The Student Room Group

Sudden skillboost for C4?

What is with C4 being a lot more difficult than the other modules, some will say it is all easy etc. etc.

But does anyone else think that a lot of work is required for C4 than the other modules in the Maths A Level?

For Edexcel Maths.

Most of the other modules one could probably get away with winging per se.

Edited Edexcel, not complaining just thinking that going from the other modules to C4 is pretty much going from gcse to A2.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
What is with C4 being a lot more difficult than the other modules, some will say it is all easy etc. etc.

But does anyone else think that a lot of work is required for C4 than the other modules in the Maths A Level?

You may need to tell us your board as C4 is different for different boards
Original post by TenOfThem
You may need to tell us your board as C4 is different for different boards

Edited Edexcel, not complaining just thinking that going from the other modules to C4 is pretty much going from gcse to A2.
Reply 3

For Edexcel Maths.

To be fair all the integration stuff can be tricky for some at first, but it's like everything else in maths (and pretty much 99% of A level ****) - practice enough and you'll get 100% eventually.

I have to be honest - I think that Edexcel's decision to put all the integration in C4 did make it a harder module

Thank heavens for the removal of January exams so that C3 and C4 can be taught together - meaning that we can teach things in an order that best suits students
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Omega3!
To be fair all the integration stuff can be tricky for some at first, but it's like everything else in maths (and pretty much 99% of A level ****) - practice enough and you'll get 100% eventually.

Like your attitude, its a challege tbf - but working hard can only help.

Thanks yeah and you too :biggrin:
Reply 6
Found C4 one of the easier modules (than C3 or S1), got 100% without too much worry. This is for OCR. C3 was probably the hardest for me.
I have to be honest - I think that Edexcel's decision to put all the integration in C4 did make it a adder module

Thank heavens for the removal of January exams so that C3 and C4 can be taught together - meaning that we can teach things in an order that best suits students

Yeah that's true - sure other boards are probably on even par, but c3 has integration in them - apart from CIE (made for the gods and Asians :yep:)

idd, for people like me who self-teach it makes it more frustrating that you can't just be done with one module per se, and have to practice to the end. Could be worse though, like every 2 years :no: but could be better too :yep:

Which board do you teach, miss?
Original post by TVIO
Found C4 one of the easier modules (than C3 or S1), got 100% without too much worry. This is for OCR. C3 was probably the hardest for me.

So you didn't find C1 a piece of cake in comparison to C4.

OCR papers apart from the AS, all kind of look balanced as in less skillboosts and a universal difficulty for all the modules.
(edited 9 years ago)
How big is the jump from C2 to C3/4/ Fp2/3? I find C2 rather easy- It's just a case of learning the remaining material.
Yeah that's true - sure other boards are probably on even par, but c3 has integration in them - apart from CIE (made for the gods and Asians :yep:)

idd, for people like me who self-teach it makes it more frustrating that you can't just be done with one module per se, and have to practice to the end. Could be worse though, like every 2 years :no: but could be better too :yep:

Which board do you teach, miss?

I teach Edexcel

I have taught AQA
Original post by MathMeister
How big is the jump from C2 to C3/4/ Fp2/3? I find C2 rather easy- It's just a case of learning the remaining material.

So C2 to C3 is very small. Kind of like going from Core Science to Further Science I would say.

C2 to C4 is imo for edexcel going from gcse to a2.

C4 requires more practice big picture.
Reply 12
So you didn't find C1 a piece of cake in comparison to C4.

OCR papers apart from the AS, all kind of look balanced as in less skillboosts and a universal difficulty for all the modules.

Well, I only got 94% in C1. I DID find it much easier than C4 but I tend to make more mistakes with easier things. Though C3 and S1 were just hard.

For Edexcel Maths.

Not sure I disagree. I thought C3 was quite a bit more difficult than C4.
I teach Edexcel

I have taught AQA

Do you mind if I ask if you teach @ private/grammar/state/av comps
Original post by TVIO
Well, I only got 94% in C1. I DID find it much easier than C4 but I tend to make more mistakes with easier things. Though C3 and S1 were just hard.

Fair enough - no calc there iirc.

Lol one kid got 100UMS and a bj from the invigilator so the legend foretold.

Original post by Chlorophile
Not sure I disagree. I thought C3 was quite a bit more difficult than C4.

Agree to disagree whut?

June 2013 series was it?
Agree to disagree whut?

June 2013 series was it?

I've not done a lot of past papers yet (I've not done that series), I just found C3 a lot more difficult to learn than C4. My main problem was the trig in C3. Once I had that sorted, I found C4 pretty easy. Also I've got a disturbing love for calculus and the integration chapter in C4 was basically heaven for me.
Reply 17
Fair enough - no calc there iirc.

Calculator or calculus? There's lots of calculus in C3 and both have calculators.
Do you mind if I ask if you teach @ private/grammar/state/av comps

No I don't mind

I teach in a comprehensive
No I don't mind

I teach in a comprehensive

Ah nice, I assume your results are the best in the department :d

Quick Reply

Latest