brief re-test of the numerical and verbal tests, simply to ensure that your scores match up with your online results.

Can anyone clarify?

I'm a huge nerd but if I were to get to FSAC, it would help to calm me don if there was a maths test first as I like numbers :colondollar:
Has anyone done E-Tray yet? I'm really nervous and all the practice doesn't seem to be fully comprehensive of the real E-Tray... if you pick something which is ranked a 2 or 3 , do you still get marks? Or is it a matter of getting marks only if you choose the best and worse option?
Original post by Niicoleta4
Has anyone done E-Tray yet? I'm really nervous and all the practice doesn't seem to be fully comprehensive of the real E-Tray... if you pick something which is ranked a 2 or 3 , do you still get marks? Or is it a matter of getting marks only if you choose the best and worse option?

You must pick the correct option i.e. least = 4 and most = 1. If you will be choosing option of third priority as least and option of second priority as most, I believe your answers would be considered "Wrong"! You must reply to all emails, as you shall get new emails in response to those.

Also, you must practice for the online e-tray practice tests (http://www.cubiks.com/Pages/default.aspx)

Shahbaz
Original post by Niicoleta4

http://www.cubiksonline.com/Cubiks/Etray3/Instructions/ShowInstructionsForEtray
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 359
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
You must pick the correct option i.e. least = 4 and most = 1. If you will be choosing option of third priority as least and option of second priority as most, I believe your answers would be considered "Wrong"! You must reply to all emails, as you shall get new emails in response to those.

Also, you must practice for the online e-tray practice tests (http://www.cubiks.com/Pages/default.aspx)

Shahbaz

Are you absolutely sure about that? I did the etray last year (and got through with a very high score) and I was under the impression it was a graded system. I've just had a quick search and I can't find any information readily available (I can't get the quote in your next post to work?)

Not necessarily doubting you, but can't find any information at the moment confirming either way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending