The Student Room Group

BTEC, UCAS and GRADING Confused

Hey Everyone,

So I'm in year 12 doing a BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma for IT AND Applied Science. I'm confused over the fact that University's in the UK take grades like DDD, DDM and MMM etc.. I was wondering because ive been told that for BTEC science i have 6 units in year 12 and 13, same for my BTEC IT. So wouldn't the grades come out to be like DDDDDDDDDDDD for example with BTEC science and IT by the end of year 13 once im in my transition to uni? What makes it 3 grades of DDD DDM ETC..?:confused::confused::colone::colone:
Reply 1
Original post by Deeboss
Hey Everyone,

So I'm in year 12 doing a BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma for IT AND Applied Science. I'm confused over the fact that University's in the UK take grades like DDD, DDM and MMM etc.. I was wondering because ive been told that for BTEC science i have 6 units in year 12 and 13, same for my BTEC IT. So wouldn't the grades come out to be like DDDDDDDDDDDD for example with BTEC science and IT by the end of year 13 once im in my transition to uni? What makes it 3 grades of DDD DDM ETC..?:confused::confused::colone::colone:

a BTEC Extended diploma has 3 grades because its worth 3 alevels e.g. DDM = AAC
a BTEC diploma is worth 2 a levels and has 2 grades e.g. D*D = A*A
and a BTEC subsidiary diploma is worth 1 a level and has 1 grade e.g. P = E, M = C, D = A & D* = A*

most universities will list entry requirements based on the Extended diploma because it is the most common form of the qualification to gain entry with the subsidiary diplomas usually they will count against the A level offer so for example if the A level offer was AAB they might say get Distinction in 2 subsidiary diplomas and a B in a further A level thus making the offer equal as the subsidiary diplomas are worth 1 A level each.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yt7777
a BTEC Extended diploma has 3 grades because its worth 3 alevels e.g. DDM = AAC
a BTEC diploma is worth 2 a levels and has 2 grades e.g. D*D = A*A
and a BTEC subsidiary diploma is worth 1 a level and has 1 grade e.g. P = E, M = C, D = A & D* = A*

most universities will list entry requirements based on the Extended diploma because it is the most common form of the qualification to gain entry with the subsidiary diplomas usually they will count against the A level offer so for example if the A level offer was AAB they might say get Distinction in 2 subsidiary diplomas and a B in a further A level thus making the offer equal as the subsidiary diplomas are worth 1 A level each.

Thanks for the reply. However, from my college i have been informed that my BTEC LEVEL 3 Subsidary in IT and Science will both be worth 4 a-levels by the end of year 13? :confused: because the IT in year 12 and 13 is 1 A-LEVEL so thats a total of 2 A-LEVELS, and same goes with the BTEC Applied Science?
Reply 3
Original post by Deeboss
Thanks for the reply. However, from my college i have been informed that my BTEC LEVEL 3 Subsidary in IT and Science will both be worth 4 a-levels by the end of year 13? :confused: because the IT in year 12 and 13 is 1 A-LEVEL so thats a total of 2 A-LEVELS, and same goes with the BTEC Applied Science?

Well then it would be a 'BTEC diploma' which is worth 2 a levels, they might just call it a subsidiary for the first year then it turns into a diploma on completion of the second year, but btec subsidiaries are only worth one a level each
Reply 4
Original post by Deeboss
Hey Everyone,

Sorry I forgot to state when you see and offer of 3 grades that will always be in reference to an Extended diploma and for your 2 courses you'll come out with something like this:
1st year:
BTEC Subsidiary IT: D
BTEC Subsidiary Applied Science: D*
2nd year:
BTEC Diploma IT: DM
BTEC Diploma Applied Science: D*D
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by yt7777
Sorry I forgot to state when you see and offer of 3 grades that will always be in reference to an Extended diploma and for your 2 courses you'll come out with something like this:
1st year:
BTEC Subsidiary IT: D
BTEC Subsidiary Applied Science: D*
2nd year:
BTEC Diploma IT: DM
BTEC Diploma Applied Science: D*D

Soo everything you have kindly told me right, will i get to university? Thats the main question :cool:
Reply 6
Original post by Deeboss
Soo everything you have kindly told me right, will i get to university? Thats the main question :cool:

Yeah of course, you are doing the eqivilent of 4 A levels, I would email some of the universities before though, they may ask for certain units, I was required to have covered a significant amount of computing/programming content from my IT BTEC
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
Yeah of course, you are doing the eqivilent of 4 A levels, I would email some of the universities before though, they may ask for certain units, I was required to have covered a significant amount of computing/programming content from my IT BTEC

Oh wow! Thats great then Thanks allot bro. What are you studying at Uni/coll ?
Reply 8
Original post by Deeboss
Oh wow! Thats great then Thanks allot bro. What are you studying at Uni/coll ?

Computer Science at Royal Holloway, previously did a BTEC Extended in IT
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by yt7777
Computer Science at Royal Holloway, previously did a BTEC Extended in IT

Congratulations bro! Thats a really good uni for that course, im really grateful that you took your uni time to reply to my posts. Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Deeboss
Congratulations bro! Thats a really good uni for that course, im really grateful that you took your uni time to reply to my posts. Thanks

Thanks man, no worries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending