The Student Room Group

Why aren't Iran allowed nuclears?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Enoxial
I didn't say Iran is bringing the validity of the Treaty into action, I'm saying that NPT could not be the sole reason.

Pls attach links to the detailed agreement Iran had at Geneva last year.

Iran clearly sees itself as bound by the treaty, really that's all that matters here.
Original post by SmallDuck
That's like asking 'why aren't serial offending savages allowed shotguns?'

So because US has much greater influence on India and Pakistan so they can have 'em?
Reply 22
Basically because the rest of the world is scared of the consequences
Original post by Aj12
Iran clearly sees itself as bound by the treaty, really that's all that matters here.

You're not challenging my statememt, just affirming your previous one.

What if Iran suddenly says NPT is void is Iran's case (for whatever reason) then can Iran have nukes? (Since you stated that Iran can't because of NPT)
Reply 24
Original post by SmallDuck
That's like asking 'why aren't serial offending savages allowed shotguns?'

They are? Israel is much more of an serial offending savage than Iran
Reply 25
Original post by Enoxial
You're not challenging my statememt, just affirming your previous one.

What if Iran suddenly says NPT is void is Iran's case (for whatever reason) then can Iran have nukes? (Since you stated that Iran can't because of NPT)

But it won't so why bother arguing hypotheticals?

If you really want other reasons then destabilization of the region as the Saudi's and others will start their own weapons programs.

The idea that nuclear weapons create a more dangerous global situation so should be limited to the status quo (and ideally a draw-down of all weapons on all sides, but it won't happen in the current climate)

At present though these arguments aren't particularly relevant as Iran is party to the NPT and won't leave it as it would lose a lot of international legitimacy if it did so. You quoted North Korea above as a nation which has left it, that is not a path Iran will want to follow to become an International Pariah.
Original post by aka r
They are? Israel is much more of an serial offending savage than Iran

Perhaps.... but I will not blame the destruction in Gaza solely on Israel: the Hamas are just as bad, using civilians as human shields and saving only themselves.

Plus Israel is not using its nuclear weapons on Gaza and probs never will. I would not be so sure about Iran....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Only the US should be allowed nukes. No one else can be trusted.
Original post by RtGOAT
Only the US should be allowed nukes. No one else can be trusted.

You want to trust a country that let a Monarch use Chemical Weapons but in future killed the same Monarch for rumours the he might still have it?
Original post by Aj12
But it won't so why bother arguing hypotheticals?

Not a valid excuse :no:
I'll put two incidents infront of you:
1) Saddam uses Chemical Weapons on Iranians (Iraq non-signatory to CWC) nothing from West.
2) Assad uses Chemical Weapons on a smaller scale (Syria also non-signatory to CWC) then US be like "Ima strike Assad to hell, you with me UK?"

See the difference?

If you really want other reasons then destabilization of the region as the Saudi's and others will start their own weapons programs.

1) Why SA if I may ask? If its because there are tension b/w the two then I'd say if Iran and SA go to war, it'll happen regardless of having nukes or not. (Having nukes would be a big plus though)

2) If SA is going to say "Iran has it, I want it too" then Iran can say the same thing that Pakistan (a Muslim nation) has it.

3) I can use this argument in favor of Iran. Throughout History SA has injected loads of money to whomever fights Iran (does more than giving away money aswell with Qatar) so with Iran having Nukes SA wont dare to repeat their acts.

The idea that nuclear weapons create a more dangerous global situation so should be limited to the status quo (and ideally a draw-down of all weapons on all sides, but it won't happen in the current climate)

You really think US will be in favor of peace? after all it sells about 30% (Amnesty International) of the whole conventional arms market, is by far the largest arms trader.

At present though these arguments aren't particularly relevant as Iran is party to the NPT and won't leave it as it would lose a lot of international legitimacy if it did so.

1 USD = 24,000 of Iranian Currency, Think Iran is used to it by now.
Original post by Enoxial
Assad / Syria neither signed nor ratified treaty for Chemical weapons Convention, the world still went nuts.

Iran can withdraw from NPT (North Korea).

Iran can also argue that NPT was signed by Shah and not by The Islamic Republic of Iran.

Let's look at who has broken the NPT. Saddam and Gaddafi spring to mind.

I'd rather Iran didn't develop them. Not withstanding the fact that they're crazy enough to actually use them, a nuclear Iran would very quickly be followed by a nuclear a Saudi Arabia.
Original post by MatureStudent36

I'd rather Iran didn't develop them. Not withstanding the fact that they're crazy enough to actually use them,

Any nation would threaten to use them if they are being bullied by the likes of US and the Arab nations.

a nuclear Iran would very quickly be followed by a nuclear a Saudi Arabia.

1) Why SA if I may ask? If its because there are tension b/w the two then I'd say if Iran and SA go to war, it'll happen regardless of having nukes or not. (Having nukes would be a big plus though)

2) If SA is going to say "Iran has it, I want it too" then Iran can say the same thing that Pakistan (a Muslim nation) has it.

3) I can use this argument in favor of Iran. Throughout History SA has injected loads of money to whomever fights Iran (does more than giving away money aswell with Qatar) so with Iran having Nukes SA wont dare to repeat their acts.
Original post by Enoxial
Any nation would threaten to use them if they are being bullied by the likes of US and the Arab nations.

SA have already said that if Iran goes nuclear so will they.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24823846

Don't fall into the trap of Arab = Muslim & all Muslims = friends.

The sunny Shia split creates huge tension throughout the Middle East and beyond.
Original post by Kolasinac138
Why should it be that USA, Israel can have nuclear bombs but Iran is prohibited from doing so?

Because Iran is a theocracy ruled effectively by a dictator (the supreme leader). They are also an ally of Russia.
Original post by Enoxial
So because US has much greater influence on India and Pakistan so they can have 'em?

India is a future superpower so not much choice there.

If we could pick and choose who had them then clearly Pakistan would not.
Original post by MatureStudent36
SA have already said that if Iran goes nuclear so will they.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24823846

Don't fall into the trap of Arab = Muslim & all Muslims = friends.

The sunny Shia split creates huge tension throughout the Middle East and beyond.

Did you even read my reply? :facepalm:

I never said Muslim countries are best of friends, I said if SA wants to goto war against Iran, it will regardless of Nukes or not.

SA is already at war against Iran for decades by using its money.

Iran has been bullied by Arab Nations and the US for so long, surely things will be balanced if Iran gets nuclears??
Original post by Rakas21
India is a future superpower so not much choice there.

No where is it written that only an arguably future superpower can have them.

If we could pick and choose who had them then clearly Pakistan would not.

But the reality is that they do so Iran shouls have them aswell.
Because they're too ****ing 'religious', that's why.
Original post by Aj12

You believe Iran when it says it will abide by NPT but don't believe them when they say they want to use it for peaceful purposes?
Same reason as you don't give serial killers the keys to peoples house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending