The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gizos
I applied for Msci as if you considering a job in the industry afterwards it's probably far more reputable than an bsc. Saying that you could always do a msci afterward.

I like the whole earthquakes and hazard detection part of courses too and yes imperial is my favourite too! :biggrin:

Which degree are you considering more bsc or msci?

Ok thanks :smile: well, considering my AS grades, (due to extenuating circumstances), i dont think i will quite get the predicted grades that imperial are looking for, so if i apply for the bsc there, rather than Msci, i might have a greater chance of receiving an offer? Im not sure how it works
Reply 41
Original post by Jords13
Ok thanks :smile: well, considering my AS grades, (due to extenuating circumstances), i dont think i will quite get the predicted grades that imperial are looking for, so if i apply for the bsc there, rather than Msci, i might have a greater chance of receiving an offer? Im not sure how it works

When I went to the open day they seemed to imply that you got considered the same whichever you applied for. So if you weren't good enough to get in at all then it wouldn't matter which you applied to as I think they'd accept or reject you the same as you can switch which one you're on until the end of second year as the first two years are the same.
Reply 42
Original post by Gizos
When I went to the open day they seemed to imply that you got considered the same whichever you applied for. So if you weren't good enough to get in at all then it wouldn't matter which you applied to as I think they'd accept or reject you the same as you can switch which one you're on until the end of second year as the first two years are the same.

Ah ok. Well I'm not sure what my predicted grades are at the moment but they might be AAA is it still worth applying?
Reply 43
Original post by Jords13
Ah ok. Well I'm not sure what my predicted grades are at the moment but they might be AAA is it still worth applying?

Tbh I'm not sure...are you from an underprivileged background, live in a bad area go to a bad school etc or have extenuating circumstances. As then if you're school has a really low average it will still show you're clever just badly taught? As maybe if you write about them in personal statement or email them. Then it could be worth a go?

Any of those apply to you?
Reply 44
Original post by Gizos
Tbh I'm not sure...are you from an underprivileged background, live in a bad area go to a bad school etc or have extenuating circumstances. As then if you're school has a really low average it will still show you're clever just badly taught? As maybe if you write about them in personal statement or email them. Then it could be worth a go?

Any of those apply to you?

I had to redo yr 12, but now go to a private school (as of sixth form only) At AS I was supposed to get special consideration but the school messed up so I didn't get it... I really want to apply but would hate to be rejected at the first stage and not even get an interview
Reply 45
Original post by Jords13
This is what I am interested in too! Are you applying for Bsc or Msci? Imperial seems like the dream university to me but not sure I could get the predicted grades needed to even be considered! but I think UCLs course appeals more to me

You're right, Imperial is the dream uni for geophysics but like you I don't think I quite have the predicted grades to get in (A*AB). Although going UCL would by no means be a consolation- it's amazing too, just that the earth science department is more small-scale than Imperial's. And I'm applying for the MSci for both.
Reply 46
Original post by RSS_100
You're right, Imperial is the dream uni for geophysics but like you I don't think I quite have the predicted grades to get in (A*AB). Although going UCL would by no means be a consolation- it's amazing too, just that the earth science department is more small-scale than Imperial's. And I'm applying for the MSci for both.

You could always apply as if you don't you may always have the 'what if' though then have a few more say 'realistic' options with lower requirements? As some of the other really good ones like Ucl and Durham are aaa-aab I think so you could do that?
Reply 47
Original post by RSS_100

Ah ok, not quite sure what my predicted grades will be yet. Ging to aim for A*AA though. I haven't seen UCL, but like the planetary science within it. However apparently average starting salary for imperial is £28.5k whereas UCLs is £18.5k don't quite get this... If you don't have A*AA predicted will you just be instantly rejected? It's extremely competitive :/
Original post by Jords13

Apply for the course you want. I don't think Imperial have different requirements for the MSci and BSc. I don't think there's anything wrong with applying to Imperial with AAA predictions, but use that as your one 'aspirational' choice.

Original post by Jords13
Ah ok, not quite sure what my predicted grades will be yet. Ging to aim for A*AA though. I haven't seen UCL, but like the planetary science within it. However apparently average starting salary for imperial is £28.5k whereas UCLs is £18.5k don't quite get this... If you don't have A*AA predicted will you just be instantly rejected? It's extremely competitive :/

I'm assuming it's because of Imperial's links with industry. Lots of Imperial graduates go off into Oil and Gas but also things like Investment Banking. UCL's has more a reputation for academia (I think).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Chlorophile
Apply for the course you want. I don't think Imperial have different requirements for the MSci and BSc. I don't think there's anything wrong with applying to Imperial with AAA predictions, but use that as your one 'aspirational' choice.

I'm assuming it's because of Imperial's links with industry. Lots of Imperial graduates go off into Oil and Gas but also things like Investment Banking. UCL's has more a reputation for academia (I think).

The stats also vary a lot (I've found) depending on the source. As some websites had extremely (unrealistically) high percentage of applicants admitted. So don't take the salaries as gospel
Reply 50
Original post by Chlorophile

Pan ok thank you :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Gizos
You could always apply as if you don't you may always have the 'what if' though then have a few more say 'realistic' options with lower requirements? As some of the other really good ones like Ucl and Durham are aaa-aab I think so you could do that?

Yeah I'm applying Imperial just to see what happens, although I know it's going to be difficult to get in. My other options are UCL, Southampton, Liverpool and Leicester- all of them having more than achievable entry requirements.
Reply 52
Original post by Jords13

You got those starting salaries from university.which.co.uk right? Look at unistats, on there it says the average for UCL is around 22k 6 months after graduating, with Imperial's 26k. But I wouldn't think too much about those numbers for now to be honest- just go to the uni you like the most I guess
Reply 53
Original post by RSS_100
You got those starting salaries from university.which.co.uk right? Look at unistats, on there it says the average for UCL is around 22k 6 months after graduating, with Imperial's 26k. But I wouldn't think too much about those numbers for now to be honest- just go to the uni you like the most I guess

Because before you get any salary you have to graduate and the type of degree class you get may have a big influence on the salary even between graduates from the same place.
Reply 54
Original post by RSS_100

yeah they were from university.which.co.uk. Fair enough, just getting stressed for no reason :P
Reply 55
Original post by Gizos
Because before you get any salary you have to graduate and the type of degree class you get may have a big influence on the salary even between graduates from the same place.

Yeah of course! I mean a MSc would probably better place you in terms of graduate prospects than a BSc would. Some people prefer the 3 year courses though for whatever reason, maybe that they can go into work sooner.
Reply 56
Original post by Jords13
yeah they were from university.which.co.uk. Fair enough, just getting stressed for no reason :P

Don't worry everyone's done it. For a while I stressed on admission stats then got frustrated that the univeristies themselves didn't often say applicant per place (except ucl). So you got to try pick maybe a couple places you'll get into so you can have you aspirational one which it seems like you've done.
Reply 57
Original post by Gizos
Don't worry everyone's done it. For a while I stressed on admission stats then got frustrated that the univeristies themselves didn't often say applicant per place (except ucl). So you got to try pick maybe a couple places you'll get into so you can have you aspirational one which it seems like you've done.

Im applying to:
Imperial
UCL
Southampton
Leicester
Edinburgh.
in that order but predicted grades do worry me
Reply 58
Original post by Jords13
Im applying to:
Imperial
UCL
Southampton
Leicester
Edinburgh.
in that order but predicted grades do worry me

good choices :biggrin: what AS did you do? (If you said these earlier oops but I was just wondering how many people have done say geography or geology as I haven't)
Original post by Gizos
good choices :biggrin: what AS did you do? (If you said these earlier oops but I was just wondering how many people have done say geography or geology as I haven't)

Most universities say about 20% of their students have done Geology, so not many. I'd imagine slightly more will have done Geography, but it's a social science not a physical science so we don't need to worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending