The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I found it difficult to enjoy the last episode because I was so distracted by the bad science. I know it's science fiction but there is a limit to how much you can disobey fundamentals. Like the girl randomly flying because it's an 'unstable mass'. Or Clara's assertion that the moon is only egg shell so won't hurt.

The idea was nice (though was a little reminiscent of the Star Whale episode) but I just thought the writing was a little rushed. The spiders seemed forced in to add some artificial tension - they could have been left out to allow the main concept to be unearthed more gradually and explore better. The final scene was acted well though, Peter Capaldi was great - it looked like he really didn't understand what he'd done wrong, fitting with this new doctor who isn't quite as plugged into the people around him.

Also, wonderful that it's laid another baby but at some point that's going to hatch and kill people on Earth just like this one surely?
Original post by KingStannis
personally think that this has been the best series for ages

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Agreed. It's not really had a big hitter like a Vincent and the Doctor or Blink, but I can't think of a properly bad episode like a closing time. It's been a solid season, which is better than 1 good episode, 9 mediocre ones and a couple of bad episodes

Posted from TSR Mobile

You people have such low standards lmao. Not a single memorable epidode. Worst series to date.
Original post by Miracle Day
You people have such low standards lmao. Not a single memorable epidode. Worst series to date.

Yes, the reason we think that is series has been better than the supposedly better descent series is low standards :doh: seriously though, not one of the episodes has been poor (I don't get complaints about unscientific for the most recent one - it's a sci-fi show, the entire premise of it is unscientific). It's been a solid season, which is much better than 1 good episode mixed with a few duds like recent series

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miracle Day

There's actually some quite clever stuff happening to analyse if you want to tbh.
Reply 3984
Most Doctor Who episodes now just aren't what they used to be. The Empty Child has always been my favourite episode and, in my opinion, has never been surpassed by any other. It was genuinely terrifying (more terrifying than any Dalek episode, our parents must have been such scaredy cats!) which, sadly, just cannot be said for any other episode.
Reply 3985
I've been having a Doctor Who marathon, seeing as I have netflix and pretty much all of the episodes are on there. I've been watching all the way from Christopher Eccleston, and now I've reached series 5.
Original post by GCSEsitter
In my opinion, robot of sherwood was the worst episode I can remember

It was okay but not the best. The only bit I really enjoyed was the part with the archery contest.
Tragic how downhill Doctor who has gone. It's the dialogue more than the tinpot stories that sour it for me. The jokes and overly witty dialogue is all too common. I watched some of the Tennant and Ecclestone episodes lately, I liked how while the stories were ludicrous and crazy (in a good way), the dialogue remained grounded in reality. These short sharp exchanges in the past few series with Clara just sap it of all its realism. The show has become draining to watch. On a positive note, Peter Capaldi is ****in excellent, so glad to finally have a Doctor the companion doesn't want to shag.
Honestly i want to see the master return in series 8 vdry unlikely but i feel series 8 gone waay downhill from moffat previous series

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Did anyone else think that last night's episode was just a thinly veiled anti-abortion preach fest?

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on this. I got asked to do the BBC Doctor Who survey for this episode and I wrote about it in the comments box. I feel like it's one of the issues the BBC should stay impartial on.
Well that episode seemed better, however i hope the whole Clara decision thing doesn't get drawn out across the remaining episodes.
I loved that! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by _Morsey_
Well that episode seemed better, however i hope the whole Clara decision thing doesn't get drawn out across the remaining episodes.

Did you think that Clara seemed very different in this episode?I still can't believe its her in the episode I was waiting till the end of the episode expecting it not to be Clara.Humans don't change their behaviour that quickly and swap personalities from aggressive,dominant,pessimistic character to a more fun,less dominant and optimistic character I liked how pleased Clara was to keep travelling with the Doctor usually She didn't seem like She was that bothered and was like just pick me up tomorrow instead of rushing off to some new planet or time with the Doctor.I hope this personality change continues I much prefer it- The Doctor should save the day and protect his companion.The episode was fantastic and I shocked at the revealing that it was all set up by Gus and I loved Peter Capaldi's performance is best yet I loved how He thought so much of himself like the 6th Doctor, who is one of my favourite doctors and you can't really say He was arrogant because He was perfectly right that He could stop the mummy in 66 seconds if He saw it.I am not happy the identity of Gus has not been revealed but He seems to be a powerful possibly omnipotent foe, who I hope will feature in the finale.
Just watched on iPlayer. That was a solid episode; good plot and good characters (I think Frank Skinner was great). I'm confused as to why Foxes was only onscreen for about 66 seconds (:rolleyes:) as I thought that being a relatively big name she would have had more involvement in the episode. Yet again we have robots, definitely a theme throughout this series, it's almost certain that robots will play some part in the series finale along with Missy (whom we haven't seen in quite a while).

But overall one of the better episodes of the series, which up to now has been fairly forgettable.

Original post by Dalek1099
Did you think that Clara seemed very different in this episode?I still can't believe its her in the episode I was waiting till the end of the episode expecting it not to be Clara.Humans don't change their behaviour that quickly and swap personalities from aggressive,dominant,pessimistic character to a more fun,less dominant and optimistic character I liked how pleased Clara was to keep travelling with the Doctor usually She didn't seem like She was that bothered and was like just pick me up tomorrow instead of rushing off to some new planet or time with the Doctor.I hope this personality change continues I much prefer it- The Doctor should save the day and protect his companion.The episode was fantastic and I shocked at the revealing that it was all set up by Gus and I loved Peter Capaldi's performance is best yet I loved how He thought so much of himself like the 6th Doctor, who is one of my favourite doctors and you can't really say He was arrogant because He was perfectly right that He could stop the mummy in 66 seconds if He saw it.I am not happy the identity of Gus has not been revealed but He seems to be a powerful possibly omnipotent foe, who I hope will feature in the finale.

That's quite an exclusive club. People tend to prefer the other Baker!
Original post by Kool_Panda
Just watched on iPlayer. That was a solid episode; good plot and good characters (I think Frank Skinner was great). I'm confused as to why Foxes was only onscreen for about 66 seconds (:rolleyes:) as I thought that being a relatively big name she would have had more involvement in the episode. Yet again we have robots, definitely a theme throughout this series, it's almost certain that robots will play some part in the series finale along with Missy (whom we haven't seen in quite a while).

But overall one of the better episodes of the series, which up to now has been fairly forgettable.

That's quite an exclusive club. People tend to prefer the other Baker!

I hated foxes. She butchered queen:unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GCSEsitter
That was the best episode of the series by a mile. Next week looks a bit strange though...

Was just about to say that too.
It was what you would edpect fron doctor. 50 mins of pure suspense and thrill

Posted from TSR Mobile
that was a much much better episode, really enjoyed it :smile:
Original post by Dalek1099
Did you think that Clara seemed very different in this episode?I still can't believe its her in the episode I was waiting till the end of the episode expecting it not to be Clara.Humans don't change their behaviour that quickly and swap personalities from aggressive,dominant,pessimistic character to a more fun,less dominant and optimistic character I liked how pleased Clara was to keep travelling with the Doctor usually She didn't seem like She was that bothered and was like just pick me up tomorrow instead of rushing off to some new planet or time with the Doctor.I hope this personality change continues I much prefer it

This week was supposed to be her "last hurrah" or whatever. It took place a few weeks after last week's blow up between the two of them so that resentment had started to fade and the fact she thought it was her last adventure probably meant she just wanted to just enjoy it. So I don't think her mood was particularly off.
Something tells me that we haven't seen the last of Clara and Danny. Sigh.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply