The Student Room Group

If evolution is real then how come in the west, African people are black?

You know the ones that have been in a western climate for generations? Shouldn't their skin begin to become lighter? I just can't wrap my head around this.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marky Mark
You know the ones that have been in a western climate for generations? Shouldn't their skin begin to become lighter? I just can't wrap my head around this.

Please read more about evolution before talking about it. Evolution happens because some mutations happen in certain individuals in a species that makes them survive better; therefore having a bigger chance of procreating and making more individuals with that special mutation. Evolution doesn't happen in one generation it happens between thousands of generations; you do not change your genes (mutate) during your lifetime, only between generations. Plus humans don't need to do that, that's why we have hospitals and doctors.
Reply 2
You will always be black.
Reply 3
Original post by gagafacea1
Please read more about evolution before talking about it. Evolution happens because some mutations happen in certain individuals in a species that makes them survive better; therefore having a bigger chance of procreating and making more individuals with that special mutation. Evolution doesn't happen in one generation it happens between thousands of generations; you do not change your genes (mutate) during your lifetime, only between generations. Plus humans don't need to do that, that's why we have hospitals and doctors.

This is not true.

Evolution occurs due to sexual selection, genetic drift, founders effect, mutations

it's not quite as simple as you think.

Evolution is happening with black people. They mate with the local people and their offspring are only part black and then their children are more likely to have babies with white people and eventually their children will be white.

Essentially a form of genetic drift and sexual selection.
Reply 4

I think you need to "read more about evolution before talking" because gene mutation is just one aspect that leads to Variations the others being sexual reproduction and gene flow.

And I did acknowledge that it's more than one generations. Some black people have been here for 300+ years.

What does skin colour have to do with seeing the doctor?

You're clueless evidently
Original post by Brolyfe
This is not true.

Evolution occurs due to sexual selection, genetic drift, founders effect, mutations

Evolution is happening with black people. They mate with the local people and their offspring are only part black and then their children are more likely to have babies with white people and eventually their children will be white.

Well I tried to simplify it since our fellow OP here doesn't know anything about it. Plus anytime I say that, that evolution IS still happening, religious people go "well i can't see it" or "not enough evidence", so I try to avoid saying that.
Reply 6
Well I tried to simplify it since our fellow OP here doesn't know anything about it. Plus anytime I say that, that evolution IS still happening, religious people go "well i can't see it" or "not enough evidence", so I try to avoid saying that.

I am not religious so nice try. So you're not only educated you're also a bigot.
I think you need to "read more about evolution before talking" because gene mutation is just one aspect that leads to Variations the others being sexual reproduction and gene flow.

And I did acknowledge that it's more than one generations. Some black people have been here for 300+ years.

What does skin colour have to do with seeing the doctor?

You're clueless evidently

So now I'M clueless? Sorry I tried, BYE!
Reply 8
Original post by Brolyfe
This is not true.

But some black people in fact most black people breed with other black people. Yet shouldn't their skin colour beginning to become lighter?
Reply 9
So now I'M clueless? Sorry I tried, BYE!

Take your rote learned A-level biology knowledge and parrot it elsewhere.
Reply 10
Original post by ubisoft
You will always be black.

I'm not black. I'm just curious
Reply 11
But some black people in fact most black people breed with other black people. Yet shouldn't their skin colour beginning to become lighter?

Not necasarily. Whne white people came to northern Europe, being white presumably increased chances of survival. Now it has a neutral effect.

In fact the benefit state and cultural beleifs mean that black people probably reproduce proportionally at a greater rate than white people and therefore British people will evolve to be more black, albeit they may be white people with higher proportions of African genetics.

lol Western African people have not been around that long. 1000 years. That's where might start talking business. But anyway, the future of human ethnicities is likely to be a more homogeneus-looking mixed race ethnicity because we are not tied to a continent now so we can mate with people all over the world.

On the other hand, advances in bio-engineering means that human evolution is slightly different than non-human evolution because we can tweak here and there and make humans the way we like it. We can't do much yet but I think in the future we will have more and more ability to induce certain psychological and physical predispositions in our child combining that with a childhood in a controlled environment you could pretty much customise a human.

So the future is as uncertain as always.
Because in order for evolution to occur, there has to be a selective pressure. Modern medicine has essentially helped to prevent evolution by ensuring even the genetically weaker survive to reproduce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Juichiro
lol Western African people have not been around that long. 1000 years. That's where might start talking business. But anyway, the future of human ethnicities is likely to be a more homogeneus-looking mixed race ethnicity because we are not tied to a continent now so we can mate with people all over the world.

On the other hand, advances in bio-engineering means that human evolution is slightly different than non-human evolution because we can tweak here and there and make humans the way we like it. We can't do much yet but I think in the future we will have more and more ability to induce certain psychological and physical predispositions in our child combining that with a childhood in a controlled environment you could pretty much customise a human.

So the future is as uncertain as always.

I actually think humans will diverge into an intellectual class and a lower class due to assortive mating.

When all High IQ people mate and all low IQ mate the effects will be compounded.

It won;t be about race it will be about intellect.
In Africa, particularly around the equator, it is evolutionary favourable to have dark skin (more melanin=less sun burn). In less sunny climates, it is evolutionary more favourable to have less melanin, and hence lighter skin, as it allows greater levels of vitamin D, produced after UV sun exposure.

Both types of skin have evolved to be more adapted to their environment, which is fundamental to evolution.

most black people are not black, they are dark brown!

For one thing, we have modern medicine, and therefore the selective disadvantage from having a lot of melanin in your skin is diminished quite a lot.

On top of that, as other people have mentioned it requires far more than a few generations to take effect.

Are you even using your brain if you don't mind me asking?

For a species as long lived as ours. 300 years is a microscopic period of time.

Also there is nothing selecting against so it won't decline due to natural selection. Interracial relationships for the most part were an extreme minority so sexual selection wouldn't have selected against it.
(edited 9 years ago)
OP is working from a fallacy / gross error in understanding of first principles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending