The Student Room Group

Applying for different courses

I've just completed an Access to Science and Health and applying to university for 2015. My question is; do all 5 courses have to be the same?
As a mature student, I am unable to relocate therefore I'm left to commute to the closest unis, and therefore my choice is pretty limited. These are the courses I'm looking at applying for:

Sheffield Hallam: Human Biology or Biomedical Science
University of Derby: Human Biology
Leeds University: I'm torn on this one between 3 choices and going to make my decision when I've been and visited the department. Medical Science / Human Physiology / Pharmacology
Huddersfield Medical Biology
Leeds Met Biomedical Science (Human biology)

Will it look bad on my application that I will have 2/3 different courses? Obviously, like I said, my university options are pretty limited and none of the universities seem to offer the same course e.g. Leeds doesn't offer biomedical science or human biology. I don't want to look like I'm not dedicated to my course and, looking at the course content, most of the courses look pretty similar.
Reply 1
Original post by Tw1x
I've just completed an Access to Science and Health and applying to university for 2015. My question is; do all 5 courses have to be the same?
As a mature student, I am unable to relocate therefore I'm left to commute to the closest unis, and therefore my choice is pretty limited. These are the courses I'm looking at applying for:

Sheffield Hallam: Human Biology or Biomedical Science
University of Derby: Human Biology
Leeds University: I'm torn on this one between 3 choices and going to make my decision when I've been and visited the department. Medical Science / Human Physiology / Pharmacology
Huddersfield Medical Biology
Leeds Met Biomedical Science (Human biology)

Will it look bad on my application that I will have 2/3 different courses? Obviously, like I said, my university options are pretty limited and none of the universities seem to offer the same course e.g. Leeds doesn't offer biomedical science or human biology. I don't want to look like I'm not dedicated to my course and, looking at the course content, most of the courses look pretty similar.

None of the unis can see where else you've applied, so they won't know you're applying for courses with different names. The only drawback to applying for more than one course is writing a PS to cover them all - and Human Biology/(Bio)Medical Science etc are closely enough related that you will not have a problem doing that. Of course, you won't be able to name a specific subject in your PS, but that is relatively easy.
Reply 2
Original post by nerdcake
None of the unis can see where else you've applied, so they won't know you're applying for courses with different names. The only drawback to applying for more than one course is writing a PS to cover them all - and Human Biology/(Bio)Medical Science etc are closely enough related that you will not have a problem doing that. Of course, you won't be able to name a specific subject in your PS, but that is relatively easy.

Oh wow, I never actually knew other universities couldn't see where you've applied to. I won't be able to name the course as you've said, but all the courses are extremely similar therefore I can just mention specific aspects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending