The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I've applied for Biochemistry at Manchester :smile: anyone got any offers yet?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by rdmchill
Is this offers for both domestic and international?

Both, I believe. I don't see why they'd implement one for overseas and not for domestic.
Bear in mind I also do A levels, so it's no like they're implementing a system for people with other qualifications; this change is for everyone.
Original post by AlexGDuarte
Would you reccomend Manchester University? Is it a good university for engineering and a good city to live in? How much does it cost to live there?

I can't tell you anything about engineering but I promise you it is an excellent city to live in, I live there already so maybe I'm biased but I honestly believe it's the best city in the UK after London. It's got excellent shopping, restaurants, theatres and nightlife, and I think the biggest student population in Europe? I've visited the uni several times (did a Nuffield placement there this summer) and it has some of the best facilities I've seen, and it's an all round good place with a mixture of nice architecture but modern inside. It's also right in the city so you're in the centre of things. It doesn't cost too much to live here, it's certainly much cheaper than London of any other Southern city.
Original post by lucymellor
I can't tell you anything about engineering but I promise you it is an excellent city to live in, I live there already so maybe I'm biased but I honestly believe it's the best city in the UK after London. It's got excellent shopping, restaurants, theatres and nightlife, and I think the biggest student population in Europe? I've visited the uni several times (did a Nuffield placement there this summer) and it has some of the best facilities I've seen, and it's an all round good place with a mixture of nice architecture but modern inside. It's also right in the city so you're in the centre of things. It doesn't cost too much to live here, it's certainly much cheaper than London of any other Southern city.

Really? I mean, my current University also has good facilities, but the teaching is so poor.. that's why I want to move and start all over again.
And people? Are people nice in Manchester?

Hm, how much would you say I'd spend, per month?
Would you reccomend Manchester University? Is it a good university for engineering and a good city to live in? How much does it cost to live there?

Which type of engineering?
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Which type of engineering?

Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering. I'm not sure yet, but one of them.
Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering. I'm not sure yet, but one of them.

Oh ok, I'm not as familiar with those but you might want to have a look at the Unistats pages for Mechanical and Aerospace. They contain some useful stuff about student satisfaction etc. The School of MACE's website also has some info on the various facilities which you might find interesting.
Really? I mean, my current University also has good facilities, but the teaching is so poor.. that's why I want to move and start all over again.
And people? Are people nice in Manchester?

Hm, how much would you say I'd spend, per month?

Honestly when my friend visited from London she was literally shocked at how people are so friendly and speak to each other. She told me that if you even look at someone in London you're likely to get stabbed haha. I get asked for directions on an almost daily basis and if you meet my grandma she is likely to tell you her life story.
I can't give you any personal experience of living costs since I live with my parents, but Manchester's website estimates £800-£900 a month.
Oh ok, I'm not as familiar with those but you might want to have a look at the Unistats pages for Mechanical and Aerospace. They contain some useful stuff about student satisfaction etc. The School of MACE's website also has some info on the various facilities which you might find interesting.

Oh, cool! Thank you, the website is very interesting.

Original post by lucymellor
Honestly when my friend visited from London she was literally shocked at how people are so friendly and speak to each other. She told me that if you even look at someone in London you're likely to get stabbed haha. I get asked for directions on an almost daily basis and if you meet my grandma she is likely to tell you her life story.
I can't give you any personal experience of living costs since I live with my parents, but Manchester's website estimates £800-£900 a month.

ahaha, so, yeah, people are nice! That's cool! :smile:
Have any other chem eng applicants been invited for interview. My interview is on the 22/10/14

Yes, same day! See you there! One other person from my college is coming on that day too :smile:
Any other computer science applicants? Anyone notice the BSC entry grades went up from AAB to AAA in the last few days online :/
Im applying for Law :biggrin: so stressed about getting offers etc :frown:
Iv just applied to audiology :smile:
Original post by kara1702
Yes, same day! See you there! One other person from my college is coming on that day too :smile:

Thats really cool. I was wondering whether you had an idea what the interview is about and does an interview invite basically mean we have an offer.
Original post by nectempus
Any other computer science applicants? Anyone notice the BSC entry grades went up from AAB to AAA in the last few days online :/

not a good news :frown:
Anybody else got interviews on 11th November?
Really scared it will just be me lol :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
Anybody else got interviews on 11th November?
Really scared it will just be me lol :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They get around 60,000 applications a year, you're definitely not going to be the only one. :smile:
Thats really cool. I was wondering whether you had an idea what the interview is about and does an interview invite basically mean we have an offer.

I've spoken to lots of people who have been to Manchester for chem eng and they've all said that getting an interview gives you a "99% chance of getting an offer", and some people got their offer the next day! And given that we've gotten our application in so early and been invited to the first set of 'interviews' (which sounds more formal than the email makes it sound), I don't think we really need to worry too much about getting an offer.

As for what the interview is about, one girl who graduated chem eng there last year said she only said a handful of words because her interviewer was chatting so much about some amazing industrial process, and she barely had chance to say anything! From what I've heard it's a very informal process, and it seems to be more of a sales pitch to get us to pick Manchester as first choice, rather than to see if we're good enough to get in - I imagine they've already decided that based on our AS and predicted grades, but their policy says that they cannot offer a place unless they have 'interviewed' you. This is obviously completely different for other courses there like Physics which are massively over-subscribed, but chem eng has much less applicants per place, a huge number of spaces available and great new facilities in the new School of Chemical Engineering (taking over from the old building which was The Mill).

Hope this has helped :biggrin:
They get around 60,000 applications a year, you're definitely not going to be the only one. :smile:

I know I know, its about 1200 to physics/astronomy, its just when I think about it this will be one of the first sets of interviews so not sure how many people have applied this early yano?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
I know I know, its about 1200 to physics/astronomy, its just when I think about it this will be one of the first sets of interviews so not sure how many people have applied this early yano?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine they only schedule an interview day when they've got enough people to make it worthwhile.

Latest

Trending

Trending