The Student Room Group

Audi A3 Help

I'm selecting a car to get under my company's car scheme, and I've got it down to two.

I'm either going for the:

Audi A3 Diesel Hatchback 2.0 TDI SE

or the

Audi A3 Hatchback 1.4 TFSI 150 Sport

The former is £1 cheaper per month.

Can anyone give an insight into the pros/cons of each? Like power, running costs, mpg etc? And above that which you'd pick and why.

Thank you :colondollar:
Reply 1
Both engines are excellent.

From a driving point of view I personally prefer turbo-charged petrol engines; nowadays they have almost as much torque as a diesel and the wider usable rev range makes them much more entertaining to drive.

In real-world driving, the petrol will do about 50 mpg on a long run, the diesel something over 60 mpg.

T3
Reply 2
Original post by trident3
Both engines are excellent.

From a driving point of view I personally prefer turbo-charged petrol engines; nowadays they have almost as much torque as a diesel and the wider usable rev range makes them much more entertaining to drive.

In real-world driving, the petrol will do about 50 mpg on a long run, the diesel something over 60 mpg.

T3

Thanks!

So which do you think is the better option for daily commutes to client sites (i.e. a range of different driving day to day; motorways, rural and city)
Reply 3
I'd go for the TDI personally, but I'm biased.
Original post by stirkee
I'm selecting a car to get under my company's car scheme, and I've got it down to two.

or the

Can anyone give an insight into the pros/cons of each? Like power, running costs, mpg etc? And above that which you'd pick and why.

Is that TDI a 150 or 180 PS?

I looked into the Audi A3 Sedan and compared it against a Mercedes CLA, ended up didn't buy either as we opted for a Volvo V60.

One of the reason why the Volvo was selected was due to better room, better comfort, being Swedish made, slightly lower price and overall from our testing it returned better fuel economy and in Norway it is generally cheaper to maintain as well as has better residual values.

Several variants were tested prior to buying over 5 days and 200km, 1.4TFSI, 2.0TDI and 2.0TDI Quattro. Both the FWD models returned fairly similar fuel economy. However the TFSI can feel sluggish as when the car senses that there isn't a heavy load it will deactivate 2 engine cylinders at low speeds. Driving on motorways both felt decent though I personally preferred the tfsi over the tdi as it was more refined and the fuel consumption didn't make that big a difference. I'd probably opt for the petrol as in the near future the tax on diesels will go up.

Maintenance, the petrol will generally be cheaper to maintain.
Original post by stirkee

or the

Sport. I am considering an A3 at the moment, and I like the extras that the sport has, e.g. lower suspension and sports seats. Should also deliver a better fuel economy if it has a smaller engine.
Original post by Alfissti
Is that TDI a 150 or 180 PS?

I looked into the Audi A3 Sedan and compared it against a Mercedes CLA, ended up didn't buy either as we opted for a Volvo V60.

One of the reason why the Volvo was selected was due to better room, better comfort, being Swedish made, slightly lower price and overall from our testing it returned better fuel economy and in Norway it is generally cheaper to maintain as well as has better residual values.

Several variants were tested prior to buying over 5 days and 200km, 1.4TFSI, 2.0TDI and 2.0TDI Quattro. Both the FWD models returned fairly similar fuel economy. However the TFSI can feel sluggish as when the car senses that there isn't a heavy load it will deactivate 2 engine cylinders at low speeds. Driving on motorways both felt decent though I personally preferred the tfsi over the tdi as it was more refined and the fuel consumption didn't make that big a difference. I'd probably opt for the petrol as in the near future the tax on diesels will go up.

Maintenance, the petrol will generally be cheaper to maintain.

You looked at an Audi and a Mercedes... and ended up with a Volvo :lolwut:
Original post by Runninground

Exactly ^^ how did that happen

I take it you've not driven or rode in a Mercedes CLA or an Audi A3 Sedan?

If you have you will know why the Volvo was selected. Plus a Swedish car made in Sweden > German branded car made in Eastern Europe.
I take it you've not driven or rode in a Mercedes CLA or an Audi A3 Sedan?

If you have you will know why the Volvo was selected. Plus a Swedish car made in Sweden > German branded car made in Eastern Europe.

But even if I had, I would never choose a Volvo if it was up against an Audi!
But even if I had, I would never choose a Volvo if it was up against an Audi!

Why not?
Reply 11
Why not?

because brands and Audi is a German whip brah
Original post by iamu
because brands and Audi is a German whip brah

Its only a German whip if it is made in Germany, newish and a higher end model :smile:
Reply 13
Its only a German whip if it is made in Germany, newish and a higher end model :smile:

lel

those that want a 'German whip' will take any Audi, Merc, Beamer

brb 13 year old a4, G whip
Why not?

Idk it's just the brand. I would want a car that looks good and has a good brand. Nothing worse than seeing a car that looks really good, only to find out it's a Skoda or something!!

Original post by iamu
lel

those that want a 'German whip' will take any Audi, Merc, Beamer

brb 13 year old a4, G whip

I wouldn't take any Audi etc, only if it's a newish one.

I aint driving round in some clapped out old banger just because it's got some silver circles stuck on the front!!
Reply 15
Idk it's just the brand. I would want a car that looks good and has a good brand. Nothing worse than seeing a car that looks really good, only to find out it's a Skoda or something!!

I wouldn't take any Audi etc, only if it's a newish one.

I aint driving round in some clapped out old banger just because it's got some silver circles stuck on the front!!

but volvo is a good brand and they do looks good
Reply 16
gone for the petrol.

The waiting game now begins!

Quick Reply

Latest