The Student Room Group

Hi. This is a thread for anyone with questions about University Centre Shrewsbury, a new institution in partnership with the University of Chester, offering innovative, employment-focused degrees. We are now accepting applications for September 2015 entry.

For more details about the courses on offer, visit http://www.ucshrewsbury.co.uk/

We look forward to hearing from you! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi when does the uni open and how do I find out about fees
Hello :smile: Undergraduate degrees will begin in September 2015 and we are accepting applications now through UCAS (listed under University of Chester, our partner institution).

Fees will follow the standard model operated my most Universities in the UK, with fees at £9,000 per year, and a range of student loans and financial support available. While we are putting together the specific details for University Centre Shrewsbury, it would be worth looking at the financial advice on the University of Chester website, where many of the same details will apply: http://you.chester.ac.uk/money-matters

Feel free to get back in touch if you have any other questions.
Hi, I've got a few questions...
- how many students are you aiming to take in 2015?
- where do you intend to house students? As there appear to be no halls of residence in Shrewsbury, is it the case that students will have to find their own shared houses? If so, will there be any support from the institution with this?
- I can see on your website that there's lots of talk about the courses, but nothing else. Is there any intention to provide the other important facilities and functions that universities normally offer, such as a careers service, students' union, sports facilities, an academic library and freshers' week. In other words, what will you offer students other than their course?
- will there be any open days for prospective students who are considering coming to you in September 2015?
Will you have canoes available to get to lectures when the river floods?
Hi, really good questions! Hope the following helps:

- We're aiming for an intake of up to 400 undergraduate students for 2015 entry. We project student numbers to grow to about 2,500 in the next 5-7 years.
- Shropshire Council has given the go-ahead to secure the refurbishment of existing premises in the town centre for student accommodation, for the 2015/16 academic year.
- All of the support services you mention will also be in place for 2015 start. Are announcements will follow in the coming weeks and months. Much of the work do deliver these services is being supported by expertise from the equivalent departments at the University of Chester.
- We will be offering visits to applicants and other interested people from early 2015.

We hope this helps, let us know if you need anything else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Where will the uni bar be?
Where abouts in Shrewsbury will the university be, will it be centred in one place or spread around the town centre or just outside somewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I'm just inquiring if you will be doing an under graduate teaching course. Trying to find somewhere local with no success
Thank you chrissy
Original post by cole-slaw
Will you have canoes available to get to lectures when the river floods?

The Guildhall - the main site agreed for teaching - has been designed so that only a car park is on the ground level. The rest of the building is above the flood plain to enable people to access and use it even if the river rises - as they do currently - and on the occasions that the river hits trigger levels, flood barriers go up.

So no canoes for lectures - but if you were hoping for some canoe action, we could always look at a canoeing club as part of our sport and social activities!
Hi, i just finished sixth form in Shrewsbury and I love the place, i would have loved to have started university there. I just wish you had more course variety, like some music or art degrees. I think that would attract more people, and i definitely would've applied. just an idea :smile: do you plan on adding some different courses?
Original post by simondandruff
Hi, i just finished sixth form in Shrewsbury and I love the place, i would have loved to have started university there. I just wish you had more course variety, like some music or art degrees. I think that would attract more people, and i definitely would've applied. just an idea :smile: do you plan on adding some different courses?

Hi, thanks for your interest. We get this question a lot and whilst the curriculum will develop over time, the aim is to provide courses that fall into the following areas:

Bioscience, health and the environment

Sustainable business and community development

Societal innovation

Design, heritage and the built environment

Hope this helps!
(edited 9 years ago)
Where will the uni bar be?

Hi, the location of such facilities as the Student Union hasn't been decided just yet. We'll share details as soon as they are available.

Whether you are partial to an ale or a cocktail, Shrewsbury is home to a great range of bars and pubs. You might already be aware of what's on offer, but if you'd like to find out more, the Original Shrewsbury website provides a fantastic overview:

http://www.originalshrewsbury.co.uk/visit/eat/?tagid=21

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further queries.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
Where abouts in Shrewsbury will the university be, will it be centred in one place or spread around the town centre or just outside somewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, the Guildhall in the central location of Frankwell will be used as the main site for teaching, and the former reference library at 1A Castle Gates in the town centre will become the University’s library. (The reference library moved into the nearby main Shrewsbury Library in 2011).

Rowley’s House, in Barker Street in the town centre, is also being used as a base for the project team, and teaching of postgraduate courses is currently taking place at the building.

Further work is underway to explore and secure the refurbishment of existing premises in the town centre for student accommodation, for the 2015/16 academic year.

In the longer term, the use of sites within a walking radius of the town centre, which could allow the institution to grow to around 2,500 students in the next five to seven years, is also being explored.

We hope this provides a useful summary. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Original post by University Centre Shrewsbury
Hi, the Guildhall in the central location of Frankwell will be used as the main site for teaching, and the former reference library at 1A Castle Gates in the town centre will become the University’s library. (The reference library moved into the nearby main Shrewsbury Library in 2011).

Rowley’s House, in Barker Street in the town centre, is also being used as a base for the project team, and teaching of postgraduate courses is currently taking place at the building.

Further work is underway to explore and secure the refurbishment of existing premises in the town centre for student accommodation, for the 2015/16 academic year.

In the longer term, the use of sites within a walking radius of the town centre, which could allow the institution to grow to around 2,500 students in the next five to seven years, is also being explored.

We hope this provides a useful summary. Let us know if you have any further questions.

What is happening to Rowley's House museum?
Original post by Chrissy283
Hi
I'm just inquiring if you will be doing an under graduate teaching course. Trying to find somewhere local with no success
Thank you chrissy

Hi Chrissy.

Thanks for your interest. As the University Centre develops we’ll be looking at where the interest is and potential new courses. However, while we’re offering a BA Childhood and Youth Professional Studies degree from autumn 2015, we’re not planning to offer undergraduate teaching courses for entry in 2015.

Undergraduate teaching courses are available at the University of Chester - would that be too far?

Depending on the exact course you’re looking for, and if you haven’t already, you could also try Shrewsbury College of Arts and Technology which works with Higher Education partners to provide education courses?

Good luck with the search we hope you find the course you want.
What is happening to Rowley's House museum?

Hi there, the museum moved to the Music Hall in April. Here's a link to the press release on the opening of the new Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery and a link to their website:

http://shropshire.gov.uk/news/2014/03/shrewsburys-new-museum-art-gallery-set-to-open-its-doors-following-ground-breaking-restoration/

http://www.shrewsburymuseum.org.uk/

It's a great attraction; we'd wholeheartedly recommend a visit if you have a chance anytime.
Original post by University Centre Shrewsbury

Oh ok, that sounds good! Has the museum moved then? Also is it going to be linked with SCAT or separate? Just curious really to see how it's going to work :redface:

Edit: Saw your reply to cole-slaw, doesn't matter! :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Are you going to have MSc hospitality management course and teaching English as a second language course in near future?
Original post by phanlananh
Hi,
Are you going to have MSc hospitality management course and teaching English as a second language course in near future?

Hello, the curriculum will be developed over the coming years, but those courses are not currently in the pipeline. Our colleagues at the University of Chester offer a TEFL course, more details of which can be found at http://www.chester.ac.uk/languages/services

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending