The Student Room Group

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi guys, so I'm thinking of applying for Maths at Cambridge, but feel majorly disadvantaged compared to people here.

Our school didn't really take the Maths challenge seriously and we didn't even get the full time to do it, so subsequently didn't go to any maths Olympiads. Also, I am yet to read any maths books, but I'm planning to start in the next few days.

The only thing I have going for me is my UMS scores of 100% in maths and 95% Further maths in AS.

My question is would they care much about the BMO and SMC and the fact I have no work experience specifically in maths (all my work experience is in different departments of Engineering)?
Reply 81
Original post by raff97
Hi guys, so I'm thinking of applying for Maths at Cambridge, but feel majorly disadvantaged compared to people here.

Our school didn't really take the Maths challenge seriously and we didn't even get the full time to do it, so subsequently didn't go to any maths Olympiads. Also, I am yet to read any maths books, but I'm planning to start in the next few days.

The only thing I have going for me is my UMS scores of 100% in maths and 95% Further maths in AS.

My question is would they care much about the BMO and SMC and the fact I have no work experience specifically in maths (all my work experience is in different departments of Engineering)?

Nah you're fine. Don't worry about maths challenges, or olympiads, or work experience (how would you even get work experience relevant to maths courses at University?). Just get cracking on those books and your UCAS application in general. Your results are good and that's the main thing by quite a margin for Cambridge.
Reply 82
Original post by SParm
Nah you're fine. Don't worry about maths challenges, or olympiads, or work experience (how would you even get work experience relevant to maths courses at University?). Just get cracking on those books and your UCAS application in general. Your results are good and that's the main thing by quite a margin for Cambridge.

Thanks for your help. But currently with lack of extra curricular activities, I'm finding it very tough to write a strong PS. I'm waiting for "Fermat's last theorem" by Simon Singh to arrive in the post. I hope that will give me something to talk about, along with the old "maths is interesting blah blah" as padding should be enough.

Do you reckon just that 1 book would suffice? Or should I try to get another couple?
Reply 83
Original post by raff97
Thanks for your help. But currently with lack of extra curricular activities, I'm finding it very tough to write a strong PS. I'm waiting for "Fermat's last theorem" by Simon Singh to arrive in the post. I hope that will give me something to talk about, along with the old "maths is interesting blah blah" as padding should be enough.

Do you reckon just that 1 book would suffice? Or should I try to get another couple?

I think I mentioned three books and talked about why they were interesting and that was enough padding for me, so it's probably worth going and get another couple (from the library maybe? not really necessary to buy them) and then you can talk about those in your personal statement as well.

Honestly it's not that much of an issue because I assume you're applying to Universities like Cambridge/Warwick/Bath/Durham/Imperial etc. and those universities are very much results based so your personal statement just needs to effectively show that you have some interest in mathematics and you should be fine. It doesn't need to be amazing or ultra convincing in my opinion.

Edit: Also, forgot to say this but getting started on STEP and the MAT (in case you're applying to Imperial) is also a good idea because it shows interest and you can talk about it, and it also helps you prepare for the interview, and just gets you better at maths generally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by SParm
I think I mentioned three books and talked about why they were interesting and that was enough padding for me, so it's probably worth going and get another couple (from the library maybe? not really necessary to buy them) and then you can talk about those in your personal statement as well.

Honestly it's not that much of an issue because I assume you're applying to Universities like Cambridge/Warwick/Bath/Durham/Imperial etc. and those universities are very much results based so your personal statement just needs to effectively show that you have some interest in mathematics and you should be fine. It doesn't need to be amazing or ultra convincing in my opinion.

Edit: Also, forgot to say this but getting started on STEP and the MAT (in case you're applying to Imperial) is also a good idea because it shows interest and you can talk about it, and it also helps you prepare for the interview, and just gets you better at maths generally.

again thanks for advise, its much appreciated. Well looks like I have a busy few months ahead of me with the reading and STEP preparation, and hopefully it ends well.

Is there any book that you recommend? the Cambridge reading list is quite long and I'm not sure which would best prepare me for a Maths degree and look best on my personal statement.
Reply 85
Original post by raff97
again thanks for advise, its much appreciated. Well looks like I have a busy few months ahead of me with the reading and STEP preparation, and hopefully it ends well.

Is there any book that you recommend? the Cambridge reading list is quite long and I'm not sure which would best prepare me for a Maths degree and look best on my personal statement.

I mean I read "What is Mathematical Analysis?" by Baylis and that was pretty cool, if a bit hard because you don't really come across analysis in school and it's a whole different way of thinking about mathematics. Really it depends on what kind of stuff you're looking for, and what kind of maths you think you'd enjoy recreationally at this point.

