The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blissfully
ok thanks, by intense do you mean like they were all very strict and not very nice?

Some of them were strict but others were really nice.
Like I said it could be different for you as it will depend on the people there on the interview day. But prepare yourself to expect anything :smile:
Hi there,

We just wanted to let you know that we will be holding a 'Hangout' on Monday 13th October at 2pm for 1 hour where current students will be streaming live and answering your questions. Send your questions in to us by posting on our social media pages using #GeorgesMedAdvice

We will also have a student available tomorrow on our Facebook page to talk about all things including studying medicine at St George's.

Join in and chat with us... :excited:

Thanks,
Original post by St George's Uni
Hi there,

We just wanted to let you know that we will be holding a 'Hangout' on Monday 13th October at 2pm for 1 hour where current students will be streaming live and answering your questions. Send your questions in to us by posting on our social media pages using #GeorgesMedAdvice

We will also have a student available tomorrow on our Facebook page to talk about all things including studying medicine at St George's.

Join in and chat with us... :excited:

Thanks,

Great! I visited the university this summer and I'd love to hear what medicine students have to say! Definitely looking forward to the 13th!
Original post by Paras Agarwal
i would go with Nottingham because your UKCAT is above 700 first of all and from the reports published today you are in the 9th decile so you would make it. Its up to you in the end.

Good luck you have great choices!

Wouldn't a score of 2880 be in the 10th decile? Sorry to butt in but I've been hearing different interpretations of the decile data and I am confused with which one correct:colondollar:
Do St. Georges rank people based on their UKCAT?
Original post by WishIHadRevised
Do St. Georges rank people based on their UKCAT?

I was told over the phone they don't rank the ukcat. I was told as long as you meet all the academic, non-academic and UKCAT requirements you are pretty much guaranteed an interview, but kind of in a random interview order, so if you are not in the first batch of interviews it doesn't mean you're any less likely to get an offer from them.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:
Original post by the A* guy
I was told over the phone they don't rank the ukcat. I was told as long as you meet all the academic, non-academic and UKCAT requirements you are pretty much guaranteed an interview, but kind of in a random interview order, so if you are not in the first batch of interviews it doesn't mean you're any less likely to get an offer from them.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Ah thanks! Any idea what the UKCAT requirements are this year?
Reply 367
Original post by usycool1
Just to add to the above - last year's overall cut off for the UKCAT was 2590.

See above. It may be a bit risky tbh.

Hey, I'm thinking of applying to SGUL but my UKCAT was overall 2,320 with over 500 in all the sections, my GCSE and AS are fine and I fit under the 'Adjusted Criteria' scheme, so basically are you trying to say I'm going to get rejected straight up (as in Pre-Interview) if I apply to SGUL due to this UKCAT cut-off they have going on?
Original post by 2en1
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to SGUL but my UKCAT was overall 2,320 with over 500 in all the sections, my GCSE and AS are fine and I fit under the 'Adjusted Criteria' scheme, so basically are you trying to say I'm going to get rejected straight up (as in Pre-Interview) if I apply to SGUL due to this UKCAT cut-off they have going on?

I'm not sure I'm afraid - I'd email/phone up their admissions department. :smile:
Ah thanks! Any idea what the UKCAT requirements are this year?

I can't really say, I can only speculate. There is always the minimum of 500 in each subsection, and given last year's cut off was quite low at 2590 overall/647.5 average, and this year UKCAT scores have come down, I think the cut off could down down a little bit, but there could be more applicants given last year's low cut off which could in turn increase the cut off. In my personal opinion, I speculate it will stay about the same.
Original post by Papanikolaou
Wouldn't a score of 2880 be in the 10th decile? Sorry to butt in but I've been hearing different interpretations of the decile data and I am confused with which one correct:colondollar:

lool alright mate i didn't do the math i just assumed so you are correct i think :biggrin:
Original post by the A* guy
I can't really say, I can only speculate. There is always the minimum of 500 in each subsection, and given last year's cut off was quite low at 2590 overall/647.5 average, and this year UKCAT scores have come down, I think the cut off could down down a little bit, but there could be more applicants given last year's low cut off which could in turn increase the cut off. In my personal opinion, I speculate it will stay about the same.

Ah right I might give it a miss, I only got 2520 (630 average) so it's probably not worth it for me haha :smile: But good luck yourself!!
Ah right I might give it a miss, I only got 2520 (630 average) so it's probably not worth it for me haha :smile: But good luck yourself!!

Lol, I've applied with 2510 :biggrin: Where else are you considering?
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Lol, I've applied with 2510 :biggrin: Where else are you considering?

Liverpool/Bristol/Cardiff (I think they'll be the most competitive this year as well uarghh) and Keele or Aberdeen... was thinking about St. George's but I don't know. The only thing putting me off Keele is this whole PBL thing but apart from that I really like the look of it. :smile: How bout you?
Liverpool/Bristol/Cardiff (I think they'll be the most competitive this year as well uarghh) and Keele or Aberdeen... was thinking about St. George's but I don't know. The only thing putting me off Keele is this whole PBL thing but apart from that I really like the look of it. :smile: How bout you?

I've applied to Keele, Lancaster and Liverpool as well. De Montfort for pharmacy as my fifth option. I agree about the non UKCAT schools being really competitive :s-smilie:
Hey all,
I am not sure where to apply for my fourth option. I have above 500 in all sections but my overall is only 2440 :bawling:.
Do you think appyling to SGUL is wise?? Any suggestions other than bristol, liverpool or lancaster??
Original post by Priya_Biju
Hey all,
I am not sure where to apply for my fourth option. I have above 500 in all sections but my overall is only 2440 :bawling:.
Do you think appyling to SGUL is wise?? Any suggestions other than bristol, liverpool or lancaster??

I think you should be safe here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all,

Keele? You need to be in the 2nd decile and above to be considered. They interview applicants with the top 125 academics and use the UKCAT for borderline cases. The remaining 375 interviews are given to the applicants with the best non academic criteria.
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Keele? You need to be in the 2nd decile and above to be considered. They interview applicants with the top 125 academics and use the UKCAT for borderline cases. The remaining 375 interviews are given to the applicants with the best non academic criteria.

I dont quiet get what you mean? Is that for keele?
I dont quiet get what you mean? Is that for keele?

It is for Keele. As long as your UKCAT isn't in the bottom 10%, they consider you (and you meet the minimum entry requirements).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending