The Student Room Group

Teachers have suggested that I drop my a-levels and do a BTEC!

Hello everyone,

I chose A-level Maths, Physics, Electronics, Economics. My Maths teacher first said that I will most likely have to drop maths. I then had to have a meeting with the director of studies and he said that I would have a better chance to go to uni/do well by doing BTEC Computer Science. I am just so confused on what to do! I agree that I am struggling and that I will work to improve my maths skills and grades but they haven't really taken that into consideration.

GCSE Average-7
Reply 1
What did you get in your GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qr95
What did you get in your GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 A* in ICT
5 A's in Eng. Lang., Eng. Lit., Furth. Add. Science, Geography, R.S.
4 B's in Maths(which they are concerned about), core science, add. Science, Bussiness studies.
1 C in statistics
D in Spanish
a* in R.S. Short course
Reply 3
How hard did you study for your gcse exams?
Whats your AS results?
Reply 4
Original post by TM876
2 A* in ICT
5 A's in Eng. Lang., Eng. Lit., Furth. Add. Science, Geography, R.S.
4 B's in Maths(which they are concerned about), core science, add. Science, Bussiness studies.
1 C in statistics
D in Spanish
a* in R.S. Short course

I don't see why you can't do A levels. Maybe you should drop maths and pick something else. But not drop out of college. Just put alot of hard work in and see what you get in your AS.

Edit - sorry I assume you need maths for computer science. So I would just work hard and see how you do in your AS before deciding to do a BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by caisaw
How hard did you study for your gcse exams?
Whats your AS results?

I am being honest. I only studied really hard for further additional science! Maths I sat in year 10 and I should have studied harder as I was lazy and didn't pay attention. Core and additional I studied a little bit. English I only started a week before the exam. Geography was a few days before as well R.S. Remember this is not counting revision done in school(lessons). You get the picture, I didn't really study but I managed to do okay! Urm for AS, I only started a month ago and only had class tests and for maths I haven't been doing too well!
Reply 6
Original post by qr95
I don't see why you can't do A levels. Maybe you should drop maths and pick something else. But not drop out of college. Just put alot of hard work in and see what you get in your AS.

Edit - sorry I assume you need maths for computer science. So I would just work hard and see how you do in your AS before deciding to do a BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main issue is that my college is doing most of the decision making :|
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TM876
The main issue is that my college is doing most of the decision making :|

You need to tell them you will work harder. Extra revision, extra classes etc.
Reply 8
Original post by qr95
You need to tell them you will work harder. Extra revision, extra classes etc.

You're right!

Quick Reply

Latest