The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

I know most universities have very small intakes for graduate entry dentistry but does anyone know roughly how many people apply, get interviews and actually get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by Sandomando
I know most universities have very small intakes for graduate entry dentistry but does anyone know roughly how many people apply, get interviews and actually get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aberdeen has a section dedicated to last years application stats for people to check out. Kings last year had just over 20 places and Liverpool and UCLan usually have around 15 place apiece. If you want exact figures you may as well call the admissions team.
Reply 62
Original post by althornber1
On your personal statement, are people listing times..like I did 2 weeks here and a week here etc.
or just talking about it as a whole?
I may say at the start that I have done 6 weeks total work experience and then go into details..hope this is enough work experience!

6 weeks is more than enough. I had 2 weeks and got interviews at QMUL and Glasgow 3 years ago
Hi, I am getting very confused about where to apply as a graduate!

So far:
GCSEs: 8A*s 2As
AS level:4As
A2 level: 3As and 1B ( In chemistry)
Degree: Predicted a 1st in Biomed
UKCAT: 660
I have plenty of voluntary experience and shadowing dentists in different practices, but I havent really managed to get any hospital work experience

I am not sure if this is good enough for 4 year programmes at Liverpool and UCLAN which only have about 15-20 places for graduates and most graduates get a lot of work exp. I know my UKCAT isnt high enough for kings or aberdeen.

I am also thinking of applying to 2 5year courses, at Bham and QMUL
Email from ukcat saying they have asked unis not to consider the situational judgement mark! Apparently there has been discrepancies in the scoring system. Really annoying as I did well in that section and I it's probably the only thing that is relevant in the ukcat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Email from ukcat saying they have asked unis not to consider the situational judgement mark! Apparently there has been discrepancies in the scoring system. Really annoying as I did well in that section and I it's probably the only thing that is relevant in the ukcat!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am gutted that they are disregarding the SJT as I did well on that but poor in VR. I am really disappointed as I have never been good at the UKCAT and now with one of my strongest sections removed I feel this will make my application weaker because the VR is still counted :frown: I don't understand why they can't remark the SJT or just disregard the whole test. I don't understand how a professional consortium as big as UKCAT can take our £60/£80 and make such a mistake. Its a very unrepresentative and stressful test and I don't see how this is appropriate. Anyone else effected or feel slightly cheated?
Original post by scuba94
I am gutted that they are disregarding the SJT as I did well on that but poor in VR. I am really disappointed as I have never been good at the UKCAT and now with one of my strongest sections removed I feel this will make my application weaker because the VR is still counted :frown: I don't understand why they can't remark the SJT or just disregard the whole test. I don't understand how a professional consortium as big as UKCAT can take our £60/£80 and make such a mistake. Its a very unrepresentative and stressful test and I don't see how this is appropriate. Anyone else effected or feel slightly cheated?

Yeah I was so pleased with my band 1 situational judgement. Out of all the subtests this one is undoubtedly the most clinically relevant, I would much rather an ethically sound dentist than one that can read an article about politics really fast...
Glad to see the average mark has gone down this year though
Original post by prabhleenghai
Hi, I am getting very confused about where to apply as a graduate!

So far:
GCSEs: 8A*s 2As
AS level:4As
A2 level: 3As and 1B ( In chemistry)
Degree: Predicted a 1st in Biomed
UKCAT: 660
I have plenty of voluntary experience and shadowing dentists in different practices, but I havent really managed to get any hospital work experience

I am not sure if this is good enough for 4 year programmes at Liverpool and UCLAN which only have about 15-20 places for graduates and most graduates get a lot of work exp. I know my UKCAT isnt high enough for kings or aberdeen.

I am also thinking of applying to 2 5year courses, at Bham and QMUL

How are you planning to fund an undergraduate again, as we would be liable to pay the £9000 fees per year ourselves?
I am in your position, I am applying for 3 grad entry and 1 5 year in the hope that I might find a way to fund it if all goes wrong with the grad entry application.
Original post by BiomedDentist
How are you planning to fund an undergraduate again, as we would be liable to pay the £9000 fees per year ourselves?
I am in your position, I am applying for 3 grad entry and 1 5 year in the hope that I might find a way to fund it if all goes wrong with the grad entry application.

Well NHS,and borrowing from family, with the intention of paying back as soon as I graduate.
My issue isnt 4 year or 5 year, its just that I dont want to have to keep re applying, I just really want to get in!

Where are you thinking of applying?
Well NHS,and borrowing from family, with the intention of paying back as soon as I graduate.
My issue isnt 4 year or 5 year, its just that I dont want to have to keep re applying, I just really want to get in!

Where are you thinking of applying?

I'm sure you will get in, your stats are fab.
I am applying to Plymouth (5year), aberdeen, Liverpool and UCLAN (grad entry)

keeping my fingers crossed
I'm sure you will get in, your stats are fab.
I am applying to Plymouth (5year), aberdeen, Liverpool and UCLAN (grad entry)

keeping my fingers crossed

Hopefully! I wanted to apply plymouth bt missed the deadline for GAMSAT. What are your stats like?
Hopefully! I wanted to apply plymouth bt missed the deadline for GAMSAT. What are your stats like?

I got A*AAAAABBB at GCSE
A levels: A*AAC (Bio, chem, psych and maths)
Degree: Biomedical Sciences predicted 1st
UKCAT 688
I have a years research experience and about 4/5 weeks GDP/Dental Lab/Dental access centre
I need help fast!!!!!
I am applying for dentistry at newcastle university however i have not completed any work experience, thinking this only had to be done by the time i received an offer, what should i do?
I got A*AAAAABBB at GCSE
UKCAT 688
I have a years research experience and about 4/5 weeks GDP/Dental Lab/Dental access centre

Hi is that a years research experience within a lab? I also have that but wasn't sure how to make it relevant in my work experience. How are you planning on including it? If you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi is that a years research experience within a lab? I also have that but wasn't sure how to make it relevant in my work experience. How are you planning on including it? If you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, in a lab during a placement year. It's all relevant, maturity, problem solving, manual dexterity, the ability to be critical about information and a real passion for science and improving healthcare. Everywhere says its more about expressing what you have learnt from your experiences, which is regarded as better than 'I have done blah blah, I dunno 2 months in max fax abroad' :smile:
Yeah, in a lab during a placement year. It's all relevant, maturity, problem solving, manual dexterity, the ability to be critical about information and a real passion for science and improving healthcare. Everywhere says its more about expressing what you have learnt from your experiences, which is regarded as better than 'I have done blah blah, I dunno 2 months in max fax abroad' :smile:

Ok thanks very much :smile: yes considering I've spent the last year of my life in a lab I should probably definitely mention it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks very much :smile: yes considering I've spent the last year of my life in a lab I should probably definitely mention it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh definitely, It's something to be proud of. Its made me realise I want my career to be based around patients, not cells :smile:
I got A*AAAAABBB at GCSE
UKCAT 688

With those A levels, shoulda applied straight after school/after a gap year! Usually they care about Bio and chem!

You have a very strong chance with the years research experience especially
Oh definitely, It's something to be proud of. Its made me realise I want my career to be based around patients, not cells :smile:

Yes exactly the same with me! The lab was like solitary confinement for me, need to be on the front line with patients!

Posted from TSR Mobile
With those A levels, shoulda applied straight after school/after a gap year! Usually they care about Bio and chem!

You have a very strong chance with the years research experience especially

I know, I wish I had applied after A-levels, though I didn't know I wanted to do dentistry, at the time I was more interested in the research route at the time. I now realise I want my career to be patient based.
I am grateful for the biomedical sciences though, it has taught me a lot which will no doubt be beneficial in the future, hopefully make me a better dentist for it :smile:
It would be so great if we all got in

Quick Reply

Latest