The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Steve Clarke or Neil Lennon imo.

I think the likes of McDermott, Mowbray, Hughton would all be sound, natural appointments, but it's quite uninspiring. Maybe take a punt on someone from League One - Karl Robinson and Steven Pressley spring to mind.

Forget Pressley. His delight at surrendering a 2-0 lead at home to Crawley should say all you need to know about his ambition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Former Chelsea midfielder Slavisa Jokanovic has replaced Billy McKinlay as Watford boss, only eight days after the Scot was put in charge.

The 46-year-old won back-to-back Serbian titles as Partizan Belgrade manager and joins the Hornets from Spanish third division side Hercules.

He becomes the Championship club's fourth head coach in 37 days.

The **** is going on here. Is this some kind of ''find the most obscure manager'' competition?
Original post by sr90
Former Chelsea midfielder Slavisa Jokanovic has replaced Billy McKinlay as Watford boss, only eight days after the Scot was put in charge.

The 46-year-old won back-to-back Serbian titles as Partizan Belgrade manager and joins the Hornets from Spanish third division side Hercules.

He becomes the Championship club's fourth head coach in 37 days.

The **** is going on here. Is this some kind of ''find the most obscure manager'' competition?

We've decided we're going to hold our own Manager of the Month award from now on, that's all!

In all seriousness though, it's not like we've been hiring and firing managers, more of a chain of different events occuring. Sannino really should've left at the end of last season if the supposed dressing room issues were as bad as claimed, Garcia's heart problems couldn't really be foreseen and McKinlay supposedly never even had a contract as Head Coach and rumour has it he might be back at Fulham in a few days anyway.

Completely unimpressed with the new guy though really. Going unbeaten as Muangthong United in the Thai top flight and winning two Serbian leagues sounds like a very Football Manager-esque CV. In Pozzos we trust though
Original post by Midlander
Coventry City Council voting on whether to let London Wasps buy a 90% stake in ACL next week, reported £30m bid. When will this Ricoh madness end?

Christ. It only affects the football club if you believe Sisu would buy the Ricoh though, doesn't it? And they evidently never would.
Original post by Mackay
Christ. It only affects the football club if you believe Sisu would buy the Ricoh though, doesn't it? And they evidently never would.

The bid has now been accepted by the Council, the Labour members of which I have told they can no longer expect my vote. It removes any chance of the club, be it under SISU's ownership or otherwise, from using the Ricoh in any capacity other than as tenants.

Wasps owe no loyalty to Coventry based sports teams-to some extent, the council did need to as their voters and taxpayers would also be City fans. We must now choose between giving Wasps a few hundred grand every year or actually building a new stadium. Rock, hard place, fecked etc
Lennon for Bolton. Good appointment.
Disgraceful effort by the City yesterday. £70 it cost me to watch them make one of the ****test teams in creation look like world beaters.

Pressley should be ashamed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Disgraceful effort by the City yesterday. £70 it cost me to watch them make one of the ****test teams in creation look like world beaters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Costs 70 squid for a ticket at Cov?! Bloooody hell...
Original post by hskjlclcn
Costs 70 squid for a ticket at Cov?! Bloooody hell...

Not quite. Came down from Scotland to Gresty Road-£50 on train tickets, £20 match ticket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always seem to be the way when you make the effort like that! With living in Cardiff for a bit trips to watch Wrexham weren't that frequent but when I did make the journey whether it was a home or an away match it always ended with watching us put in a woeful performance.

I would say you will probably win next weekend with no problems and you won't be there to see it... but then I noticed you're playing Bristol City. Although, having lost to the bottom side where you expected to get three points I wouldn't be surprised if you beat the top club and put an end to their unbeaten run.

Over 8000 fans turned up at the Racecourse to watch Wrexham yesterday. It was great seeing the stadium at near capacity and noisy, but it's a shame that we won't even get half of those fans back for our next home game. It was our 150th anniversary game and it was one to forget result-wise but just making it to 150 years seems incredible for the club considering how close we were to losing it a couple of seasons ago. As much as it would be nice to get out of the Conference and back into the Football League, just having Wrexham in existence something I value much more. I'd happily stay in the Conference if it meant we were safe for another 150 years!
Original post by Mackay
Lennon for Bolton. Good appointment.

We shall see. Hopefully he makes an immediate impact, and starts driving us clear of the bottom 3.

It's not like we don't have the personnel, why is why I was so confused with our start to the season. Couple of winnable games coming up so if we can maybe somehow take 6 from 9 things will look a little less gloomy.
Original post by ..DT..
We shall see. Hopefully he makes an immediate impact, and starts driving us clear of the bottom 3.

It's not like we don't have the personnel, why is why I was so confused with our start to the season. Couple of winnable games coming up so if we can maybe somehow take 6 from 9 things will look a little less gloomy.

Great piece in the Guardian today from Daniel Taylor about how Gartside is ruining your club.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29486596

If I was the referee I would have found some excuse to send the Stevenage keeper off, just to bring Dave Beasant on to the field as the oldest player in a long time.
Original post by Mackay
Great piece in the Guardian today from Daniel Taylor about how Gartside is ruining your club.

Yeah, good article, but no new news to me really. Some of our signings over the last 3 years have been despicable. Put that alongside some of the players we got rid off and the recipe for disaster is complete.
Original post by ..DT..
Yeah, good article, but no new news to me really. Some of our signings over the last 3 years have been despicable. Put that alongside some of the players we got rid off and the recipe for disaster is complete.

Agreed. People forget the Holden/Lee/M. Davies injuries you suffered back in 2011-12, though. With them two you probably wouldn't have gone down. Muamba's retirement didn't help, either.
Wow. Barcelona's cheapest season ticket is cheaper than ALL the cheapest season tickets in England's top four divisions. Even a few Conference clubs have more expensive season tickets than Barca.
Ched Evans is set to be released from prison this week. I wonder if Sheffield United will resign him.
Original post by sr90
Ched Evans is set to be released from prison this week. I wonder if Sheffield United will resign him.

Whilst I disagree with the length of his sentencing, it'll be interesting to see how he recovers from this. Should be interesting to see if he's like Marlon King and spirals into nothingness, or uses his time inside to motivate him and pulls off something similar to Troy Deeney and uses it to propel his career.

Can't see Sheffield United resigning him though, what with the petition.
Price of football revealed by BBC today.
So fulham's shortlist for the potential managers include Kit Symmons, the assistant manager; Steve Clarke, a guy who's been linked to every lower PL / Championship club who needed a manager; and Chris Hughton, who's been in a similar situation and was sacked at the end of last season

Did they need to hire an 'expert panel' of 5 people for that? :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest