The Student Room Group

What is the point of Malala?

There's a very real chance that I'm just completely ignorant on this subject, but to me it seems Malala is just some over-hyped, overrated, possibly pretentious (we'll get to that) teenager.

She spoke out against the Taliban, like plenty of other people, was targeted to be killed, like plenty of other people and then was lucky enough to have seemingly competent doctors at hand to save her. That seems to literally be what Malala boils down to. So now she flies around the world, making speeches where she refers to herself in the third person while she talks about generic topics that every politician, world leader and activist goes on about already... from what I can see making no impact whatsoever. Quite recently she made a trip to Nigeria, where the president "promised her" that the government will "bring back our girls". Obviously that was their intention in the first place, what exactly did Malala achieve by making this visit? She also won a nobel peace prize... I am honestly very confused.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do like her for standing up against Taliban but she is a traitor to Pakistan. She is having dinners in the white house with Obama who is responsible for drone attacks in her country.
Original post by Roger1
I do like her for standing up against Taliban but she is a traitor to Pakistan. She is having dinners in the white house with Obama who is responsible for drone attacks in her country.

She should be fasting. :eek:
She's loved because she stood up for education for women.
You are not ignorant on the subject. You are actually spot on. Excessive hyperbole. Needless sensationalism. Gross world.
Wanted to bump this thread since it has become a lot more relevant.
She is the same as anyone else who has spoken out against the Taliban, however they recieve much more publicity when stated by Malala. If any positive benefits come out of her high profile then it can only be a good thing. I certainly see no reason to complain about it.

The Nobel Peace Prize was a bit much though. Then again, Kissinger and Obama got one.
Malala was an activist long before she was shot by the Taliban. There was actually a British-made (I think) documentary about her and her father when she was just 11yrs old. In other words, she was a palpable presence even before she gained "fame" as the girl who was shot by the Taliban. She's also highly articulate and intelligent for a girl of her age and she has a genuine drive to help others. I think that people should support her in what she's doing rather than attempt to detract from her achievements. People on the internet can judge all they like but, at the end of the day, she is not the one who spends her time on internet forums discussing what to wear for tonight's event or complaining about how members of the opposite sex won't give her attention or who is and who isn't a pretentious teenager. We might have the privilege of doing so but clearly she is a human being who focuses her attentions on the more important aspects of life.
Because she's a younnnggg politician technically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Malala was an activist long before she was shot by the Taliban. There was actually a British-made (I think) documentary about her and her father when she was just 11yrs old. In other words, she was a palpable presence even before she gained "fame" as the girl who was shot by the Taliban. She's also highly articulate and intelligent for a girl of her age and she has a genuine drive to help others. I think that people should support her in what she's doing rather than attempt to detract from her achievements. People on the internet can judge all they like but, at the end of the day, she is not the one who spends her time on internet forums discussing what to wear for tonight's event or complaining about how members of the opposite sex won't give her attention or who is and who isn't a pretentious teenager. We might have the privilege of doing so but clearly she is a human being who focuses her attentions on the more important aspects of life.

Like I have said in my initial post what is it exactly that she has achieved? I'm not asking that in some ******* rhetorical question fashion, I am genuinely asking. In the bolded sentence you've described the sort of person she is... you haven't in your entire paragraph of what is frankly just waffle, told me what it is exactly that she has done...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheGuyReturns
There's a very real chance that I'm just completely ignorant on this subject, but to me it seems Malala is just some over-hyped, overrated, possibly pretentious (we'll get to that) teenager.

She spoke out against the Taliban, like plenty of other people, was targeted to be killed, like plenty of other people and then was lucky enough to have seemingly competent doctors at hand to save her. That seems to literally be what Malala boils down to. So now she flies around the world, making speeches where she refers to herself in the third person while she talks about generic topics that every politician, world leader and activist goes on about already... from what I can see making no impact whatsoever. Quite recently she made a trip to Nigeria, where the president "promised her" that the government will "bring back our girls". Obviously that was their intention in the first place, what exactly did Malala achieve by making this visit? She also won a nobel peace prize... I am honestly very confused.

She also has an autobiography and some award from the queen! ! Hahaha. .. you make it sound so hilarious! !!:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Just another distraction to keep the population occupied...she's a fraud and now a millionaire
Who cares about the Nobel Peace Prize anyway? Like the economics prize, it's far from objective and heavily influenced by political bias. The science prizes are the only ones that deserve serious recognition.
Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Who cares about the Nobel Peace Prize anyway? Like the economics prize, it's far from objective and heavily influenced by political bias. The science prizes are the only ones that deserve serious recognition.

What about meeting the queen and all these politicians like Gordon Brown!

Posted from TSR Mobile
She's campaigned in favour of rights like education from a young age, long before she got shot. And she is far more deserving of the Nobel peace prize than certain other recipients of the prize.
Original post by RFowler
She's campaigned in favour of rights like education from a young age, long before she got shot. And she is far more deserving of the Nobel peace prize than certain other recipients of the prize.

As my initial post has said, there is nothing remotely unique about this. Sure, but the other recipients getting the prize was a joke in the first place.
Reply 16
Probably just envious....
What is the point of ANYTHING, I DON'T KNOW.
More deserving of it than Obama.
She's only around 16 right??? Really ?? She's overhyped by the media and because of people who meet her! Is she really a millionaire now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest