The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have any tips for keeping from dissociating? I know a couple of things that trigger it for me (one I can't go into, the other is certain pieces of music), and I can usually sense myself slipping into that kind of state, I just then don't/can't do anything about it. :s-smilie:
Original post by superwolf
Anyone have any tips for keeping from dissociating? I know a couple of things that trigger it for me (one I can't go into, the other is certain pieces of music), and I can usually sense myself slipping into that kind of state, I just then don't/can't do anything about it. :s-smilie:

It's not an answer, but what actually is dissociating? I think I might do it (or have done in the past, not so much recently) but I'm not sure :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
It's not an answer, but what actually is dissociating? I think I might do it (or have done in the past, not so much recently) but I'm not sure :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure of the exact definition, but my psychologist said from what I've described it seems like I do it. I just kind of fall out of place with the rest of the world, almost like I'm getting really absorbed and focussed on something, only there's nothing there that I'm actually focussing on. Everything just disappears from view. Dunno if that makes it clear at all, not really thinking clearly right now. :erm:

Spoiler

It's very difficult because dissociating is almost like a coping mechanism and therefore you don't want to stop it. I've found that having as many conversations (real life) with people helps me get back into reality.
Original post by Cinnie
It's very difficult because dissociating is almost like a coping mechanism and therefore you don't want to stop it. I've found that having as many conversations (real life) with people helps me get back into reality.

There's no-one home but me. :frown: I was fine earlier then I made a stupid decision, and now my ears are ringing, I feel sick, and nothing around me feels right. Trying not to put certain songs on to listen to.
There's no-one home but me. :frown: I was fine earlier then I made a stupid decision, and now my ears are ringing, I feel sick, and nothing around me feels right. Trying not to put certain songs on to listen to.

I'm in uni so I can't reply to you on Skype but are you okay? I'll call you on Skype as soon as I'm home at around 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you go out for a walk or to the shops or something? Or call somebody?
I'm not sure of the exact definition, but my psychologist said from what I've described it seems like I do it. I just kind of fall out of place with the rest of the world, almost like I'm getting really absorbed and focussed on something, only there's nothing there that I'm actually focussing on. Everything just disappears from view. Dunno if that makes it clear at all, not really thinking clearly right now. :erm:

Spoiler

I kind of know what you mean, thanks :redface: Could you talk to someone about it, like on the phone or something? Or find something that makes you be involved in it, like playing an instrument or something if you have one? :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Edit: Or goin for a walk could help, but make sure someone knows where you're going/roughly how long you'll be so they know you're safe :hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Odd socks
I'm in uni so I can't reply to you on Skype but are you okay? I'll call you on Skype as soon as I'm home at around 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't honestly say I'm ok, but it's nothing I can talk about on here. Can't think what else to say, will respond to other posts later.
I can't honestly say I'm ok, but it's nothing I can talk about on here. Can't think what else to say, will respond to other posts later.

:console: oh hun are you at least safe? If you can get on Facebook you could message me on there or send me a PM on here if you want to talk just now :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
:console: oh hun are you at least safe? If you can get on Facebook you could message me on there or send me a PM on here if you want to talk just now :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Safe enough I think. Hard to form words though.

:hugs: :hugs:

When you throw wolfie to the wolves, she comes back leading the pack :biggrin: :redface:

:cube:

I have no advice but have a hug
:hugs::hugs:
Have lots of hugs
:jumphug::jumphug:
Have all the hugs
:console::hugs: :grouphugs::penguinhug:
Got to go out in a bit and I'm scared, plus it's thundering and tipping it down so I'm going to get soaked :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:sigh:
was on the verge of dissociating throughout all my classes today, and when i was able to think i was thinking about bad bad things :sigh: hiding in the library because i know i'll collapse into a puddle when i get back to my room :sigh: can't do this any more, i hate myself so much, i can't stand to be me :sigh:
Original post by Team_McDreamy
:sigh:

:hugs:
I'm not feeling good, I'm not feeling good at all :sad:
Just inquired about a job helping autistic people, much better than working in retail for me. Hope I get it now, worried I'll get too nervous & they won't let me because of my inexperience. However I know someone else who got in with no prior experience so ets see how it goes? :h:

On another note, how's everyone feeling today? :smile:
Original post by IDukem
I'm not feeling good, I'm not feeling good at all :sad:

Oh nooo :hugs: what's up?
^^Me

Ohgodohgod they're cooking me food they're gonna force it down me. Could cry. And now I have to go out for the whole evening. None of it in my control. Nothing :cry:

Latest