The Student Room Group

Why do people frown on me (and people in general) for taking lots of notes?

And I mean everyone from my tutors saying it's unnecessary, to my family such as my mum wondering why I am going through so many diaries, to some former counsellors. Even my duty manager said I shouldn't real be carrying a notepad around for writing down stuff I need to learn about the job. I take lots of notes inside and outside of the classroom. (I've graduated now so it's not for lessons). Some of us just learn that way, why do people feel it's silly and think we're stupid for doing so :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Since they don't feel the need or like taking notes, they can't understand why anyone else would. Maybe it's just ignorance.
I guess it might suggest you lack the ability to be discriminate. To be able to separate wheat from chaff.

Its absolutely fine that you take notes (and even lots of notes). As you say, some people (myself included) learn best that way. If however your note taking is getting to a point where its drawing attention from almost everyone you professionally interact with, it may be a cue that it is excessive.

In your place, I would take a moment to reflect how much of what you record is truly useful, and how much you really go back to as reference. If you're filling out entire diaries and spending a fraction of the time looking back at them as you do filling them in; you may need to re-evaluate what information you deem important enough to record.
Is there anything that you can't turn into a self-depricating whine? I'm starting to think that you get off on this weird, masochistic, beta **** that you're always posting.
When Euripides said "Question everything," I don't think he was talking about this
also why do you ask questions that we couldn't possibly correctly answer??
Because it's pretentious.
Does it really bother you that they think you write things down too much? you have your reasons, let them think what they want.
Reply 8
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Does it really bother you that they think you write things down too much? you have your reasons, let them think what they want.

well when it gets to the point of my boss not allowing me to learn that way (forbidding use of notebook) and a counsellor suggesting it may be excessive I start to question those reasons.
Reply 9
Original post by clh_hilary
Because it's pretentious.

how's it pretentious? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by + polarity -
also why do you ask questions that we couldn't possibly correctly answer??

see also the 'lectures are pointless' thread where people discuss compulsive note-takers :smile:
Original post by Riku
how's it pretentious? :s-smilie:

If you understand it, you wouldn't have been doing it.
Reply 12
Original post by shiggydiggy
Is there anything that you can't turn into a self-depricating whine? I'm starting to think that you get off on this weird, masochistic, beta **** that you're always posting.

shiggydiggy I'm still frustrated that you told me my gf is probably cheating on me when she wasn't :/

also, masochistic?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
If you understand it, you wouldn't have been doing it.

surely that makes me slow, not pretentious.
Original post by Riku
well when it gets to the point of my boss not allowing me to learn that way (forbidding use of notebook) and a counsellor suggesting it may be excessive I start to question those reasons.

Perhaps it would be a good exercise for you to look at your notepads, examine what you've written and ask if it was actually necessary? Perhaps you'lll look and see that half of what you've written you absorbed immediately and didn't need a written reference? At least that way, in the unlikely event that you see that 100% of what you've written HAD to be written down, you'll know it wasn't fruitless doing so?
Original post by Riku
surely that makes me slow, not pretentious.

What I meant was, if you do understand how it is pretentious, you would not be taking notes excessively.
Reply 16
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Perhaps it would be a good exercise for you to look at your notepads, examine what you've written and ask if it was actually necessary? Perhaps you'lll look and see that half of what you've written you absorbed immediately and didn't need a written reference? At least that way, in the unlikely event that you see that 100% of what you've written HAD to be written down, you'll know it wasn't fruitless doing so?

I see where you're coming from but I write it because I'm scared one day I'll forget something crucial. Just a late night or drinking too much and bam, gone forever (if I do't have reference to it). I'm an information whore :frown:
Reply 17
What I meant was, if you do understand how it is pretentious, you would not be taking notes excessively.

I can put up with a little bit of pretentiousness to pass my exams and get a good degree :smile:
Riku, what happened to you cutting down on making threads?
Original post by Riku
I can put up with a little bit of pretentiousness to pass my exams and get a good degree :smile:

Whilst everybody learns a little differently, excessive note-taking does not benefit learning.

Quick Reply

Latest