The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KF99
Silly question - but where on FPAS are the white space questions for AUoAs? I can't seem to find them :confused:

If you go to academic selection, and choose yes for the "do you wish to apply for AFP" question, it then asks which unit of application. Once you've chose that a new section appears at the side called academic items, with the name of the UoA in brackets.
Reply 41
Original post by jco91
If you go to academic selection, and choose yes for the "do you wish to apply for AFP" question, it then asks which unit of application. Once you've chose that a new section appears at the side called academic items, with the name of the UoA in brackets.

Thanks!

I'm guessing that this maybe only appears after you have listed all the programmes you wish to apply for? At the moment I have Academic selection (AUoA selected), then after doing so "Academic programmes (AUoA)" appeared but no sign of "Academic Items" as yet.
I think it also depends on whether the AUoA you're applying for also have white-space questions. Which one are you applying for? There are white space questions for South West and Thames.
Reply 43
So it seems that Scotland do not have white space questions this year!
Possibly, they should just be on the right hand side of the application form once you say you want to apply for the academic foundation programme in Scotland! Make sure to add all those extra educational achievements!
Reply 45
Original post by alicexelizabeth
Possibly, they should just be on the right hand side of the application form once you say you want to apply for the academic foundation programme in Scotland! Make sure to add all those extra educational achievements!

Thanks for your reply but nope there is nothing appearing on the right hand side! I've asked friends also applying to Scotland and they have found the same! I've been through all others and Scotland is the ONLY AUoA where the is no "academic items" box appearing.. feels like some horrible mistake! Especially as lots of those involved at my university and in the selection process for AFP in Scotland have been stressing the importance of the white space questions to us!

Bizarre!

But yes, looks like those extra educational achievements shall be very important!
Original post by KF99
Silly question - but where on FPAS are the white space questions for AUoAs? I can't seem to find them :confused:

Lets be silly together - I was looking for them too... :p:
Reply 47
Original post by Medicine Man
Lets be silly together - I was looking for them too... :p:

Glad to know its not just me! :colondollar:
Reply 48
Does anyone know how AFP applications are judged? Do all applicants get pooled centrally and ranked in order of score... and then applications are considered on a rank-to-jobpreference basis?

Or do you only get compared to others who have applied for the same job?

I ask this because I am considering both research and education jobs; if I put my first preference as research and tailor my white space questions towards this... will I still be in consideration for my second rank education job if I don't get my first, but still score high enough on the questions? Or will someone with more education related white space answers get the job?
Original post by jammin
Does anyone know how AFP applications are judged? Do all applicants get pooled centrally and ranked in order of score... and then applications are considered on a rank-to-jobpreference basis?

Or do you only get compared to others who have applied for the same job?

I ask this because I am considering both research and education jobs; if I put my first preference as research and tailor my white space questions towards this... will I still be in consideration for my second rank education job if I don't get my first, but still score high enough on the questions? Or will someone with more education related white space answers get the job?

Your application is considered individually by the AUoAs you have applied for. It will vary according to each AUoA, but usually your application will be graded, and then they'll invite the top scorers to interview. Then after interview you will be scored again and that will determine whether you are offered a job or not. Depends on your score and the number of jobs available.

I'm not really sure how best to approach your application. The ones I have applied for have separate questions for education and research. Perhaps mix it up a bit, give equal weighting to both.
Reply 50
For anyone who might be interested -

Scotland AUoA forgot to upload the "academic items" to FPAS yesterday! Thus the problems I was having with being unable to find the section!

So there are white questions for Scotland AFP and these have been uploaded today!
For Thames AFP, you are allowed to put down presentations that have been accepted by the 17th Oct but haven't actually been presented yet, right? Do you just put down the date of the conference and when you propose to present it - presumably because you will have to prove these at the interview (should you get one), just putting it down on the form should be ok, right?

Also, the intercalated degree and publications I put down for the EPM section of the normal FP form are at the top of the AFP part of the form - I presume there's no need for me to put them down again as "further achievements" because I'd still get the points for them from the EPM part of the form, right?

I'm weary of duplicating achievements but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on any points. :s
Reply 52
Original post by Medicine Man
For Thames AFP, you are allowed to put down presentations that have been accepted by the 17th Oct but haven't actually been presented yet, right? Do you just put down the date of the conference and when you propose to present it - presumably because you will have to prove these at the interview (should you get one), just putting it down on the form should be ok, right?

Also, the intercalated degree and publications I put down for the EPM section of the normal FP form are at the top of the AFP part of the form - I presume there's no need for me to put them down again as "further achievements" because I'd still get the points for them from the EPM part of the form, right?

I'm weary of duplicating achievements but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on any points. :s

I'm in a similar position with conferences (frustratingly, mine is on the 18th!). I don't think you'll be penalised for putting it down, as long as you're honest with the dates they can decide themselves whether you get a point for it or not.

As for the degrees, I suspect you're right given that they emphasise it's a section for things that you haven't already mentioned above, but I'm inclined to stick my degree in again anyway for the reasons outlined above (if it's in there and they don't want it, they can just ignore it, but if it's not in there then you might not get any points at all).
Might give AFP in Y&H a crack. Anyone else considering?
Reply 54
Original post by Isometrix

It is one I am considering as a second choice - but not sure yet exactly what I will do :smile:
Original post by KF99
It is one I am considering as a second choice - but not sure yet exactly what I will do :smile:

Urgh their white space questions are annoying the hell out of me. Why can't they be simple and to the point like Severn's....:rolleyes:
Does anyone know how competitive AFP in Aberdeen is? Struggling to find any data on it.
Also, does anyone else have a massive dilemma over whether to apply to AFP, or some really good FP tracks?
These white space questions seriously remind me of UCAS all over again.

:nothing:
Reply 59
Original post by Isometrix

Yup my first choice - the north yorkshire programs look great. Agreed that the white space questions are irritating though.

Latest

Trending

Trending