The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys
I'm thinking of applying here
What do you reckon my chances are with the following stats;

8A* and an A in english language at GCSE
AS : AAA in biology, chemistry and maths and a B in physics(dropped for A2)
Predicted AAA for A2
UKCAT of 720 Band 1
Good Personal Statement with 3 Work experience placements and a year of care home volunteering aswell as other extra curric

PS. I'm desperate as. I have to choose tomorrow
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by legend4lyf
Hi guys

Predicted AAA for A2
UKCAT of 720 Band 1
Good Personal Statement with 3 Work experience placements and a year of care home volunteering aswell as other extra curric

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

if i were you i would look at other top unis ...st georges is considered a safe one .. you would definitely make it to the interview!
Original post by Paras Agarwal
if i were you i would look at other top unis ...st georges is considered a safe one .. you would definitely make it to the interview!

Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of applying to Manchester, Newcastle and HYMS but I'm struggling in decide whether to go for Nottingham as 4th or play it safe with St Georges

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of applying to Manchester, Newcastle and HYMS but I'm struggling in decide whether to go for Nottingham as 4th or play it safe with St Georges

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would go with Nottingham because your UKCAT is above 700 first of all and from the reports published today you are in the 9th decile so you would make it. Its up to you in the end.

Good luck you have great choices!
Original post by Paras Agarwal
i would go with Nottingham because your UKCAT is above 700 first of all and from the reports published today you are in the 9th decile so you would make it. Its up to you in the end.

Good luck you have great choices!

Thanks a lot for the advice
I can't find the latest UKCAT report can u post a link please
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure if I should apply here.

I have achieved a-levels of AAA.

I have 5A* , 7A' and 1 B (english lang but i have an A in eng lit) GCSE

However, my ukcat is 2450 each subset is >500
Reply 346
Well looking at the flowchart if you have a average of 8 A's at gcse including your normal subjects (maths, english), predicted grades of AAA and a 4th AS that is a B or an A, and last but not least ukcat meets cut off you should be fine for an interview.
Reply 347
Hi, can someone please explain St George's selection procedure to me? Thanks!
Reply 348
Original post by nik345
Hi, can someone please explain St George's selection procedure to me? Thanks!

Hey, on the website it says candidates are selected for interview using UKCAT and academics.

UKCAT (United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test)

Score (each individual section): 500 in each section or above
+
Overall test score: We will receive the UKCAT results for 2015 entry in November 2014 and at that time will confirm the minimum overall score required to be selected for interview. We will not be using the SJT section of the test.

Additional Information: UKCAT results are used to select students for interview and to rank our post-interview waiting list.

GCSE
Points 416 points from the top eight subjects (equivalent to an average of grade A).
Point System A* - 58, A - 52, B - 46, C - 40, D - 34, E - 28
Subjects Must include:
English Language (minimum grade B)
Mathematics
and Dual Award or the three separate sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics).

A Levels
Grades AAAb
A level: AAA
AS level: B in a fourth subject
Subjects A level: Three subjects to include Chemistry and/or Biology/Human Biology.
AS level: Four subjects to include Chemistry and Biology/Human Biology.
General Studies and Key Skills not accepted.
Mathematics and Further Mathematics (A level or AS level) studied in combination can be considered.
Reply 349
Hi guys

Predicted AAA for A2
UKCAT of 720 Band 1

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hii, my application is very similar to yours, I'm applying to St. George's as my safe. And also I'm applying to Kings, Nottingham and Manchester, hope this helps :smile:
Original post by lg2012
Hey, on the website it says candidates are selected for interview using UKCAT and academics.

+
Overall test score: We will receive the UKCAT results for 2015 entry in November 2014 and at that time will confirm the minimum overall score required to be selected for interview. We will not be using the SJT section of the test.

Additional Information: UKCAT results are used to select students for interview and to rank our post-interview waiting list.

GCSE
Points 416 points from the top eight subjects (equivalent to an average of grade A).
Subjects Must include:
Mathematics

A Levels
Grades AAAb
Subjects A level: Three subjects to include Chemistry and/or Biology/Human Biology.
Mathematics and Further Mathematics (A level or AS level) studied in combination can be considered.

Just to add to the above - last year's overall cut off for the UKCAT was 2590.

Original post by faddys123
Not sure if I should apply here.

I have achieved a-levels of AAA.

I have 5A* , 7A' and 1 B (english lang but i have an A in eng lit) GCSE

However, my ukcat is 2450 each subset is >500

See above. It may be a bit risky tbh.
Original post by lg2012
Hii, my application is very similar to yours, I'm applying to St. George's as my safe. And also I'm applying to Kings, Nottingham and Manchester, hope this helps :smile:

That's great because I'm also applying to Manchester, HYMS and Newcastle.
I'm just struggling on whether to go for Nottingham aswell or play it safe with St Georges

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just struggling on whether to go for Nottingham aswell or play it safe with St Georges

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say Nottingham since fewer people have been getting high scores so competition would probably reduce slightly???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I'd say Nottingham since fewer people have been getting high scores so competition would probably reduce slightly???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks do u think a score of 46/52 would get me through to PS stage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 354
Original post by lg2012

+

GCSE
Subjects Must include:
Mathematics

A Levels
Grades AAAb

Thanks very much! :smile:
Reply 355

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think now it depends on what you like because either would probably take you, also St. George's interview isn't very nice I've heard. But they do interview lots of people.
Original post by theblackmemba
Hey guys,

I have achieved grades of A*ABCa, but I go to a school where I fit the 'adjusted criteria' - I called up and they said I am eligible to apply...

Im not sure how it works, would I be considered as if I have achieved AAA? My UKCAT is 672.5, all above 500.

I have a fear that I would be disadvantaged and not treated like others... does anyone have any experience of this? anyone got in this way?

Thanks!

Hiya

I am in the same situation as you but I believe what we have to do is resit to get the required grades as I got A*ABc but I will be predicted A*AAb and I am eligible for the adjusted criteria.

I was told we get compared to the avg points per person at our school to see how well we have done. It's on their entry requirements page if you want more info as i am not entirely sure too but if anyone else knows please let us know!

Original post by lg2012
I think now it depends on what you like because either would probably take you, also St. George's interview isn't very nice I've heard. But they do interview lots of people.

oh damn :/ not very nice? what do you reckon people mean by that?
Original post by blissfully
oh damn :/ not very nice? what do you reckon people mean by that?

I thought it was quite intense but your experience might be different. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joannywhite
I thought it was quite intense but your experience might be different. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks, by intense do you mean like they were all very strict and not very nice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending