The Student Room Group

Moles and Equations

hi, someone please help with these questions, I'm not quite sure what to do!
34.5g of sodium was reacted with titanium chloride to produce some titanium metal.:
TiCL4 + 4Na --> Ti + 4NaCl
a) How many moles of sodium were reacted?
b) How many moles of titanium chloride would have reacted with the sodium?
c) What mass of titanium would have been produced?
d) What mass of titanium would have been produced if 34.5 tonnes of sodium had been reacted instead?

I think the answer for a is 1.5 moles, as the Ar of Na= 23g, so 34.5/23=1.5
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by emenems
hi, someone please help with these questions, I'm not quite sure what to do!
34.5g of sodium was reacted with titanium chloride to produce some titanium metal.:
TiCL4 + 4Na --> Ti + 4NaCl
a) How many moles of sodium were reacted?
b) How many moles of titanium chloride would have reacted with the sodium?
c) What mass of titanium would have been produced?
d) What mass of titanium would have been produced if 34.5 tonnes of sodium had been reacted instead?

I think the answer for a is 1.5 moles, as the Ar of Na= 23g, so 34.5/23=1.5

Are you stuck on the rest of them? a) is correct. What does it mean when it says

a+4b-->

in an equation? I.e. what do the big numbers refer to? That should answer part (b)
Reply 2
Original post by lerjj
Are you stuck on the rest of them? a) is correct. What does it mean when it says

a+4b-->

in an equation? I.e. what do the big numbers refer to? That should answer part (b)

Well the big numbers balance the equation, and to balance that equation I think it must already be balanced, so
TiCl4 = 190g
4Na= 92g
4NaCl = 234g
Ti= 48g
190+92= 282g
234+48=282g
so would it just be one mole of titanium chloride? or am i completely barking up the wrong tree
Reply 3
Original post by emenems
Well the big numbers balance the equation, and to balance that equation I think it must already be balanced, so
TiCl4 = 190g
4Na= 92g
4NaCl = 234g
Ti= 48g
190+92= 282g
234+48=282g
so would it just be one mole of titanium chloride? or am i completely barking up the wrong tree

The equation is already balanced, yes. The big numbers do have an actual meaning, they're not literally just there to make the two sides even (although given what they mean, they have to make it balance because otherwise conservation of mass goes out the window).

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by lerjj
The equation is already balanced, yes. The big numbers do have an actual meaning, they're not literally just there to make the two sides even (although given what they mean, they have to make it balance because otherwise conservation of mass goes out the window).

Spoiler

Ok, i think I understand now, thanks:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest