The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith99
I have looked at it impartially, that's how I arrived at my position. There is only one member of the international community that Israel needs, and it has its full and almost unconditional backing. Israel is an aggressor, it occupies Palestine, it blockades Gaza, it settles Palestinian land in the West Bank and it has divided the West Bank up into smaller, barely connected regions that have all but ended freedom of movement in the West Bank. No spin, no bias, those are facts that no one can deny.

If Gaza had free and fair elections tomorrow, Hamas would almost certainly win as Israel's latest offensive has bought them huge amounts of support.

Just to clarify it was an offensive by Israel to deal with attacks by Hamas militants firing rockets and building so called 'terror tunnels' as the media called it.

If I had a neighbour that supported terrorists, I would do my best to blockade them too so as to stop them gaining more tools to carry out terrorist attacks.

Original post by Chindits
Naive.

In which wars have ceasefires been broken by one party who then go on to claim it doesn't count because it wasn't an *official* breakage of the ceasefire but just a group acting on their own?

Using your logic, they could fire on Israel every week and claim Hamas will "deal with the perps".

Israel has let them off with this one, we'll see how many more times the 'palestinians' goad Israel in the coming weeks/months.

Yes, if it could be shown that they were deliberately allowing other groups to fire rockets, then that would constitute a violation. But in this case that's at least uncertain and at most simply not the case, as they have arrested the perpetrators.
Original post by anarchism101
Yes, if it could be shown that they were deliberately allowing other groups to fire rockets, then that would constitute a violation. But in this case that's at least uncertain and at most simply not the case, as they have arrested the perpetrators.

No doubt the perpetrators won't be punished though.
[video="youtube;V_m98GAdqKM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_m98GAdqKM[/video]
can someone help me with my a2 coursework on the 1948 war please ??
Original post by Bunny2014
can someone help me with my a2 coursework on the 1948 war please ??

Sure,

Israel won.
Original post by mali167
[video="youtube;V_m98GAdqKM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_m98GAdqKM[/video]

and he's a junkie who can't stop himself behaving like a child

I don't think anything that the Fox news presenter said was sensible or helpful, but Brand was just as bad, putting on stupid American accents and taking personal digs at the presenter.

I can't really be bothered to debate the truth of the idea that Palestine started the conflict (Brand himself said that it is childish to use that as justification for Israeli missile fire), but I think it is incredibly dangerous the way those on the pro-Palestine left present Israel as the big guy, the side with the upper hand. Israel is a tiny country, which is forced to spend far too much of its GDP on defence, has very little natural resources and is surrounded by nations, which would literally carry out a second Holocaust if they had the opportunity.
Original post by bubadeeboop
Sure,

Israel won.

Thanks!! that was so helpful! :smile:
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/patrick-strickland/israel-sprays-skunk-water-palestinian-homes

Focusing on tear gas, skunk water and “The Scream” (a high volume acoustic device strapped atop Israeli military vehicles), the report documents their regular use to violently crush unarmed Palestinian demonstrators throughout the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem.

It begins by reiterating two immensely important facts reported time and again by The Electronic Intifada: firstly, that Israel’s “non-lethal” weapons, in fact, often kill Palestinians, and secondly, that the manufacturing of weapons used against Palestinians is an extremely lucrative business.
Reply 5829
I'm Jewish but I'm not Zionist. I do not support a large majority of the actions that are taken by the State of Israel. There is a clear difference, whether you would like to believe it or not and I think people just use anti-Zionism as a poor excuse for covering up their antisemitism. I feel bullied by citizens of my own country and I'd like to know why this is the case when I have never done anything wrong, I did not choose to be born in to the Jewish religion
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5830
I personally don't like Hamas because of their long term objectives. However, I agree with the armed resistance. Why should people who are oppressed take it lying down? Remember that the IRA and ANC were/are also labelled terrorists. They were fundamentally fighting for their cause. Being resentful to an Apartheid State who illegally colonise your land, provide a blockade on goods and build a 10 metre high segregation wall as in the West Bank should not really be questioned.
It's Hamas that are the problem, and the ones Palestine need "freeing" from.
Original post by Skip_Snip
It's Hamas that are the problem, and the ones Palestine need "freeing" from.

Hamas aren't in the West Bank and it's hardly sunshine and rainbows for the Palestinians there who find themselves victim to Israeli land grabs and segregation.
Top Ten Myths about the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Couple of other things that I'd note, but generally an excellent article.
Top Ten Myths about the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Couple of other things that I'd note, but generally an excellent article.

I've noticed your posts on here a lot

Would you mind if I asked your your ethnic background, because I always had you down as White?
Original post by yo radical one
I've noticed your posts on here a lot

Would you mind if I asked your your ethnic background, because I always had you down as White?

You'd be correct. I post on here often just because I find it a particularly interesting historical debate.
You'd be correct. I post on here often just because I find it a particularly interesting historical debate.

But specifically, English, French, Irish etc?
But specifically, English, French, Irish etc?

Irish/Scottish mix, but to the extent I identify as either, I'd say slightly more Irish.
Irish/Scottish mix, but to the extent I identify as either, I'd say slightly more Irish.

It's funny, that is precisely what I expected (Scottish or Irish, erring towards Irish)

I have noticed that a great many Irish people who are interested in politics and global affairs, have a strong support for Palestinian Nationalism. It's as if they feel there are parallels between the Celtic struggle and the Arab struggle, as well as this preference for the underdog which they feel in this case, is the Palestinian side.
It's funny, that is precisely what I expected (Scottish or Irish, erring towards Irish)

I have noticed that a great many Irish people who are interested in politics and global affairs, have a strong support for Palestinian Nationalism. It's as if they feel there are parallels between the Celtic struggle and the Arab struggle, as well as this preference for the underdog which they feel in this case, is the Palestinian side.

Indeed, there are quite a number of similarities between the Northern Ireland dispute and Israel-Palestine.

Latest

Trending

Trending