The Student Room Group

MEng or BEng

Looking to apply for either mechanical and materials engineering BEng at University of Liverpool (russell group) or mechanical engineering with a year in industry MEng at Liverpool John Moores.

So the question is, is a BEng course in a Russell group more desirable for an employee than a MEng course in a lower ranked university?????
Original post by physics123123123
Looking to apply for either mechanical and materials engineering BEng at University of Liverpool (russell group) or mechanical engineering with a year in industry MEng at Liverpool John Moores.

So the question is, is a BEng course in a Russell group more desirable for an employee than a MEng course in a lower ranked university?????

MEng is a higher qualification and the year in industry will make you a lot more attractive to employers.

As Smack said: The higher qualification (and a MEng will be covered by the student loan, a MSc after a BEng will have to be paid/financed by yourself) and especially the year in the industry (!!!) will help.

At the end the course content is important as well as the part which prepares you for working. As Engineering is not as old and traditional, the overall ranking of the university is of less interest and you have really to look at what the course actually offers you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nathanielle
and a MEng will be covered by the student loan, a MSc after a BEng will have to be paid/financed by yourself) .

Hi, you got a source for that?
Original post by ubisoft
Hi, you got a source for that?

Student finance does not cover postgraduate degrees, but it does cover undergraduate degrees, and hence will cover the full MEng.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Student finance does not cover postgraduate degrees, but it does cover undergraduate degrees, and hence will cover the full MEng.

How come Msci is post graduate and Meng is undergraduate? Aren't they both years?
Original post by ubisoft
How come Msci is post graduate and Meng is undergraduate? Aren't they both years?

MSci is actually an undergraduate degree, like an MEng but in a science subject.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
MSci is actually an undergraduate degree, like an MEng but in a science subject.

Soo Msc will not have to be paid yourself like Nathanielle said? I'm confused.
Original post by ubisoft
Soo Msc will not have to be paid yourself like Nathanielle said? I'm confused.

MSc = postgraduate masters, which student finance will not cover.

MSci/MEng = integrated masters degree, in that the bachelors and masters are integrated to give one full degree at masters level. As it's still an undergrad degree, i.e. you don't need to have a previous degree to enter it, student finance will cover the whole degree.
Reply 9
Ah, alright. I was confusing MSc and MSci as the same thing.
Reply 10
If you want to end up with chartered status, life is a lot easier if you have an MEng... having said that, if you're on a BEng, it is often easy to switch up to the MEng and if you're on a MEng and don't do well enough they'll transfer you to BEng anyway.

The other thing to think about is that even if your course doesn't have a Year in Industry included, if you ask about doing one they will often support you.

This is only what I have gathered from applying and offer-holder days as I am currently taking a year out working in industry before I start at university. I currently hold an unconditional for a BEng but have every intention of attempting to end up with an MEng.

I don't actually study at either university so I would call/email the admissions office to confirm the below:

I would actually take the offer of the BEng at Unv. of Liverpool. My guess is that your grades aren't high enough for the MEng? As roar said, moving up from the BEng to the MEng is almost always possible at all universities if you get a 2.i at the end of the second year. And If you fail to get a 2.i, you usually get put back down on the BEng course, even if you were originally on the MEng course.

In short, it really doesn't matter if you are starting on the BEng course or the MEng course. You need to get a 2.i in your second year to progress on the MEng.

No university is going to stop you for doing a year in industry. You will need to find the placement yourself at both universities and in my opinion, you'll find it easier coming from a Russell Group. Employers do take into account what university you go to.

Original post by Smack
MSc = postgraduate masters, which student finance will not cover.

MSci/MEng = integrated masters degree, in that the bachelors and masters are integrated to give one full degree at masters level. As it's still an undergrad degree, i.e. you don't need to have a previous degree to enter it, student finance will cover the whole degree.

This is correct. There are some advantages to doing an MSc, however. If you want to do a Phd. or apply for a job abroad, often they will require postgraduate qualifications and they won't count the MEng. In the UK, however, they are considered equal. Both will also fulfill the academic criteria for becoming chartered.

You do have to self-fund an MSc, although often companies will sponsor you through this so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Reply 12

Go to university of liverpool and average a higher 2:1 for yrs 1-3 and you will be allowed to do an MENG

Quick Reply

Latest