Pure maths in the context of University is not the same as your core modules or really your further pure modules either (these modules are more like the "methods" courses you see at University, which are definitely more on the applied side in general). But if you like thinking analytically and carefully, then pure maths is usually quite nice to look at.

But lots of people seem to look at books that introduce pure mathematics to A-Level students for the books they write about in their personal statement:

- A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics by Liebeck seems to be popular.
- How to think like a Mathematician wasn't that bad.

And as I said, the Baylis book I mentioned was the other one I read.

There's also "Reaching for Infinity" by Gibilisco which I haven't read, but I can assure you the material (that of discussing infinity rigorously) is quite accessible and in general just requires a solid understand of injective, surjective, and bijective functions. (Also it's just a really pretty area of pure maths for beginners imo, one of my favourite things I saw in first year.)

So you can look at some stuff there, and also the reading list provided by Cambridge and pick a couple of books that might tickle your fancy :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by SParm
I mean I read...

lol'd

Original post by SParm
really pretty

so's your face

OT: I know nothing about maths, SParm is a clever man when he tries, heed his recommendations and you shall succeed.
Reply 87
Original post by SParm
I mean I read "What is Mathematical Analysis?" by Baylis and that was pretty cool, if a bit hard because you don't really come across analysis in school and it's a whole different way of thinking about mathematics. Really it depends on what kind of stuff you're looking for, and what kind of maths you think you'd enjoy recreationally at this point.

Pure maths in the context of University is not the same as your core modules or really your further pure modules either (these modules are more like the "methods" courses you see at University, which are definitely more on the applied side in general). But if you like thinking analytically and carefully, then pure maths is usually quite nice to look at.

But lots of people seem to look at books that introduce pure mathematics to A-Level students for the books they write about in their personal statement:

- A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics by Liebeck seems to be popular.
- How to think like a Mathematician wasn't that bad.

And as I said, the Baylis book I mentioned was the other one I read.

There's also "Reaching for Infinity" by Gibilisco which I haven't read, but I can assure you the material (that of discussing infinity rigorously) is quite accessible and in general just requires a solid understand of injective, surjective, and bijective functions. (Also it's just a really pretty area of pure maths for beginners imo, one of my favourite things I saw in first year.)

So you can look at some stuff there, and also the reading list provided by Cambridge and pick a couple of books that might tickle your fancy :smile:

I'll have a look at my local library and see what they have
Uni applying for: Warwick (first choice) York, Sheffield, Leicester and Coventry
GCSEs: 7A*s 7As
AS-Levels (studied/grades): I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Government & Politics and I got 4As
Predicted grades (from teachers): A*A*A (the A is in Politics)
Background reading: Quite a few of Ian Stewart's works, a couple of other less intense reads including Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh
Anything else maths related: I got an A* with distinction in the AQA Level 2 qualification and also did some tutoring in Year 11 and Year 12 for those on C/D borderlines at GCSE at the request of my teachers. I'm also intending to take STEP I and II in June.
(edited 9 years ago)
Uni applying for: Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham
College applying for (if Oxbridge): Pembroke
GCSEs: 11A* 1A (including A* with distinction in AQA level 2 certificate in further maths)
AS-Levels (studied/grades): Maths (300/300), further maths (300/300), physics (290/300) and chemistry (290/300)
Predicted grades (may be self-predicted): A*A*A*A*
Background reading: ALL THE BOOKS ;D haha I love maths - I read about it all the time
SMC/BMO: I haven't done much before, but I am on the UKMT senior mentoring scheme
Anything else maths related: Have had offers from Warwick and Bath so far.. Will be taking STEP II and III
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jessb_3125
GCSEs: 11A* 1A (including A* with distinction in AQA level 2 certificate in further maths)
AS-Levels (studied/grades): Maths (300/300), further maths (300/300), physics (290/300) and chemistry (290/300)
Background reading: ALL THE BOOKS ;D haha I love maths - I read about it all the time
SMC/BMO: I haven't done much before, but I am on the UKMT senior mentoring scheme
Anything else maths related: Have had offers from Warwick and Bath so far.. Will be taking STEP II and III

When did you send your application ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
When did you send your application ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the 3rd of October :biggrin: x
Reply 92

Impressive.
Original post by DomStaff
Impressive.

Aha thank you :biggrin: x
Original post by DomStaff
Impressive.

this one definately deserves the damn lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the 3rd of October :biggrin: x

damn hope my wareick offer comes quickly my application was sent a few days ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How far did u get in the maths challenegs ie. smc scores and bmo scores

Posted from TSR Mobile
How far did u get in the maths challenegs ie. smc scores and bmo scores

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk our school never really cared about it much... I've done Kangaroos and stuff and have gotten Gold certificates.
damn hope my wareick offer comes quickly my application was sent a few days ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so too! :biggrin: I have heard that they are being quick this year bc last year they left it all till the last minute, or something... Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest