The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erudite
I have predictions of AAA but I reaaaaally still wanna apply, should I go for it or is it pointless?

From what I gather, that's fine if you come from a state school, if you go/went to a grammar school then you'll need A*AA. This is based off what people here were given
Is anyone else applying to exeter and plymouth?
Original post by Jaska
Is anyone else applying to exeter and plymouth?

Yes! :tongue:
Original post by Clubba
Yes! :tongue:

XD Im thinking of applying to plymouth now because my DA was only 610 but when the average came out, it seems like I will make the cut off :smile: Which other 2 universities are you thinking of?
Original post by Jaska
XD Im thinking of applying to plymouth now because my DA was only 610 but when the average came out, it seems like I will make the cut off :smile: Which other 2 universities are you thinking of?

Ah cool! Don't forget some people may not apply there after seeing last years cut off thinking they won't make it so the cutoff may just be higher that we expect :tongue: I'm also applying to Manchester and Queen Mary. How about yourself?
Original post by Clubba
Ah cool! Don't forget some people may not apply there after seeing last years cut off thinking they won't make it so the cutoff may just be higher that we expect :tongue: I'm also applying to Manchester and Queen Mary. How about yourself?

Ah nice, It really depends how risky I'm willing to go - my safe options would be St.Georges and UEA, but I might swap one for Manchester, but Im not sure if my 680 will be enough :L
Original post by Jaska
Ah nice, It really depends how risky I'm willing to go - my safe options would be St.Georges and UEA, but I might swap one for Manchester, but Im not sure if my 680 will be enough :L

If you've got 2 safe options I guess 1 or 2 risky options would be okay. I got 707.5 but I'm a WP Plus applicant for Manchester :tongue:
Original post by Jaska

Manchester now look at the top 1000 ukcat scores.

With 680 you have a good chance! Last year's cut off was only around 35 above the average, and also this year scores have come down
Original post by CubicleG
Manchester now look at the top 1000 ukcat scores.

With 680 you have a good chance! Last year's cut off was only around 35 above the average, and also this year scores have come down

So how do they differentiate between the top 1000 applicants?
Original post by Jaska

The PS, but they will give roughly 850-900 interviews to the top 1000, so it's pretty good!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jaska

http://www.mms.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/mbchb5year/applicationMay2014.pdf
Original post by CubicleG
The PS, but they will give roughly 850-900 interviews to the top 1000, so it's pretty good!

But isn't that what they did last year, and the cutoff was 705?
Original post by Jaska
But isn't that what they did last year, and the cutoff was 705?

yeah but the scores are considerably down. This years scores are more similar to the 2013 entry where the cut off was 640 (with WP flag) / 662 (for everyone else)
(edited 9 years ago)
So I have A*ABB achieved (#failure), and I keep getting scared they'll want me to get another A*... I'm pretty sure they won't as they say that resitter a aren't disadvantaged but Manz be frettin'
Hey,

I have achieved 3A's at A Level(am I at a disadvantage?).
I have 9.5A* and 1A at GCSE.
4 A's at AS.
702.5 (2810) ukcat, band 1.

What are my chances and how does exeter score my application?
Reply 135
Hey guys, I'm a gap year applicant (First time applying to Exeter). My stats are:

GCSE: 2A* 9As B
A Level (achieved): A*AAa
UKCAT: 717.5 (2870) Band 1

I know they don't focus on GCSEs. My question is, am I at an advantage because I have already achieved my A levels compared to someone with predicted A*AA? If not, that is ridiculous in my opinion. It's easy to be predicted 5A*s but whether you achieve that or not is a whole other story!
Original post by Shib147
Hey guys, I'm a gap year applicant (First time applying to Exeter). My stats are:

GCSE: 2A* 9As B
A Level (achieved): A*AAa
UKCAT: 717.5 (2870) Band 1

I know they don't focus on GCSEs. My question is, am I at an advantage because I have already achieved my A levels compared to someone with predicted A*AA? If not, that is ridiculous in my opinion. It's easy to be predicted 5A*s but whether you achieve that or not is a whole other story!

99% sure you'll get an interview, once there it's all on your performance in the interview
If UEMS was a girl id marry her, and if UEMS was a guy I reckon he could turn me.
Hey guys! I am thinking of applying to Exeter but I am a bit worried about my UKCAT.. I got 665 average. But my academics are very good! I am doing the IB and I got 44/45, when they only require 36-38! Do you think I should risk it?
Thank you!!
Original post by marzie1997
Hey guys! I am thinking of applying to Exeter but I am a bit worried about my UKCAT.. I got 665 average. But my academics are very good! I am doing the IB and I got 44/45, when they only require 36-38! Do you think I should risk it?
Thank you!!

They only look at ukcat and predicted/achieved a levels? i have no idea about the IB but 665 might just make it this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending