The Student Room Group

How does 3rd year compare to 2nd year?

If you give your overall score/mark in the 3rd and 2nd year or just a general idea, it'll be helpful
It might help you to specify a course. I got a 2.1 overall and a 2.1 in second year and a 2.1 with a first in a few modules in 3rd year. I studied animal behaviour and welfare, but I know people doing various biology courses, and I think we mostly had a shared experience.

I think the main difference was having to do my dissertation, although I felt 3rd year had a higher workload in general. I also messed up my module choice a little in third year, leaving me with one very busy term, and one much emptier one.

I collected my dissertation data over the summer, which I'm very glad I did, looking back. Having to collect data alongside my manic first term of third year would have been so hard. Having my dissertation to work on meant I felt a bit like I'd never finished my work. I found it easier to relax in second year, knowing that I'd finished all my assignments and done everything I needed to for uni. This also meant that I probably left my exam revision a little bit too late in third year, but I got 2.1s for all my exams, so I'm not going to complain.

I worked during second year, and I don't think I could have managed that in third year. It wasn't that third year was harder in terms of content, just I had more to do, and felt like the work was never ending, whereas I had more quieter periods in second year. I did think the content in second year was more complex/harder than first year, though.

I hope that helps a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It might help you to specify a course. I got a 2.1 overall and a 2.1 in second year and a 2.1 with a first in a few modules in 3rd year. I studied animal behaviour and welfare, but I know people doing various biology courses, and I think we mostly had a shared experience.

I think the main difference was having to do my dissertation, although I felt 3rd year had a higher workload in general. I also messed up my module choice a little in third year, leaving me with one very busy term, and one much emptier one.

I collected my dissertation data over the summer, which I'm very glad I did, looking back. Having to collect data alongside my manic first term of third year would have been so hard. Having my dissertation to work on meant I felt a bit like I'd never finished my work. I found it easier to relax in second year, knowing that I'd finished all my assignments and done everything I needed to for uni. This also meant that I probably left my exam revision a little bit too late in third year, but I got 2.1s for all my exams, so I'm not going to complain.

I worked during second year, and I don't think I could have managed that in third year. It wasn't that third year was harder in terms of content, just I had more to do, and felt like the work was never ending, whereas I had more quieter periods in second year. I did think the content in second year was more complex/harder than first year, though.

I hope that helps a bit.

I feel like I'll actually have less work to do in 3rd year (6 modules including the project, no coursework, 100% exams) compared to 2nd year (8 modules, 11 exams/lots of coursework throughout the year etc)

Our 3rd year is worth 60% and i've heard people generally do better in 3rd year, I was wondering just HOW much better since I wanted to jump up a grade :/

I'm doing Bio-med and I was right in middle of a 2:1

Thanks for replying, it did help :smile:
Original post by planet_tea
I feel like I'll actually have less work to do in 3rd year (6 modules including the project, no coursework, 100% exams) compared to 2nd year (8 modules, 11 exams/lots of coursework throughout the year etc)

Our 3rd year is worth 60% and i've heard people generally do better in 3rd year, I was wondering just HOW much better since I wanted to jump up a grade :/

I'm doing Bio-med and I was right in middle of a 2:1

Thanks for replying, it did help :smile:

Fair one, I think your third year is going to be pretty different to mine, I took a cw only module and both my optional modules were partly cw, as well as the dissertation because I didn't want to put too much pressure on my final exams.

I don't know if anyone I know did loads better in third year.

I would say building a good relationship with your project supervisor is probably a good idea, I think people who got a lot more support from their supervisors generally did better.

Do you have access to past papers?
Reply 4
I'll likely have to do less work in third year. In second year i had i think 9 essays, 1 project and 1 exam. In third year i have a dissertation, 1 essay, 2 exams and then 2 modules in semester 2 that i don't know yet.

With regards to grades my friend who graduated last year saw declining scores each year. I see no reason why i won't see a higher score in third year if my dissertation is decent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending