The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
We don't really have beaches *awkward*. We have 2 rivers and port and the odd bit of coast but for beaches you wanna catch the train down to Bournemouth or the boat to the Isle of Wight. That said there is still lots to do here!! :biggrin:

Ah that is quite awkward.. :colondollar:

Mind you, it must be nice to be so close to the coast!
Original post by Alimbo95
Ah that is quite awkward.. :colondollar:

Mind you, it must be nice to be so close to the coast!

Aha nahh it's fine :P

Yeah it's awesome. And the docks are pretty cool anyway with the huge ships! It's not hard to get to a beach from here either :nah: :h:
Hey, I'm kind of counfused with the whole UKCAT issue with this course. I've read multiple times on here that UKCAT IS NOT used for interview selection and yet when reading through the stats of previous interview invitation holders, everybody seems to have a decent UKCAT like above the 600 average. If UKCAT is really not considered than how come nobody(that I have seen on here, feel free to correct me) holds an interview with UKCAT score in 500's? Sorry, just curious as to how much truth is being sold to us.
Original post by blahtoblah
Hey, I'm kind of counfused with the whole UKCAT issue with this course. I've read multiple times on here that UKCAT IS NOT used for interview selection and yet when reading through the stats of previous interview invitation holders, everybody seems to have a decent UKCAT like above the 600 average. If UKCAT is really not considered than how come nobody(that I have seen on here, feel free to correct me) holds an interview with UKCAT score in 500's? Sorry, just curious as to how much truth is being sold to us.

The UKCAT is definitely only used to decide between 2 very similar applicants. TSR users are not really a representative sample either. And perhaps people are reluctant to show lower scores?

Not sure, but it' definitely how they do it :smile:
The UKCAT is definitely only used to decide between 2 very similar applicants. TSR users are not really a representative sample either. And perhaps people are reluctant to show lower scores?

Not sure, but it' definitely how they do it :smile:

Thanks Beth:biggrin: Out of all the comments, obviously, you're the only person we can trust on here! So, if you meet the entry requirement and if your PS is decent, nothing should be in the way of an interview right? Thanks!
Thanks Beth:biggrin: Out of all the comments, obviously, you're the only person we can trust on here! So, if you meet the entry requirement and if your PS is decent, nothing should be in the way of an interview right? Thanks!

Yep!

It has always been that your PS is marked out of 15 on the 3 non-academic entry requirements and then they start interviewing those with the best scores :smile:

Then your interview is scored out of 15 and those with the highest total scores are given offers.

UKCAT is used as a decider if there are 2 candidates who are too close to call.

I can double check that things haven't changed but they didn't tell us any different at the open days a few weeks ago :smile:
Aha nahh it's fine :P

Yeah it's awesome. And the docks are pretty cool anyway with the huge ships! It's not hard to get to a beach from here either :nah: :h:

I'd love to try my hand at surfing !
Original post by Alimbo95
I'd love to try my hand at surfing !

http://www.susu.org/groups/susurf
http://www.susurf.com/

We have a society for that :P
Hey, I have another question, sorry :tongue: I have BCC at A levels, currently taking my gap year. I rang up Soton multiple times about my extenuating circumstance and was adviced to send a detailed email to the university. So, I did that and received an email back from the Admission Team, which said ; "Thank you for your email. If you decide to apply, we will keep a record of your email and link it with your application. However, we would also expect your referee to confirm the details of the difficulties you mention.

Kind Regards..."

The people I spoke to on the phone were very kind and opne even asked me to tell her about my circumstance over the phone, which I did again. She said normally they don't tell students before hand about whether their mitigating circumstance would be considered but the lady said that my circumstances were the examples of the things they would take into account. The problem is I've been told by people that Soton doesn't look at extenuating circumstances for this course as the whole point of having it in general is to help with who have struggled in their studies. But, if Soton wouldn't consider my applocation, wouldn't they just tell me the truth? Because Nottingham did.

Should I still apply? I meet all the other entry requirements though.

Thanks!
Hey, I have another question, sorry :tongue: I have BCC at A levels, currently taking my gap year. I rang up Soton multiple times about my extenuating circumstance and was adviced to send a detailed email to the university. So, I did that and received an email back from the Admission Team, which said ; "Thank you for your email. If you decide to apply, we will keep a record of your email and link it with your application. However, we would also expect your referee to confirm the details of the difficulties you mention.

Kind Regards..."

The people I spoke to on the phone were very kind and opne even asked me to tell her about my circumstance over the phone, which I did again. She said normally they don't tell students before hand about whether their mitigating circumstance would be considered but the lady said that my circumstances were the examples of the things they would take into account. The problem is I've been told by people that Soton doesn't look at extenuating circumstances for this course as the whole point of having it in general is to help with who have struggled in their studies. But, if Soton wouldn't consider my applocation, wouldn't they just tell me the truth? Because Nottingham did.

Should I still apply? I meet all the other entry requirements though.

Thanks!

Southampton certainly do consider exceptional mitigating circumstances. Are you planning to resit to get BBC?

If they've said they'll consider you and they've said that your circumstances are the sort of thing they accept then I'd be tempted to say apply. Unless you have 4 other courses you'd prefer to apply to.?
Where else have you guys applied, other than Soton?
So I did my ukcat today and got a low score of 547. My application as it stands is A* B C prediction a v good personal statement (as said by the teachers) and my ukcat of 547 what do you personally think my chances are ?
Original post by medicinehope
So I did my ukcat today and got a low score of 547. My application as it stands is A* B C prediction a v good personal statement (as said by the teachers) and my ukcat of 547 what do you personally think my chances are ?

I am pretty sure that when it comes to BM6, the UKCAT is not really used. There's more emphasis on the personal statement, so make sure that's up to scratch and you meet all the other requirements. UKCAT is only used when choosing between similar candidates, I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: Check out this blog. It's by Neostigmine and will answer all the questions you may have. http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?tag=ukcat
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 173
Hi, can I ask what a competitive application would look like, a-levels and ukcat for this course?
Original post by M!lad
Hi, can I ask what a competitive application would look like, a-levels and ukcat for this course?

A levels: BBC or above. Doesn't matter.
UKCAT: They only use it to compare similar applicants so higher the better but doesn't really matter.

A competitive application will have a stellar personal statement that meets all the non academic criteria. You'll also need a good interview :smile:
What do the non-academic requirements include though??
-interest in the course
-all rounded personality
-work experience: both medical and non-medical
-Leadership/teamwork/organization skills

What more can one add to the personal statement to stand out from the 600-700 people that apply to the BM6 course?

and would a 587.5 and 598.5 average scores on the UKCAT be sufficient enough to be considered good enough for the course?
Original post by o.nalhady
-interest in the course
-all rounded personality

What more can one add to the personal statement to stand out from the 600-700 people that apply to the BM6 course?

and would a 587.5 and 598.5 average scores on the UKCAT be sufficient enough to be considered good enough for the course?

If you don't mind me asking why do you have two UKCAT scores?
Original post by o.nalhady
-interest in the course
-all rounded personality

They're on the website :smile:

There isnt really one thing, jut make sure you reflect a lot :smile:
UKCAT isnt used.
On the BM6 entry requirements it says 'If you apply for the BM6 programme you will need to complete an eligibility form.' Where do we get this form from and do we upload proof of eligibility on to ucas? Also how do you provide proof of being the first generation of applicants to higher education?
Original post by St Flaco
On the BM6 entry requirements it says 'If you apply for the BM6 programme you will need to complete an eligibility form.' Where do we get this form from and do we upload proof of eligibility on to ucas? Also how do you provide proof of being the first generation of applicants to higher education?

They will post you a form after you apply and you send your evidence directly to the uni, not through UCAS :smile:

They will tell you the evidence you need but I think that last one is just an honesty thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending