The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Juve take the lead against Milan!!! Great pass from Pogba and a neat finish from Tevez.
Original post by aa22
x

There we go... 5 games in and a two point lead at the top for Benfica. Still early days but with us playing Sporting in the next round of games I feel this gap will be greater come this time next week.

Poor game vs Boavista. People can blame the weather / pitch and being down to ten men but the real reason we lost was because we didn’t create enough chances. With regards to the pitch it was only that chance where the ball would have gone straight through to Brahimi (and more than likely would have been a goal as it was heading straight to him) that the pitch caused a problem... the rest of the time the pitch was fine.

We just didn’t create enough chances and our set-pieces were poor. Boavista really frustrated us and then in the few chances we did create Mika pulled off a couple of good saves. That’s two games for Mika and two clean sheets. Putting this result aside I’m actually happy to see Mika getting an opportunity in this league. I think it was back in 2011 when you and I were pretty impressed with him as he had a very good tournament in the U20s for Portugal, then he signed with you but he only featured in the B-team. That was actually the last I heard of him until I read in the summer that he had signed for Boavista after leaving a team a few divisions below, so I didn’t actually realise he had left Benfica. So for him to be getting his chance and keeping two clean sheets in a team that previously conceded 7 goals in their first two games with Monllor in goal looks really good for him. Hopefully for him his career will begin to go forward as he did look like a good keeper previously and then tonight he was there again with his good saves.

A poor 45 minutes in the first half for Benfica but JJ must have said something to them at HT as they came out and put in a really good performance in the second half. Eliseu with a beautiful goal to get the scoring going. You did think after Moreirense went down to ten men that they would struggle to hold on though. I didn’t watch the Sporting match but I’ve seen the highlights and Sporting got what they deserved out of the match. A good win, which was much needed for them! The first two goals were pretty nice by Adrien and Nani too.
Reply 1002
Original post by ra-ra-ra
There we go... 5 games in and a two point lead at the top for Benfica. Still early days but with us playing Sporting in the next round of games I feel this gap will be greater come this time next week.

Poor game vs Boavista. People can blame the weather / pitch and being down to ten men but the real reason we lost was because we didn’t create enough chances. With regards to the pitch it was only that chance where the ball would have gone straight through to Brahimi (and more than likely would have been a goal as it was heading straight to him) that the pitch caused a problem... the rest of the time the pitch was fine.

We just didn’t create enough chances and our set-pieces were poor. Boavista really frustrated us and then in the few chances we did create Mika pulled off a couple of good saves. That’s two games for Mika and two clean sheets. Putting this result aside I’m actually happy to see Mika getting an opportunity in this league. I think it was back in 2011 when you and I were pretty impressed with him as he had a very good tournament in the U20s for Portugal, then he signed with you but he only featured in the B-team. That was actually the last I heard of him until I read in the summer that he had signed for Boavista after leaving a team a few divisions below, so I didn’t actually realise he had left Benfica. So for him to be getting his chance and keeping two clean sheets in a team that previously conceded 7 goals in their first two games with Monllor in goal looks really good for him. Hopefully for him his career will begin to go forward as he did look like a good keeper previously and then tonight he was there again with his good saves.

A poor 45 minutes in the first half for Benfica but JJ must have said something to them at HT as they came out and put in a really good performance in the second half. Eliseu with a beautiful goal to get the scoring going. You did think after Moreirense went down to ten men that they would struggle to hold on though. I didn’t watch the Sporting match but I’ve seen the highlights and Sporting got what they deserved out of the match. A good win, which was much needed for them! The first two goals were pretty nice by Adrien and Nani too.

Quick word about the Champions League, I really did expect us to lose to be honest. Zenit proved they are much better than us, and that sending off didn't help matters.

Porto were amazing though.. Brahimi is ridiculous!

Expected Sporting to win.. that last second equaliser was really disappointing.

Anyway, moving on.. wow, I did not expect Benfica to become the isolated league leaders so early! We haven't exactly been convincing so far, but we've already faced some tough tests like Boavista away and Sporting at home. Porto have surprised me in a bad way.. maybe Lopetegui is making too many changes to the team every match, so there is no consistency? The squad is clearly far superior to every other one, so it doesn't look very good.

Moreirense caused a lot of problems to us, but thankfully Eliseu made up for his defensive mistake by getting us another important goal (What a goal btw!), and Maxi completed the comeback. It's nice to have a goal threat from so deep!

Boavista proved that their performance against Benfica wasn't a fluke by getting a draw at the Dragao! They might end up not having such a bad season after all. RE: Mika, yeh, I had completely forgotten that he had gone to Boavista until I saw him playing for them last night.. like you said, I also hope he gets his career back on track because he was definitely impressive back in 2011!

Sporting did well to finally get back to winning ways. 4-0 is just what they needed too.

Looking forward to next weekend too. Sporting-Porto will be excellent.. hopefully ends in a draw! :P

Estoril will be a tough test for Benfica too..
Reply 1003
Is there anything to Leo Jardim as a manager other than his connection to the baller that is Mendes?

The guy is going to get Monaco relegated, not that I'm complaining mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aa22
Quick word about the Champions League, I really did expect us to lose to be honest. Zenit proved they are much better than us, and that sending off didn't help matters.

Porto were amazing though.. Brahimi is ridiculous!

Expected Sporting to win.. that last second equaliser was really disappointing.

Anyway, moving on.. wow, I did not expect Benfica to become the isolated league leaders so early! We haven't exactly been convincing so far, but we've already faced some tough tests like Boavista away and Sporting at home. Porto have surprised me in a bad way.. maybe Lopetegui is making too many changes to the team every match, so there is no consistency? The squad is clearly far superior to every other one, so it doesn't look very good.

Moreirense caused a lot of problems to us, but thankfully Eliseu made up for his defensive mistake by getting us another important goal (What a goal btw!), and Maxi completed the comeback. It's nice to have a goal threat from so deep!

Boavista proved that their performance against Benfica wasn't a fluke by getting a draw at the Dragao! They might end up not having such a bad season after all. RE: Mika, yeh, I had completely forgotten that he had gone to Boavista until I saw him playing for them last night.. like you said, I also hope he gets his career back on track because he was definitely impressive back in 2011!

Sporting did well to finally get back to winning ways. 4-0 is just what they needed too.

Looking forward to next weekend too. Sporting-Porto will be excellent.. hopefully ends in a draw! :P

Estoril will be a tough test for Benfica too..

Quite a bit has gone on since I last replied to you.

Firstly the league...

We need to win this weekend, three draws in a row is not good enough and if we draw again then it will be bad as I think we can safely say you will not drop points against Arouca. I think you’ve completely nailed it about Porto, we’re changing our team around too much making it a lot more difficult for us to actually gel together as a team. As good as it is to have such depth in the squad Lopetegui changing it every single game is beginning to become frustrating. I expected the changes a bit later on in the season when they become a bit more fatigued and when we start introducing the Taça matches, right now I don’t understand the need to change it this much.

If we do draw this weekend and you lot win you will have a 6 point advantage over us... ALREADY!! Crazy but I’m expecting this to be the outcome come 8pm tomorrow night. It’s crazy as this is probably one of the strongest sides we’ve had in a while so we should be performing better than this.

Another 4-0 for Sporting tonight, it actually looked like they were never going to score but once the first goal went in that was it and they scored the other three. Another goal for Nani and finally a goal for Fredy Montero. The commentator said his last league goal was in December? I didn’t think it was that long since he last scored a league goal! He needed that!

As for the Champions League, I didn’t watch the Benfica match but pretty frustrating that you managed to get back into it only to concede the penalty so soon after it for Leverkusen to make it 3-1. From the highlights that match could have been a lot worse for you lot, but it’s not looking great with two defeats already. Definitely need to pick up a win against Monaco in the next CL match, ideally two wins against them in these next two matches but a win and a draw would help you out, can’t afford to lose another.

I didn’t expect Sporting to win or get anything out of the match vs Chelsea but the score line was certainly closer than I expected it to be. It sounded like Rui played a blinder too. Trust it to be Matic to score the goal against them though.

I can’t believe Porto! Again, I think this was the consequence of Lopetegui changing the team and making Jackson sit on the bench. We should have gone into half time with a lead, to then find ourselves 2-0 down in the second half was annoying... I actually didn’t see any way back for us, so I was pretty surprised that we scored those two late goals.

A very good win for Estoril to beat Panathinaikos 2-0, made up for them to get a Europa League win but such a shame for Rio Ave to lose out with such a narrow defeat. Hopefully they will pick up their first win in the competition soon, or even just a point would be something great for them!

Now for the national team...

What do you think about Fernando Santos? I find it pretty bizarre that we’ve picked a person who can’t even be like a proper manager due to his touchline ban. I know he can do the rest of the managerial role with picking the teams and tactics etc, but not having the managers presence on the side of the pitch can be a huge impact. I just think it’s a bit of a strange person for the job at the moment considering he has this 8 match touchline ban. However, I’m just glad to see the back of Bento and seeing Jose Fonte called up over Ricardo Costa is a great relief. He deserves that call up and I’m very happy he has finally got it. I’m happy with João Mário, Cédric and Adrien being included too. I do find the call up of Ricardo Carvalho an unexpected one, quite odd to see Tiago recalled as too Danny. As for Quaresma being recalled... He's baaaack. :biggrin:
River vs Boca, tonight at 9. It is being shown live on here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/webfutbolparatodos

Anyone watching?
This match should be abandoned. The pitch is like a swamp.
Original post by Wilfred Little
This match should be abandoned. The pitch is like a swamp.

Not sure if football or waterpolo tbh. If it was any other match it would be called off. Just because it's a derby...
Original post by asr11
Not sure if football or waterpolo tbh. If it was any other match it would be called off. Just because it's a derby...

Entertaining watch though. Gol Boca :cool: 1-0.

Apparently, this channel is run by the Argentine government so everyone in the country can watch all the league football, every match is shown on it. It is called 'Futbol Para Todos'; (football for all) and is on the terrestrial TV over there as well so even the poorest people (as long as they have a telly) can watch it.

Fair ****ing play to them. I might pick an Argentine side to follow and pay this league more attention.
Entertaining watch though. Gol Boca :cool: 1-0.

Apparently, this channel is run by the Argentine government so everyone in the country can watch all the league football, every match is shown on it. It is called 'Futbol Para Todos'; (football for all) and is on the terrestrial TV over there as well so even the poorest people (as long as they have a telly) can watch it.

Fair ****ing play to them. I might pick an Argentine side to follow and pay this league more attention.

Just looked up there that River Plate are top and Boca are down in 13th so ATM the score is suprising.

Would love to go to this game once. No doubt it would it probably be incredible. If a lot of these games are free to watch as you say i might check out a few games throughout the season.

I have an affection for Velez Sarsfield mainly due to football manager so i'd like to see them do well this season.
Original post by asr11
Just looked up there that River Plate are top and Boca are down in 13th so ATM the score is suprising.

Would love to go to this game once. No doubt it would it probably be incredible. If a lot of these games are free to watch as you say i might check out a few games throughout the season.

I have an affection for Velez Sarsfield mainly due to football manager so i'd like to see them do well this season.

Yeah the ground looks fantastic with all the flags. I swear I was reading about the 'Superclasico' a while back, people have been shot at the games :eek::confused:
Yeah the ground looks fantastic with all the flags. I swear I was reading about the 'Superclasico' a while back, people have been shot at the games :eek::confused:

Sounds about right!

They’ve still got that away fan ban around the stadiums in Argentina but you still get the violence happening. The government put this in place in hope it would decrease the violence, which has partly worked, but it’s still pretty easy to arrange a fight with your rivals. Like today there was an incident between the fans in San Telmo and also close to the Buenos Aires Herald offices too.

Given the circumstances this match was as good as it could have been, certainly not the best Superclásico I’ve watched. Had this game taken place on a dry day then Boca probably would have struggled. The pitch didn’t allow River to play the type of football they’ve played over the past nine matches which has lead them to where they are now. Still unbeaten though.

But you should definitely give the league a bit more of a go. Newell’s vs River should be a good match next week. Then the weekend after (18/10) you’ve got the big Rosario Derby with Rosario Central against Newell’s. I have to admit that the away fan ban has taken some of the "fun" out of these games as it has impacted the once great atmosphere these games used to create but they’re still a pretty decent watch.

Futbolparatodos is a wonderful thing though, saves having to search and watch on some rubbish stream. It’s probably a reason why I watch as much football from Argentina as I do. Brazilian football is still my preferred choice from the continent but I’ve noticed I do watch a bit more football from Argentina than I used to due to the ease of Futbolparatodos.

Thanks ra. Why do you prefer the Brazilian league over the Argentine one?

Was a decent watch but the match really should have been abandoned, it was farcical at times. Do you know when the away fans will be allowed back into the grounds?

If I'd have known all these matches were on YouTube and free I'd have probably watched them sooner.
Thanks ra. Why do you prefer the Brazilian league over the Argentine one?

Was a decent watch but the match really should have been abandoned, it was farcical at times. Do you know when the away fans will be allowed back into the grounds?

If I'd have known all these matches were on YouTube and free I'd have probably watched them sooner.

It’s mainly just personal preference but I just find the Brazilian league more enjoyable. There are more teams in Brazil that I enjoy watching and I find there are a few more players in the league that I’m quite keen on watching too.

This particular away fan ban has been ongoing since last year when a Lanus fan was killed during fan clashes when they played away at Estudiantes. It was later confirmed that it was a police officer that shot the Lanus fan, but this all happened due to the clashes with the fans outside the stadium. During the time this happened I remember there was trouble in the River-Independiente match, where Independiente fans caused a bit of damage to Rivers stadium, and there was also another game during that week that was suspended because of fan clashes but the two teams involved in that game has escaped from my memory. So quite a bit happened in quick succession. The ban was only meant to be a two match ban but then this happened in a preseason game and so the government and AFA agreed to keep it in place until all football authorities take action with violence in football, so this will be on going in all matches across all divisions until further notice. Down in the lower leagues in Argentina they’ve had these away fan bans on and off for many years, I constantly hear of them being introduced only for them to be rescinded so many games after until something bad happens between the fans and they decide to reintroduce them. So it's just like a merry-go-round.

It’s a shame as the atmosphere in the big derby games has been tarnished and I can’t see the violence escaping the game in Argentina any time soon. Barra Brava's (and the rest) will always find a way to arrange a fight regardless of whether they are inside the stadium or not.

Ah, I did mention on this site a few months back about the YouTube channel of Fútbol para Todos being a good one to keep an eye on for the football games. Certainly a good way to get people to become interested with the league.
(edited 9 years ago)
Indian Super League starting tomorrow. Should be jokes :lol:
Don't know if Euro 2016 qualifiers belong here, but as it stands, four of the five British countries top a qualifying group after 2 games (the only one not to being Scotland)
Original post by Isometrix
Indian Super League starting tomorrow. Should be jokes :lol:

Yeah, is it being shown on a channel here?

But I find it hilarious that Indian administrators think they can replicate the success of the cricketing IPL to football with players pretty much in retirement.

Intrigued by Atletico de Kolkata though...purely for the name.
Original post by shawn_o1
Don't know if Euro 2016 qualifiers belong here, but as it stands, four of the five British countries top a qualifying group after 2 games (the only one not to being Scotland)

Five?

England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, Republic of Ireland was British until 1921. My bad
Reply 1019
Quite a bit has gone on since I last replied to you.

Firstly the league...

We need to win this weekend, three draws in a row is not good enough and if we draw again then it will be bad as I think we can safely say you will not drop points against Arouca. I think you’ve completely nailed it about Porto, we’re changing our team around too much making it a lot more difficult for us to actually gel together as a team. As good as it is to have such depth in the squad Lopetegui changing it every single game is beginning to become frustrating. I expected the changes a bit later on in the season when they become a bit more fatigued and when we start introducing the Taça matches, right now I don’t understand the need to change it this much.

If we do draw this weekend and you lot win you will have a 6 point advantage over us... ALREADY!! Crazy but I’m expecting this to be the outcome come 8pm tomorrow night. It’s crazy as this is probably one of the strongest sides we’ve had in a while so we should be performing better than this.

Another 4-0 for Sporting tonight, it actually looked like they were never going to score but once the first goal went in that was it and they scored the other three. Another goal for Nani and finally a goal for Fredy Montero. The commentator said his last league goal was in December? I didn’t think it was that long since he last scored a league goal! He needed that!

As for the Champions League, I didn’t watch the Benfica match but pretty frustrating that you managed to get back into it only to concede the penalty so soon after it for Leverkusen to make it 3-1. From the highlights that match could have been a lot worse for you lot, but it’s not looking great with two defeats already. Definitely need to pick up a win against Monaco in the next CL match, ideally two wins against them in these next two matches but a win and a draw would help you out, can’t afford to lose another.

I didn’t expect Sporting to win or get anything out of the match vs Chelsea but the score line was certainly closer than I expected it to be. It sounded like Rui played a blinder too. Trust it to be Matic to score the goal against them though.

I can’t believe Porto! Again, I think this was the consequence of Lopetegui changing the team and making Jackson sit on the bench. We should have gone into half time with a lead, to then find ourselves 2-0 down in the second half was annoying... I actually didn’t see any way back for us, so I was pretty surprised that we scored those two late goals.

A very good win for Estoril to beat Panathinaikos 2-0, made up for them to get a Europa League win but such a shame for Rio Ave to lose out with such a narrow defeat. Hopefully they will pick up their first win in the competition soon, or even just a point would be something great for them!

Now for the national team...

What do you think about Fernando Santos? I find it pretty bizarre that we’ve picked a person who can’t even be like a proper manager due to his touchline ban. I know he can do the rest of the managerial role with picking the teams and tactics etc, but not having the managers presence on the side of the pitch can be a huge impact. I just think it’s a bit of a strange person for the job at the moment considering he has this 8 match touchline ban. However, I’m just glad to see the back of Bento and seeing Jose Fonte called up over Ricardo Costa is a great relief. He deserves that call up and I’m very happy he has finally got it. I’m happy with João Mário, Cédric and Adrien being included too. I do find the call up of Ricardo Carvalho an unexpected one, quite odd to see Tiago recalled as too Danny. As for Quaresma being recalled... He's baaaack. :biggrin:

Heh, it's been a while since I've had the time to post here too. New job has taken up most of my time...

The League is going pretty well so far. We left it late in that last match but somehow managed to end up with a 4-0 win, quite similarly to how Sporting managed it.

I was hoping braga would slow you lot down even further, but Porto managed to get the win.

Oh well, still 4 points ahead, which I would not have believed in the slightest if you had told me that at the beginning of the season.

Talisca has been pretty weird.. He keeps popping up with important goals, but the next minute he will fail to control the simplest of balls. He's getting hyped up so much though, so I hope it doesn't go to his head.

Anyway,

The Portugal match against France was a good performance, I thought. We started off badly, but we managed to settle in well and had some good chances. I reckon if we had out best defence (ie with Coentrao and Silvio) we might have had a better result.

I'm hoping that Fernando Santos can bring us some of that defensive solidity that he had with Greece. We badly need improvements in defence.

Second half was much better than the first. Tiago coming back is a big plus for the midfield and he worked really well with William to solidify the midfield.

Danny didn't do much and it was interesting to have Ronaldo as the main striker.. It didn't really work though, so we still need a striker.

João mario did really well when he came on. Won a penalty and had some good shots.

I was watching the u21 match and to be honest, it's a bit hard to not get excited about this crop of players. We dominated a strong Dutch side. In central midfield we are absolutely brimming with quality. A lot of high quality players coming through and it'll be hard to pick between them (which is a good problem to have!). And we have good wingers and attackers too.

Defensively, Paulo Oliveira looked good, as did Raphael Guerreiro, who reminded me a lot of Coentrao.

I'm sure we'll see a lot of them move up to the first team, but for now, I can see them doing really well in the U21 championships.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good performance, and a win, against Denmark.. They usually give us some problems though..

Quick Reply

Latest