The Student Room Group

Polymerisation

Can anyone help in these two questions, to see if they are right or not, the first one I have to show the repeat unit of the monomer given and in the second one I have to show the monomer that produced this polymer?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1413032880.277572.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're both right I think. (I'm doing AS Chemistry
Original post by Isla-H
They're both right I think. (I'm doing AS Chemistry

It seems right but not too sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
It seems right but not too sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well with the first one, for example, you have removed the C double bond, added bracket sand an n to show that there are many of these polymers in a long chain, and you've shown that the basic formula doesn't change. To be honest, I'm not sure about the second because at my school we were taught a different way of displaying it
Original post by Isla-H
Well with the first one, for example, you have removed the C double bond, added bracket sand an n to show that there are many of these polymers in a long chain, and you've shown that the basic formula doesn't change. To be honest, I'm not sure about the second because at my school we were taught a different way of displaying it

So would you say the first one is defiantly right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So would you say the first one is defiantly right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I can't think of anything else you'd need to do with the first :smile:
Can anyone help in these two questions, to see if they are right or not, the first one I have to show the repeat unit of the monomer given and in the second one I have to show the monomer that produced this polymer?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1413032880.277572.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither of them are correct ...

To go from cyclopropene to the 'intermediate' molecule is not possible in one step.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
the first one is ok (although I don't know why the cyclopropene is there) but the 2nd isn't - are you sure you have the polymer right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by charco

To go from cyclopropene to the 'intermediate' molecule is not possible in one step.

Okay get the first nog,but what is wrong with the second?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first one is wrong.

How can you go from cyclopropane to but-2-ene? Where does the extra carbon come from?

The second one is also wrong.

Where do the extra two carbons come from? The original molecule has the benzene rings attached directly to each other. Somehow you've shoved an ethyne in between!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pigster
The first one is wrong.

How can you go from cyclopropane to but-2-ene? Where does the extra carbon come from?

The second one is also wrong.

Where do the extra two carbons come from? The original molecule has the benzene rings attached directly to each other. Somehow you've shoved an ethyne in between!

Yeah I know the first one is wrong now, but can't seem to visualise the second one, so it is a benzene ring??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the polymer based on cyclohexane or benzene? If the later, you forgot the circles.

Could it be cyclobutane conjoined with two cyclohexanes?
Reply 14
your structure showing 2 cyclohexane rings joined as a polymer can not be formed from an alkene
Aha, a little sleep and I came up with cyclohexene as the monomer.

Go me.
Reply 16
Original post by charco

And the award for most helpful and lovely member of TSR goes to........................................

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJC1996
And the award for most helpful and lovely member of TSR goes to........................................

Posted from TSR Mobile

and a very good morning to you too .....
Who does the award go to?

Quick Reply

Latest