The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the statement 'People need protecting from violent media'

So I was curious what you though about how violent media e.g. songs lyrics, films, video games can affect people as well as how much censorship the government should have access to. So can you please tell me how much you think violent media affects people as well as whether or not countries should have more censorship of violent media. All feedback is welcomed! (Also if this thread is in the wrong place please let me know!)
(edited 9 years ago)
no; if you need to protect people from opinions and non-threatening images/displays then it fundamentally rejects the idea that human beings are intelligent and rational creatures that can form their own opinions without a government manipulating them. to say that people need "protecting" from the opinions or images of other people (be they a person in the street or a person on the television) then it treats people like either fools or children, or cowards, and that the government is a legal parent to individuals. what happened to the meaningful nature of the phrase "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"? are we really going to put that asside and make our society a weak-minded one where offence is institutionalised or encouraged? freedom of speech is the closest thing to something holy sacred in my opinion; to debate and persuade, not by violence, to make people feel or think certain things, is the wheel that drives all kinds of things, from philosophy and truth to opinions relating to the arts (e.g. if we censor certain artists, it is the government picking winners and losers through force and law - that is a form of corporatism in my mind if it favours some and not others). but honestly, government controlling the media is a venomous idea that is akin to propaganda; the government controls what we hear and see, meaning it is culturally engineering for its own sake and for its own utopian hell - the only people deciding cultural matters are individuals alone
(edited 9 years ago)
No. The media can say what it wants and if that is offensive then tough.
Violence in the media can affect people, according to some studies. For example, a researcher found that the US murder rate rises after heavyweight title boxing matches. Children especially can be affected, because children are more likely to mimic behaviour.

However, I'm not in favour of government censorship. Parents should take responsibility for what their children watch and listen to. Adults can make their own decisions.

The vast, vast majority of people are fine anyway, watching violent movies, playing violent computer games and listening to aggressive music. Perhaps greater awareness of potential effects such as desensitisation would be good, though. Most people will just say, "Well, I play violent games and I'm fine", but that doesn't mean that it isn't interesting to explore the subject, and it doesn't mean that nobody is affected.
Reply 4
Original post by Kittiara
Violence in the media can affect people, according to some studies. For example, a researcher found that the US murder rate rises after heavyweight title boxing matches.

However, an increase in violent crime is not limited to 'violent' sporting events - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/domestic-violence-increases-25-during-england-world-cup-games-9548658.html - which suggests there are probably other factors.

Also, regarding video games:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Jq7vPxYGg
Reply 5
imo 'violent media 's much more than images of physical harm to others, the psychological manipulation of young people preying on their insecurities in order to sell a product is just as harmful to their development. But lol if that's ever going to change welcome to Capitalism and we might as well shut down the media :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending