The Student Room Group

My personal statement is 609 words yet it won't fit on ucas?

Can someone help me? UCAS isn't allowing me to upload my PS even though I only have 609 words (due to immense cutting). I've seen statements with 660 words being uploaded to UCAS which is quite strange. I know I'm within the character count (barely). It says I'm one line over.

How is it possible that statements with more words can be uploaded but mine can't?

Scroll to see replies

How many characters is it, exactly? (Remember the 4000 character​s includes spaces)
They don't count words they look at characters and lines. There box is different to word and notepad and so you'll have to cut a few more words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on characters and lines, not words. There's a limit of 4000 characters or 47 lines, whichever comes first.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
It depends on characters and lines, not words. There's a limit of 4000 characters or 47 lines, whichever comes first.

Yeah, I know about the line/character limit, but I've seen personal statements with so many more words than mine that also meet the line/character count. Why is this?

I feel like I'm missing out on the opportunity to write more.
Original post by Inglisred
Yeah, I know about the line/character limit, but I've seen personal statements with so many more words than mine that also meet the line/character count. Why is this?

I feel like I'm missing out on the opportunity to write more.

Maybe your words are just longer on average? Or are you leaving full line spaces between lines? Because that will eat up your line limit.
Reply 6
Maybe your words are just longer on average? Or are you leaving full line spaces between lines? Because that will eat up your line limit.

How do I solve this? I think that's what I'm doing.
How do I solve this? I think that's what I'm doing.

Start new paragraphs on a new line rather than leaving an entire line between them. Some people say it makes it harder to read, I don't think it's worth it for the wasted space.
Reply 8
Start new paragraphs on a new line rather than leaving an entire line between them. Some people say it makes it harder to read, I don't think it's worth it for the wasted space.

How important is separating paragraphs in the statement? Doesn't it show that there's a structure?
How important is separating paragraphs in the statement? Doesn't it show that there's a structure?

It's more important to show you're interest rather than making your PS clearer. As long as the Admissions Tutors can tell where a new paragraph starts (by starting it on a new line rather than skipping a line as another user has pointed it out) you'll be fine

Use those extra characters to show your passion and desire for the course :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by EvasiveRose
It's more important to show you're interest rather than making your PS clearer. As long as the Admissions Tutors can tell where a new paragraph starts (by starting it on a new line rather than skipping a line as another user has pointed it out) you'll be fine

Use those extra characters to show your passion and desire for the course :smile:

It doesn't matter what you write if it can't be read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
It doesn't matter what you write if it can't be read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt not leaving an extra line between his paragraphs will make his PS unreadable
I
Reply 12

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does one "start on a new line" as opposed to skipping a line? How would you do it on Word?

Again, I'm sorry about sounding stupid.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does one "start on a new line" as opposed to skipping a line? How would you do it on Word?

In word press shift and enter. You need to be checking the character count as people have already said. In word, click on the button that lets you see how many words, then a box should come up telling you how many characters (with spaces). Try aiming for a few characters below 4,000, as UCAS adds on a couple of extra characters.

I'm sorry for not being clearer. Are you leaving an extra line between each paragraph? If so, just press enter once and thus, you're starting a paragraph on the next line

On UCAS when you paste your Personal Statement, it does this automatically for you (I.E. Takes out extra lines but after doing this if you're still over you'll have to cut out a few words)
Reply 15
Original post by TheTechN1304
In word press shift and enter. You need to be checking the character count as people have already said. In word, click on the button that lets you see how many words, then a box should come up telling you how many characters (with spaces). Try aiming for a few characters below 4,000, as UCAS adds on a couple of extra characters.

Right. Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 16
I'm sorry for not being clearer. Are you leaving an extra line between each paragraph? If so, just press enter once and thus, you're starting a paragraph on the next line

On UCAS when you paste your Personal Statement, it does this automatically for you (I.E. Takes out extra lines but after doing this if you're still over you'll have to cut out a few words)

Thank you :smile:

Personally, I think getting 50 more words in is more important than making it look a bit prettier.
I know when I applied my teachers pretty much insisted we space out our paragraphs properly and we all did just fine in terms of receiving offers.

Don't underestimate good presentation and getting your points across concisely.
Reply 19
I doubt not leaving an extra line between his paragraphs will make his PS unreadable
I

Then you've clearly never tried reading hundreds of badly formatted statements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending