The Student Room Group

Could Ebola come to the UK?

BBC News has just confirmed that Ebola is now in Spain. Sky News said it was coming to the UK in 3 weeks. Is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

How can Sky News know that it will be coming to the UK in 3 weeks? Did Mr Ebola phoned them and told that he's booking a visit to UK? :hmmm:
Reply 2
most likely, checks in airports need to be more thorough
It could be anywhere.

probably is already here.

But it doesn't seem to be killing anyone though despite spreading eveywhere. perhaps it's a harmless variant of Ebola.
Reply 4
Both of the Spanish priests that contracted Ebola both died from the disease
Reply 5
Original post by ForgetMe
How can Sky News know that it will be coming to the UK in 3 weeks? Did Mr Ebola phoned them and told that he's booking a visit to UK? :hmmm:

A recent study based on air traffic patterns predicted that the UK would see a case in the next month at a 50% or so chance if traffic patterns stay the same. The likelihood is due to Heathrow's position as an International travel hub.

Original post by Crb822
most likely, checks in airports need to be more thorough

Why? Checks like this don't do anything. The guy who turned up in the US went through an airport and would not have triggered any scans as the disease had not developed yet. A better idea would be to provide better vigilance in hospitals so that cases are not missed as they were in the US or spread by inappropriately equipped and perhaps trained staff as in Spain.
If it did, it wouldn't matter. Ebola isn't very contagious and we're well equipped to contain any kind of outbreak.
It could and it probably will - although as has been said, we will be able to treat and contain it far better than poverty stricken countries like Sierra Leone.
It could, but I don't believe it would spread very far/quickly. We're a much more developed country and we'd be expecting it and have some idea of how to contain it.
Reply 9
Yes it isn't very contagious, but it is already in Europe and now the spread is being described as "unavoidable"
Original post by DarkWhite
It could, but I don't believe it would spread very far/quickly. We're a much more developed country and we'd be expecting it and have some idea of how to contain it.

Original post by G8D
It won't spread widely in the UK and we are well prepared to treat it. It's not something to worry about.

Original post by Reluire
It could and it probably will - although as has been said, we will be able to treat and contain it far better than poverty stricken countries like Sierra Leone.

Original post by Chlorophile
If it did, it wouldn't matter. Ebola isn't very contagious and we're well equipped to contain any kind of outbreak.

Sorry to quote you all but you all sound more 'clued-up' on this than me. Is the virus itself treatable? Is it fatal in most cases?
Original post by 3309will
Sorry to quote you all but you all sound more 'clued-up' on this than me. Is the virus itself treatable? Is it fatal in most cases?

It is treatable. It's a very unpleasant disease but with good medical attention (as you'd get in the UK) I think most people wouldn't die.
It could do, since symptoms can take a while to show. Many people can have the disease and not realise it for a week or two. I doubt it'll be much to worry about since its beatable with good treatment (which we have in the UK, unlike poverty stricken areas in West Africa hence why it's caused so many fatalities there).
Original post by mollyxrose
It could do, since symptoms can take a while to show. Many people can have the disease and not realise it for a week or two. I doubt it'll be much to worry about since its beatable with good treatment (which we have in the UK, unlike poverty stricken areas in West Africa hence why it's caused so many fatalities there).

So it's like swine flu?
Original post by Zeetingman
So it's like swine flu?

In a sense, yeah. Although there's a vaccination for swine flu but there isn't yet one for ebola.
Of course Ebola could come to the UK and in my opinion it probably will due to the nature of the world we live in today. However, there's no reason to panic as all of these viruses such as H1N1 Ebola and many more to come in the future are not killing as many people as other diseases such as cancer do. There is a huge hype about Ebola due to the news coverage and whenever the news get hold of something it turns into a huge fiasco! Don't get me wrong, Ebola is a serious virus that has terrible consequences but I think people are panicking far too match at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
A recent study based on air traffic patterns predicted that the UK would see a case in the next month at a 50% or so chance if traffic patterns stay the same. The likelihood is due to Heathrow's position as an International travel hub.

Why? Checks like this don't do anything. The guy who turned up in the US went through an airport and would not have triggered any scans as the disease had not developed yet. A better idea would be to provide better vigilance in hospitals so that cases are not missed as they were in the US or spread by inappropriately equipped and perhaps trained staff as in Spain.

Well, better it doesn't because my immune system is already weak and I'd probably be one of the first people to catch it :erm:
Reply 17
Original post by ForgetMe
Well, better it doesn't because my immune system is already weak and I'd probably be one of the first people to catch it :erm:

Just make sure noone bleeds on you, which is good advice for day to day life anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
As it passes in sweat, if it get here and spreads maybe avoid hand shakes and touching often used hard surfaces in public places, with bare fingers.
Buttons on lifts, pelican crossings, atm's, handrail on stars etc.
A few sensible precautions shouldnt turn yourlife upside down.
Thank God its not air born.
"Sweat together, stay together." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whats the odds on that?
What an appropriate advert.😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending