The Student Room Group

Retakes- June 2016

Hi guys,
I'm just curious about how retakes are happening after June 2015... In June 2016 would you still be able to resit the current exams for the specifications?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

If the new syllabus starts in 2015 the first full A level exams would be in 2017
Exams under the existing syllabus would be available at least in summer 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
If the new syllabus starts in 2015 the first full A level exams would be in 2017
Exams under the existing syllabus would be available at least in summer 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okaay... In which case wouldn't the A2 exams be wiped out in June 2016?
Original post by Jack Sto
Okaay... In which case wouldn't the A2 exams be wiped out in June 2016?

Not sure what you mean.
If a student started their A level in September 2014 under the existing syllabus they would take their A2 exams in summer 2016.
Hence there will be an opportunity for anyone to resit current syllabus at least until summer 2016.
I haven't seen any examiner announce any later resit opportunities, but in the past they always have and it would seem unfair to current students if they were not given that opportunity for A2 resits in summer 2017.
Note that not all subjects are scheduled to change in 2015, some are 2016 and the last are 2017 (unless there is a change in government that will result in the reforms being postponed).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Not sure what you mean.
If a student started their A level in September 2014 under the existing syllabus they would take their A2 exams in summer 2016.
Hence there will be an opportunity for anyone to resit current syllabus at least until summer 2016.
I haven't seen any examiner announce any later resit opportunities, but in the past they always have and it would seem unfair to current students if they were not given that opportunity for A2 resits in summer 2017.
Note that not all subjects are scheduled to change in 2015, some are 2016 and the last are 2017 (unless there is a change in government that will result in the reforms being postponed).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started my A-levels in September 2013, and am taking my A2's this year... I was just wondering if there was any possibility of resitting in Summer 2016 for the same syllabus if I needed to?
Thanks for the reply by the way!
Reply 5
Original post by Jack Sto
I started my A-levels in September 2013, and am taking my A2's this year... I was just wondering if there was any possibility of resitting in Summer 2016 for the same syllabus if I needed to?
Thanks for the reply by the way!

Yes, you should be able to.
If I started in September 2014 can I resit AS's in 2016
Reply 7
Original post by CoolDudeUK
If I started in September 2014 can I resit AS's in 2016

Yes.
Reply 8
Hey guys, I'm was wondering if I would be able to resit my AQA AS Psychology exams next year, 2016 (in case I don't do well) the specification is changing next year though, so I'm kind of confused.
Reply 9
Original post by CherryTea
Hey guys, I'm was wondering if I would be able to resit my AQA AS Psychology exams next year, 2016 (in case I don't do well) the specification is changing next year though, so I'm kind of confused.

Yes, it will be possible to re-sit current AS next summer.
Original post by Compost

Thank you so much XD
Reply 11
Original post by Compost

Is it possible to resit just one1 paper or would I have to re-do the whole thing again?
Original post by tobeobi
Is it possible to resit just one1 paper or would I have to re-do the whole thing again?

Current A levels are modular. You can retake a single unit exam or as many as you like. There will be AS retake exams for all subjects next year, even those that are changing to a new syllabus. The best unit result is the one they use to work out your final grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, you can re-take AS and A2 exams in the summer of 2016.
But unfortunately for those who sat AS in 2015 and will sit A2 in 2016, if you plan to re-take A2 modules for example during your gap year- this will not be possible any more. The grades you get in A2 will be final as those subjects will no longer be modular any more. People would have to take the whole subject again in one year or something sadly. Yet again, you may if your subject does not change until 2016/2017.
Original post by Cherry82
But unfortunately for those who sat AS in 2015 and will sit A2 in 2016, if you plan to re-take A2 modules for example during your gap year- this will not be possible any more.

Are you certain of this? Last time A level specifications changed there was an A2 re-sit opportunity after the last main session.
Original post by CherryTea

me too, does this mean we'd have to resit our AS psych exams at the same time as doing the A2 psych exams ?
Original post by Compost
Are you certain of this? Last time A level specifications changed there was an A2 re-sit opportunity after the last main session.

I know right, I thought it would be the same for the following year too due to the previous situation but apparently not. After calling OCR and asking the exam board officers about this, they said 2016 would be final year. I called because I planned to resit modules in my gap year in case I didn't do well in my A2 examinations with the added pressure of AS module resits in 2016.
The lady said exactly '2016 will be the final year for the current these subjects, after 2016 no more papers will be supplied in the format of the current A level'. I even then said- but is this right that there would not be any resit papers for A2s after 2016- she replied something along the lines- I'm afraid so and something to do with consistency.
I don't know- things can change, it's this now but may alter in the future as it wouldn't make sense to not give A2 resits after 2016. Maybe they want to focus on the new exams.
If not, the grades we get in 2016 will be final as resits will no longer be available.
Reply 17
just wondering basically I messed up this year im 20 and I was doing AQA chemistry retakes and forgot to do practical's so my grade wont count at all so If I want to do my practicals and A levels will I be able to do it
Reply 18
will I be able to resit as level maths edexcel in summer 2016??
Original post by csp123
will I be able to resit as level maths edexcel in summer 2016??

You could resit any AS level next summer.
Specifically regarding maths, there are no changes to the A level maths syllabus until 2017

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest