The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by buttoned.up
The website has been updated for 2015 entry, and under entry requirements states 50 minimums per section too.

Parts of the site have still not been updated, or at least they weren't when I checked at the weekend. But the main issue was the 2015 entry PDF, hosted on their site, and handed out at the open day which stated 55 in all sections.
You'd have hoped the guides were checked before they were handed out.

Original post by Tabris
They already told me by email a while back. Thanks for the thought anyway

Ah sorry, I did read that. GAMSAT prep screwing with my mind obviously.
I come bearing pre-GAMSAT gifts.

Interview statistics for 2014 entry:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4qxpu74em7bqrxw/FOI2014-2015_017.pdf

GAMSAT statistics for 2012 and 2014 entry:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/db031q17n1i5uvt/FOI2014-2015_018.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/t7dy7dcww3dph2j/2012_and_2014_GAMSAT_scores.xlsx

2013 entry was omitted due to different GAMSAT scoring for interview.

Cliffs:

Average GAMSAT scores for SGUL applicants are about 55.5, 61, 51.5, with an overall average of 55.
Last year, some inhuman got 100 in Paper 3.

Visualised spreadsheet data:
Red is where the cut-offs for that year were.

For those of you who may be feeling glum about your exam yesterday, you may be able to take some hope in knowing that George's also use equally weighted averages for their cut-offs, so even with a GAMSAT score of 58, the alternative calculations can still allow you to meet the interview requirements.

Approximately 40 people in 2012 probably secured interviews this way and about 55 in 2014, with some of the lowest being scores like: 61, 69, 51; 61, 68, 50; 59, 73, 50.

This also helped to make up the numbers for 2014 entry where only 250 people had scores of 60 or above.

There is still hope, even if you have a low score.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JeffNoThanks
x

Perhaps I am being really dim, but what on earth does this mean in that FOI request/reponse: 'To be selected for interview in 2014, applicants were required to have a minimum of 50 in each section of the GAMSAT test. An overall score of 60 was required in addition. The minimum overall score to be offered a place post-interview was 32.'

Is this not really contradictory - you needed 60 to meet the cut-off, so what is this 32 minimum?
Reply 63
Original post by buttoned.up
Perhaps I am being really dim, but what on earth does this mean in that FOI request/reponse: 'To be selected for interview in 2014, applicants were required to have a minimum of 50 in each section of the GAMSAT test. An overall score of 60 was required in addition. The minimum overall score to be offered a place post-interview was 32.'

Is this not really contradictory - you needed 60 to meet the cut-off, so what is this 32 minimum?

To secure an interview:
Minimum of 50 in each section of the GAMSAT (S1, S2 & S3)
The average of the three must be 60 (S1+S2+S3+S3)/4 or (S1+S2+S3)/3.

At interview, you are marked out of 40 (5 marks per station). You needed at least 32 to get an offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Tabris

At interview, you are marked out of 40 (5 marks per station). You needed at least 32 to get an offer.

Ah this is news to me. Thanks :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Zorg
Ah this is news to me. Thanks :smile:

AFAIK, as well, it's not that they only have 5 marks to give you per station, it's just that's how many you are given overall. So like you may be marked out of 10, but they'll convert it to 5 to add things up. At least, that's how I think it works.
Original post by MiloMilo
Hello everyone,

I might be slightly early, but thought it would be a good idea to set-up a thread for all applicants looking to apply to the St. George's University of London GEM programme this October!

Over the next few months, I am sure the discussion will be largely just everyone introducing themselves. So, I think I will start off!:

I am a pre-registration pharmacist :smile: I am quite fortunate in that I have already sat my GAMSAT, however that just means I have more time to worry about interviews! So, I will soon be getting loads of strange looks when practicing in front of my mirror with a hairbrush...

I will be looking to keep this post updated with any recent news and updates that arise over the course of the admissions process. I will try very hard to keep this up-to-date myself, but may need prompting by anyone who spots anything looking a bit outdated!

Also, if you're thinking this looks strangely similar to another thread you've seen... you would be right! Please visit my other threads if you are looking to meet other TSR members applying for the following medical schools:

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2730753
Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2734794

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Admissions News and Updates - -

Latest news: "Thread opens its doors... (10th July)"

UCAS Applications: Will open mid-September and close 15th October (Source: UCAS website)
Interview Dates: Throughout January (Source: SGUL website)
Interview Outcomes Released: Mid-late February (Source: SGUL website)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Can i ask what your results are?
Original post by JeffNoThanks
I come bearing pre-GAMSAT gifts.

Interview statistics for 2014 entry:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4qxpu74em7bqrxw/FOI2014-2015_017.pdf

GAMSAT statistics for 2012 and 2014 entry:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/db031q17n1i5uvt/FOI2014-2015_018.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/t7dy7dcww3dph2j/2012_and_2014_GAMSAT_scores.xlsx

2013 entry was omitted due to different GAMSAT scoring for interview.

Cliffs:

Average GAMSAT scores for SGUL applicants are about 55.5, 61, 51.5, with an overall average of 55.
Last year, some inhuman got 100 in Paper 3.

Visualised spreadsheet data:
Red is where the cut-offs for that year were.

For those of you who may be feeling glum about your exam yesterday, you may be able to take some hope in knowing that George's also use equally weighted averages for their cut-offs, so even with a GAMSAT score of 58, the alternative calculations can still allow you to meet the interview requirements.

Approximately 40 people in 2012 probably secured interviews this way and about 55 in 2014, with some of the lowest being scores like: 61, 69, 51; 61, 68, 50; 59, 73, 50.

This also helped to make up the numbers for 2014 entry where only 250 people had scores of 60 or above.

There is still hope, even if you have a low score.

what do you mean alternative scoring? equal weighting?
Reply 68
Original post by HCAssistant93
what do you mean alternative scoring? equal weighting?

They calculate your GAMSAT score in two ways:

Firstly. The way that GAMSAT calculate when they send you your results: (S1+S2+S3+S3)/4
And the alternative way is (S1+S2+S3)/3.

So my score of 68,67,63 can be calculated as either 65 or 66 using the alternative method.
oh ok i get you. Wow well done on your result! You must feel so good with that, knowing youre safe :-)
Does anyone know if you have to put University module marks on Ucas? And if so how do you do it?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Does anyone know if you have to put University module marks on Ucas? And if so how do you do it?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on what your tutor wants. You fill in the modules in the education section. UCAS gives you the form.

Original post by Tabris
Depends on what your tutor wants. You fill in the modules in the education section. UCAS gives you the form.

I mean university modules. I have graduated so no longer at uni. Is it obligatory to do it? you wont get marked down if you dont?
Reply 73
I mean university modules. I have graduated so no longer at uni. Is it obligatory to do it? you wont get marked down if you dont?

The course pages state if they consider module grades.
Original post by Zorg
The course pages state if they consider module grades.

Ye i think most of them ask for a transcript anyway, so Ill put them on
Any know when interviews will start?
Original post by document35
Any know when interviews will start?

We haven't had gamsat results yet! We need to wait for those and then wait to hear about cut offs!
We haven't had gamsat results yet! We need to wait for those and then wait to hear about cut offs!

So do we know the exact date the gamsat results will be released?
Original post by document35
So do we know the exact date the gamsat results will be released?

If it's the same as previous years then it could be around tuesday
Reply 79
Last year it was 2 months to the day of the exam in Sept (so theoretically 17th Nov - Mon), and I got the email around 5.30am.

St George's released their interviews on that afternoon...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending