The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Economicsgirl08
Is it possible to get into LSE to do straight Economics with 3a* predictions in Sociology, Maths and Economics.
Or would it be wise to apply for something like social policy with economics at LSE?

Did they say anything about FM?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by the1akshay
How were your AS results?

AAAB

B in english lit
Original post by GandalfWhite
Did they say anything about FM?

No mention of fm :smile:
No mention of fm :smile:

Please see their preferred requirements.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2015/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx
Hey I was wondering if philosophy and economics at LSE is better or is just a bsc economics at Warwick better? Because im currently confused between what to apply fir as its either lse or Warwick.
Original post by Maham96
Hey I was wondering if philosophy and economics at LSE is better or is just a bsc economics at Warwick better? Because im currently confused between what to apply fir as its either lse or Warwick.

Can you not apply to both and see which gives you offers before you decide? Because both are good .... there's no wrong answer here.
I want to apply to both but then my personal statement would be for philosophy and economics whereas I'll just be applying to Warwick for economics so that will hurt my chances. I could also apply for ppe at Warwick but then I wouldn't be mentioning politics at all thus again hurting my chances.
Original post by Maham96
I want to apply to both but then my personal statement would be for philosophy and economics whereas I'll just be applying to Warwick for economics so that will hurt my chances. I could also apply for ppe at Warwick but then I wouldn't be mentioning politics at all thus again hurting my chances.

Have you considered applying for PPE at both LSE and Warwick? LSE offers a new PPE course starting 2015. That way, you can apply to both choices with the same PS, which would mention politcs, philosophy and economics.
Original post by philerus
Have you considered applying for PPE at both LSE and Warwick? LSE offers a new PPE course starting 2015. That way, you can apply to both choices with the same PS, which would mention politcs, philosophy and economics.

I know but LSE needs an A* in math for that and I cannot get higher than an A in math. Plus im not really a big fan of politics.
Original post by Maham96
I know but LSE needs an A* in math for that and I cannot get higher than an A in math. Plus im not really a big fan of politics.

How do you know you can't get an A* in Maths? I may be wrong, but most people assume they can't get an A* in Maths because they think you need 90% of marks across the entire A level to get an A*. In reality, you just need an A overall, which you say you can get, and 90% aggregate in the A2 modules.
AAAB

B in english lit

I think it might be difficult for the following reasons:

Further Maths is considered highly desired. Ignore this if it wasn't offered at your sixth form.

Sociology isn't a "traditional" academic subject.

The LSE don't value A level Economics for some reason

The B at AS might put you at a further disadvantage.

However... if you write a good enough personal statement, I see no reason why it's outright impossible to get in. All that's worth remembering is that there are plenty of people predicted A*A*A with Maths, Further and a "traditional" subject, with AAAA at AS, who don't manage to get in. Still, you have 5 options so go for it!
Reply 211
I think it might be difficult for the following reasons:

Further Maths is considered highly desired. Ignore this if it wasn't offered at your sixth form.

Sociology isn't a "traditional" academic subject.

The LSE don't value A level Economics for some reason

The B at AS might put you at a further disadvantage.

However... if you write a good enough personal statement, I see no reason why it's outright impossible to get in. All that's worth remembering is that there are plenty of people predicted A*A*A with Maths, Further and a "traditional" subject, with AAAA at AS, who don't manage to get in. Still, you have 5 options so go for it!

Nonsense.
How do you know you can't get an A* in Maths? I may be wrong, but most people assume they can't get an A* in Maths because they think you need 90% of marks across the entire A level to get an A*. In reality, you just need an A overall, which you say you can get, and 90% aggregate in the A2 modules.

I know I can't cuz im not the smartest of them all when it comes to math :tongue: Also I got a B in AS in math which I am resitting fkr an A so obviously for me getting the A is huge. And there is no way my teacher will predict an A*. So just tell me if Warwick econ is better or LSE phil and econ
Is having AS FM enough for LSE or would they deem me at a significant disadvantage to those with full A2? I will do FP1, S1 and S2, therefore I will not be disadvantaged when it comes to statistics, surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maham96
I know I can't cuz im not the smartest of them all when it comes to math :tongue: Also I got a B in AS in math which I am resitting fkr an A so obviously for me getting the A is huge. And there is no way my teacher will predict an A*. So just tell me if Warwick econ is better or LSE phil and econ

Warwick economics is very mathematical. If you can't get an a for maths at as and aren't comfortable with getting an a* then I'd advise you to go for Phil and econs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Should I apply for economics at LSE?
7 A*'s and 4 A's in GCSE. 4 A's at AS.
UMS: maths- 90%
Economics-100%
Chemistry- 87%
Physics-92%
Slightly concerned about have only 90% ums in maths so I have taken up further maths as an additional AS on top of my four A levels.
What are my chances of getting an offer?
Hi guys, its Michelle here, :wink:

Course: Law
GCSEs: 7A* 1A
A Level Subjects:AS : biology, psychology, economics , maths (AAAA)
A level predictions : A*A*A* along with A in Chinese already achieved
Anything else relevant: EPQ, work experience in law firm,
voluntary work, history price (GCSE level), silver in UKMath Challenge,
merit in grade 6 piano

I'm an international candidate , can anybody tell me my chances of getting an offer?
Cheers x
Original post by stichybabe
Hi guys, its Michelle here, :wink:

Course: Law
GCSEs: 7A* 1A
A Level Subjects:AS : biology, psychology, economics , maths (AAAA)
A level predictions : A*A*A* along with A in Chinese already achieved
Anything else relevant: EPQ, work experience in law firm,
voluntary work, history price (GCSE level), silver in UKMath Challenge,
merit in grade 6 piano

I'm an international candidate , can anybody tell me my chances of getting an offer?
Cheers x

As good as anyone's .... you hv the grades so your PS is the key now.
I thought that when applying for Economics at LSE you had to tell them module UMS scores, but on the email where they confirm receiving your UCAS application, they say they only judge decisions based off what's given on the UCAS form, which sounds as if they won't ask for additional information like UMS scores?

Can anybody help clarify me on this?
My current choices are Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham and i need to send the form off by today or tomorrow.
The thing i'm not sure about is if I should apply to LSE? I have all the academic requirements (3A* predictions, AAAA, 8A* GCSE), I have done (only) AS further maths and I think I have quite a good personal statement.

My first 3 choices I am set on, but I am contemplating swapping LSE in for either Bristol or Nottingham. I am not too keen on Nottingham, and although I love the city Bristol, their economics department is not the best.
My initial main reason for not picking LSE was that all of these unis are really competitive and in a worst case scenario I could end up with no offers! What is the likelihood of this?

Do you think I should stick with my current choices or put LSE down for Bristol or Nottingham? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending