The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by althornber1
Yes exactly the same with me! The lab was like solitary confinement for me, need to be on the front line with patients!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly how I felt. I was going stir crazy, so much more rewarding working with people
Original post by BiomedDentist
I know, I wish I had applied after A-levels, though I didn't know I wanted to do dentistry, at the time I was more interested in the research route at the time. I now realise I want my career to be patient based.
I am grateful for the biomedical sciences though, it has taught me a lot which will no doubt be beneficial in the future, hopefully make me a better dentist for it :smile:
It would be so great if we all got in

Yeah I agree I hated first year of Biomed because I always knew I wanted to do dentistry, but Biomed has definitely given me an excellent science foundation and i understand stuff so much better now!

Oh god it sounds so lame but I want it more than anything right now
Hi All

I've been out of higher education for a wee while now, maxing out the validity of my degree by leaving it for 4 years since graduation.

My story: Working out what to do with your life in your 20s is HARD. I graduated with a first in Zoology and, when faced with the chasm of UK economy, fell into a series of care work jobs. This was a changing experience, as I learnt the value of working with people and caring for the needs of others. When a dental student friend said drunkenly over a bottle of red wine, "Vic, you know what... you'd love dentistry!", it was the first time the thought had ever entered my head. It quickly became my heart's desire. A year on, I have a fab administration job in the great city of Edinburgh, a great flat, wonderful sets of friends, and the appeals of continuing here are great. Yet I have continued to work towards this application to attempt the dream, the challenge and the change of dentistry.

I did slightly better than average in the UKCAT test and have good high school grades as well as my Zoology degree. I strongly believe that the important things to sell yourself on are those learnt from your experiences, not the exact specifications, as a previous forum member has also discussed on this thread. I will apply to the three Scottish Universities and cross all my bits in the hope that NHS funding will continue for 2015 starters. Aberdeen is my preference. First things first though, writing that blooming personal statement!

Good luck to all!
How are you planning to fund an undergraduate again, as we would be liable to pay the £9000 fees per year ourselves?
I am in your position, I am applying for 3 grad entry and 1 5 year in the hope that I might find a way to fund it if all goes wrong with the grad entry application.

Hey, are graduate degrees fully funded then? Also do you know if there is more chance of getting getting into an undergraduate course or graduate?

Also for the UCLan, it seems according to their website they have an undergrad and graduate entry, but on UCAS there is only graduate entry :/ (it says for 2014 entry there is no undergraduate entry but for 2015 there is two pathways) I would like to apply for the undergrad course as i've heard graduate courses are harder as first year is crammed into second year! :s-smilie:
Reply 84
Hey. Do we need to include the marks obtained for every module of our degree on the Ucas form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VT180
Hey. Do we need to include the marks obtained for every module of our degree on the Ucas form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, your reference should put your predicted grade for your degree thats all, they don't need every module
Reply 86
Oh ok thank you! I already have my degree ? Do I need to prove anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I put each module in, but more as a quick reference for the universities to see what subjects my degree covered.
Reply 88
Original post by vic_cloud
Hi,
I put each module in, but more as a quick reference for the universities to see what subjects my degree covered.

I guess there's no harm in putting it in, I think they need to see a transcript anyways

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VT180
I guess there's no harm in putting it in, I think they need to see a transcript anyways

Posted from TSR Mobile

With several universities (aberdeen, uclan, liverpool), they ask for a transcript and verification of prior learning via email. Do we just put our name, UCAS ID or something in the email? I'm worried it won't get paired with my application! :confused:
With several universities (aberdeen, uclan, liverpool), they ask for a transcript and verification of prior learning via email. Do we just put our name, UCAS ID or something in the email? I'm worried it won't get paired with my application! :confused:

Yeah I was just going to put my name and ucas code..should be ok!
Also with the Aberdeen one, they haven't got a form so do we just list all the modules we have done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91

They would probably pair it up with your email address

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't know Aberdeen wanted one, does it say that on their website? And I think we need to put a description of the module too
Original post by r.turner20
I didn't know Aberdeen wanted one, does it say that on their website? And I think we need to put a description of the module too

Yeah they do it says so on their website in academic requirements. I was going to give them a call tomorrow so I can let you all know what they say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by althornber1
Yeah they do it says so on their website in academic requirements. I was going to give them a call tomorrow so I can let you all know what they say

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok great thankyou! Have you got your reference yet? My supervisor hasn't done mine yet even though I've reminded him like 3 times eek!

Thank you! I had not realised this was a requirement of Aberdeen. The text from the webpage is as below. I sent my transcript to them last year to check if my UG degree would be suitable, and they looked it over with the theory modules of my massage course this year and said it would be fine. So I will resend this information. Thanks again for the pointer.

When you submit your UCAS application form, please email the dental admissions office an up-to-date copy of your university transcript. Transcripts should be emailed to [email protected]. Please remember to include your UCAS Number in the email.

Ok great thankyou! Have you got your reference yet? My supervisor hasn't done mine yet even though I've reminded him like 3 times eek!

Hi there, my referee hasn't sent a reply back yet either. He's usually so on the ball that he replies within an hour, even in the evenings. He retired last week so I guess he's still celebrating, but he said he'd be checking his e-mails still so fingers and toes crossed! Hope yours sends his soon!

no problem :smile:
yeah finally managed to get mine to upload mine and he did it on friday!
Just keep on pestering him..thats what worked for me :smile:

They do, yes it's so unclear. What do they mean by verification of prior learning, do they just mean the transcript or is there something else we need to fill in
They do, yes it's so unclear. What do they mean by verification of prior learning, do they just mean the transcript or is there something else we need to fill in

I'm guessing it's just your transcript but I'll let you know for sure when I call them tomorrow :smile:
I have already graduated so I guess I'll throw in a copy of my certificate too

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest