The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
They will post you a form after you apply and you send your evidence directly to the uni, not through UCAS :smile:

They will tell you the evidence you need but I think that last one is just an honesty thing.

Thanks
Right guys and gals i need an honest opinion about whether i should apply for this programme.

Stats:
GCSE's: 3A* 6A and 1B
Achieved A levels: A*AA(geography,chemistry and maths)
AS levels: Biology(B), Physics(B) and General Studies(A)
A2 levels taken this year: A2 Biology and Physics. Predicted both A's

UKCAT: 565
VR(510), QR(710), AR(510) and DA(530)
Band 1(Shame it wont be used)
Does Southampton use the UKCAT for selection for interview???IS this score any good???thats why i'm applying for liverpool, lancaster and bristol dont hav a choice really!
Plus does Biology have to be studied in the same year as Chemistry???
I feel relieved!! My application was sent today!:smile:
Original post by mangomango
I feel relieved!! My application was sent today!:smile:

Sames :smile: I am kinda nervous now
Reply 184
Original post by johnabdul
Right guys and gals i need an honest opinion about whether i should apply for this programme.

Stats:

Does Southampton use the UKCAT for selection for interview???IS this score any good???thats why i'm applying for liverpool, lancaster and bristol dont hav a choice really!

The UKCAT isn't used for pre-interview selection apparently, as mentioned a few posts back, so youre ok. :smile: Also your stats are very good! this must be advantageous than someone applying with BBC, but not sure. Ring them up for clarification on your last point.
Reply 185
Hi Beth,
Can I ask if better achieved A-levels play a part in the selection for interview. Also how many interviewers are there? and finally (promise last question :colondollar:) is your personal statement score added to the interview score, or is it a clean slate for everyone post interview.
Hi, does anyone know of any Scottish applicants?

I got AAAAB higher and AB ad higher also have a B higher from 6th year and a distinction Scottish Science Baccalaureate. Does anyone know if Southampton use this?

Currently on a gap year and off to Ghana this weekend for 3 months and have 635 Av UKCAT. Band 1 too, very frustrating!

Stats:

I am pretty sure both biology and chemistry have to be studied together but you should call up and ask to be on the safe side, you dont want to waste an application!

Stats:

No UKCAT us not used. Chem and bio don't need to have been studied together but you do need to have taken 3 a levels in 1 year (if I remember rightly). Give them a call to double check but I think that may rule you out :sadnod:.

Original post by M!lad
Hi Beth,
Can I ask if better achieved A-levels play a part in the selection for interview. Also how many interviewers are there? and finally (promise last question :colondollar:) is your personal statement score added to the interview score, or is it a clean slate for everyone post interview.

Hey!

Nope. Better A levels or even achieved a levels are not preferred over someone predicted BBC. There are 2 interviewers. I think they're added together. But lots of changes in BM5 and BM4 applications may mean this has changed. But not to my knowledge.

Original post by Joanne9495
Hi, does anyone know of any Scottish applicants?

I got AAAAB higher and AB ad higher also have a B higher from 6th year and a distinction Scottish Science Baccalaureate. Does anyone know if Southampton use this?

Currently on a gap year and off to Ghana this weekend for 3 months and have 635 Av UKCAT. Band 1 too, very frustrating!

UKCAT not used unless they have 2 students to chose between so don't worry :smile:

They accept scottish highers for BM5 so I assume they do for BM6. Phone when you get back and check.

Original post by Joanne9495
I am pretty sure both biology and chemistry have to be studied together but you should call up and ask to be on the safe side, you dont want to waste an application!

They don't have to be together :nah: but you do need to have taken 3 a levels at once I believe to prove you can handle the workload :sadnod:.
Reply 189

Hey!

Nope. Better A levels or even achieved a levels are not preferred over someone predicted BBC. There are 2 interviewers. I think they're added together. But lots of changes in BM5 and BM4 applications may mean this has changed. But not to my knowledge.

Well that sucks :frown: Ahh well, still applying here
Original post by M!lad
Well that sucks :frown: Ahh well, still applying here

It's how they keep it fair. If they wanted AAA they'd ask for it. And if they wanted grades in hand, they'd ask for that too. :smile:
Reply 191
It's how they keep it fair. If they wanted AAA they'd ask for it. And if they wanted grades in hand, they'd ask for that too. :smile:

Yhh I guess so, sent my application today. Now the wait begins :colone:
Ucas have just contacted me saying my ps is similar to another person's will I get rejected automatically from Southampton?
Original post by medicinehope
Ucas have just contacted me saying my ps is similar to another person's will I get rejected automatically from Southampton?

Not necessarily. Have you ever applied before? Did you reuse your statement? I understand that UCAS will do an investigation and decide if there has been any plagiarism. If they decide there has they will tell your choices, but if they can see that it is reasonable that you haven't plagiarised, they won't.

I would assume that if they're convinced you have copied then your choices could certainly chose to act on this quite seriously. Especially for something like Medicine.
I have never applied before but they said it was 35% similar to my brothers one
I have never applied before but they said it was 35% similar to my brothers one

Do you think this is because you did the same things or did you borrow from your brothers statement a little?

I am not quite sure how Southampton deal with it. You could either wait and see or give them a call and ask?
A bit of both really some of the highlighted one's were words like doctor career etc
A bit of both really some of the highlighted one's were words like doctor career etc

Then it will be down to the university as to whether this is acceptable and minor or whether this impacts your integrity. I would think it'll be decided on a case by case basis so you'll need to wait and see what they decide I'm afraid.
Hi Neostigmine,

I just wanted to know what happens with the application process straight after you apply to this course? Does Southampton send an acknowledgement email or eligibility form or do they wait till everyone has applied?

Thanks
Original post by mangomango
Hi Neostigmine,

I just wanted to know what happens with the application process straight after you apply to this course? Does Southampton send an acknowledgement email or eligibility form or do they wait till everyone has applied?

Thanks

I am pretty sure they wait until everyone has applied, which isn't long to wait anyway :smile:

Some people get an acknowledgement but this has been a little inconsistent in the past. It usually comes in the form of a postcard. Then in the next few weeks you can expect to receive your eligibility form :yes:.

It's a strange process with long periods of waiting so I am afraid that is something you'll have to get used to :sadnod:.

Latest

Trending

Trending