The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackTeh96
But the thing is that you have actual grades, whilst we have predicted grades only :frown:
Trinity is an ambitious choice!! I am sure you can make it!

There is that but there are only like 12 places at Trinity compared with the hundreds that apply to it...
Good luck to all I suppose! Which college are you looking at?
Original post by The_Top_Hat
There is that but there are only like 12 places at Trinity compared with the hundreds that apply to it...

Downing..

Downing..

King's College is worse, only 8 places and the same if not more applicants than Trinity :laugh: good luck to anyone applying there!

Caius has the largest medicine intake of all the colleges. Guess where I'm applying :biggrin:
Downing..

From what I hear, not a bad choice! Good luck!

Original post by Clai
King's College is worse, only 8 places and the same if not more applicants than Trinity :laugh: good luck to anyone applying there!

Caius has the largest medicine intake of all the colleges. Guess where I'm applying :biggrin:

Well as Trinity is the largest college I suppose it takes in a fair few medical applicants as it is but that still probably isn't above 20 so... Chances are so slim!
Well as Trinity is the largest college I suppose it takes in a fair few medical applicants as it is but that still probably isn't above 20 so... Chances are so slim!

You can see the statistics here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/
Reply 125
Wait do we have to take the TSA?
Original post by a123a
Wait do we have to take the TSA?

Nope! But BMAT section 1 is similar to the TSA.
Reply 127
Original post by cazmasetro
Hola peeps. My name's Callum, and I am going to be a cambridge fresher this october, studying medicine at Downing. I remember how student room helped me a great deal, so I feel like I should give back somehow, so if anyone has any questions about the application process for medicine at Cambridge, quote reply me here or send me a pm, and I'll get back to you. Whether that be the god-awful BMAT or interviews, I'll try my best.

Hi, Thanks for your information so far. Could you tell us about your interview at Downing college? Did they ask you general questions at all (why you want to become doctor/Medical ethics etc). I came to know that the two interviews are related to A level subjects. Is that true? How do i prepare for interview? Do you recommend any books?
Original post by poppy4
Hi, Thanks for your information so far. Could you tell us about your interview at Downing college? Did they ask you general questions at all (why you want to become doctor/Medical ethics etc). I came to know that the two interviews are related to A level subjects. Is that true? How do i prepare for interview? Do you recommend any books?

Are you applying to Downing?
Reply 129
Original post by lilixxx1000
Nope! But BMAT section 1 is similar to the TSA.

Phew! I thought that was one more thing we had to worry about!
Reply 130
Yes, I am applying to Downing
Reply 131
Are you applying to Downing?

Yes, I am applying to Downing.
Original post by poppy4
Yes, I am applying to Downing.

Same! thats really cool!
I assume you are applying to medicine, so how's your stat?
All up in here with 8.
Who's filling out the additional personal statement on the SAQ and the box where you say the extra stuff you do? Isn't the latter pointless cos you would've mentioned that in your personal statement anyway???
Original post by aprocrastinator
Who's filling out the additional personal statement on the SAQ and the box where you say the extra stuff you do? Isn't the latter pointless cos you would've mentioned that in your personal statement anyway???

Not at all. The SAQ additional PS is to show why you want to go to Cambridge in particular.
Not at all. The SAQ additional PS is to show why you want to go to Cambridge in particular.

I was talking about the box where you write the things you did to keep up interest in your subject - surely you would've written those things in your PS? So why write it again?

But the additional SAQ I understand but I've read that it doesn't matter if you leave the SAQ PS blank, but I do want to write something in it! However I fear I'm going to make loads of grammar/sentence structure errors or something IDK
Original post by aprocrastinator
I was talking about the box where you write the things you did to keep up interest in your subject - surely you would've written those things in your PS? So why write it again?

But the additional SAQ I understand but I've read that it doesn't matter if you leave the SAQ PS blank, but I do want to write something in it! However I fear I'm going to make loads of grammar/sentence structure errors or something IDK

Well you may want to elaborate on it like I did. 4000 characters in your PS isn't very much so I was happy to have an extra 300!
I'd just go for it, it isn't nearly as important as the main PS and I didn't really even get mine checked before I submitted my SAQ.
Well you may want to elaborate on it like I did. 4000 characters in your PS isn't very much so I was happy to have an extra 300!
I'd just go for it, it isn't nearly as important as the main PS and I didn't really even get mine checked before I submitted my SAQ.

I don't think I particularly want to XD I think I managed to fit the significant details in the PS!

True true. I may just stick with what I've written. Hopefully it can't do any harm.
Right I've applied to Fitzwilliam, look OK on paper but a long way still to go. Went to a state school for GCSEs then moved to CofE for 6th form. Details below.

Spoiler

Work Experience

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending