The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rockrunride
Taking place somewhere around the corner apparently, but it won't be the same. No filthy carpet, no mirrors, no lack of aircon on the dance floor...

Moonies had a dancefloor?! That small piece of wood? Please.

It won't be the same, although hopefully now that poor carpet will have its first wash in what I imagine to be centuries of chunder, vodka, chunder mixed with vodka.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Anyone here do Russian and History? The Russian language teaching is more intensive than I thought it would be. I don't think I can handle it and am considering changing my degree.
Original post by AniSun
Anyone here do Russian and History? The Russian language teaching is more intensive than I thought it would be. I don't think I can handle it and am considering changing my degree.

I don't do Russian (although I do a language at SSEES), but I would think carefully about switching your degree - pretty much everyone in the first year finds university intensive, especially language learning, but people then tend to improve. However, if the idea of continuing your degree sounds unappealing to you, then talk to your tutor about it.
Question- for international undergraduate students, when should we actually arrive in London to move into our accommodations? Trying to work out summer plans/dates and I don't know when the earliest/latest dates I should be there are!
Original post by Polarisra
Question- for international undergraduate students, when should we actually arrive in London to move into our accommodations? Trying to work out summer plans/dates and I don't know when the earliest/latest dates I should be there are!

There is no set date but it is expected that you'll attend all your compulsory meetings over Fresher's Week as well as the registration. There is also Orientation Week prior to it, but I didn't attend it.
I have applied for management science and received the questionnaire. While going through the course structure, I found out that the degree requires you to select an engineering science minor at the end of year 2. Do you know what all that minor comprises of? I tried searching for it on their website to no avail. I'm a business student and so don't know if i'll be able to manage that minor! Would really appreciate your help!!
Anybody else waiting on the exam timetable?
Original post by Ade9000
Anybody else waiting on the exam timetable?

Hell yeaaaaahhhh.
I've got it! :smile:

Seven exams, roughly one or two a week. I'm satisfied.
Original post by Ivanka
I've got it! :smile:

Seven exams, roughly one or two a week. I'm satisfied.

5 exams spread out over 3 weeks. I'm satisfied too :smile:
Hi, I'm a 1st year female student at UCL. My friend & I (also 1st year UCL student) are looking for 1 or 2 flatmates who want to stay near the Bloomsbury campus. We haven't found a place to stay yet, but anyone looking for flatmates & a place to stay please feel free to message me!
Original post by mateyface
Physics is too hard! I'm completely lost in all the mechanics lectures :frown: what on earth am i supposed to do with r hat dot :p: ?

differentiate it babe
I made it! SELCS was unexpectedly quick this year :smile:

Four years gone, now another phase in my life...
Original post by Ivanka
I made it! SELCS was unexpectedly quick this year :smile:

Four years gone, now another phase in my life...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'm just waiting on my results now...
Got a 2:1

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Any medics out there that could give me some advice on a medicine application for 2017 entry please? I'll be applying as a graduate, so if there's anyone out there doing medicine as a graduate, that would be super helpful! But nonetheless, some help from any medics out there would be really appreciated :smile:
Hey guys , hmm , i got a main problem . I wanna ask is there any disadvantage for those who take 3 subject in A level compare to 4 subject ? Will UCL prefer 4 subject or 3 subject ?i am planning to study engineering , so my fourth subject , which is biology is not necessary for my future career .
Original post by kostin
Hey, I will be studying at UCL next year and have got a few questions about accomodation.
Which halls are best ?
self catered or catered ?
roughly how much spending a week will I need ( I will be going out a lot )
can you smoke in the rooms ?
Can you bring people back for the night ?

Thank you x

1 - You don't get to choose where you live
2 - personal preference. Do you want more independence? Can you stand to eat in a giant room of people? Can you cope with crap food? (I went self catered if you hadn't of guessed)
3 - depends where you live and how much you get out for travel expenses. Look into weekly bus busses or try and walk more to save dollar. Again really varies so can't say, maybe someone else can give a better estimate
4 - no. smoke alarms. (illegal and against UCL rules) socks work :wink:
5 - yes, but no more than 3x a week
Original post by kostin
Glad socks work then !
is there a lot of security in the halls ? iv heard from a friend at imperial that security guards sometimes walk up and down the halls.
Also, is it easy finding accommodation for second year ? I always hear that UCL doesnt offer the full uni experience after the first year. myth or no myth ?

I was in Astor which was one of the cheapest so may have less security but basically there was a warden and his team would do notified termly inspections, then there was a security guard (who I never saw) who apparently patrolled the outside

Pretty easy like the rest of London - old 2nd years, spare room, gumtree. UCL isn't very helpful in terms of helping you find a place, but you don't really need their help tbh

Depends on what you mean by full uni experience - I would argue that student flats is part of that. You can get sick of halls after a year anyway
Not sure if this qualifies as news but UCL no longer offers two separate BA History degrees (which they have done since SSEES and UCL merged in the 90s). I'm pretty sad about this tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending