The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by althornber1
I'm guessing it's just your transcript but I'll let you know for sure when I call them tomorrow :smile:
I have already graduated so I guess I'll throw in a copy of my certificate too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it not kind of stupid how we send this when are application is sent off too? as we may not meet their learning requirements for graduate entry but its too late for us to change application choice so are we then just put through for the undergraduate course?
Ive tried to call Aberdeen today, but no answer :/ anyone had any luck?
Yeah been trying Aberdeen all day! But no answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have sent off my application and all my 'verification of prior learning' today :redface:.
Has anyone else applied/applying to Liverpool, UCLAN or Aberdeen?

Oh and does anyone know anything about the entrance exam for UCLAN?
Reply 103
Original post by BiomedDentist
I have sent off my application and all my 'verification of prior learning' today :redface:.

I went to the UCLAN open day and the lady said its a multiple choice exam that covers the topics on the verification learning document. She said you don't need a very high score to gain an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
I think UCLAN interview a lot of people. But I heard liverpool only interview around 30 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, what did you include in your transcript for Aberdeen uni? Just modules and a brief description of them? :smile:
Original post by r.turner20
hey, what did you include in your transcript for Aberdeen uni? Just modules and a brief description of them? :smile:

I just sent them a photocopy of my university transcript, you know the one they send you with your module results on?
They emailed back saying thank you, so hopefully that's ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All sent! And now the wait begins...

Posted from TSR Mobile
All sent! And now the wait begins...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!
Where did you apply?
Good luck!
Where did you apply?

applied to UCLAN and aberdeen for grad.. and Cardiff and Sheffield for undergrad! Not sure how I will fund it if I get into undergrad, but will cross that bridge when I come to it! Yourself?
applied to UCLAN and aberdeen for grad.. and Cardiff and Sheffield for undergrad! Not sure how I will fund it if I get into undergrad, but will cross that bridge when I come to it! Yourself?

I have applied to Liverpool, UCLAN and aberdeen for grad, and peninsula for undergrad! I'm not sure on funding either, but check out this website:
https://www.financemyfuture.co.uk/

Are you nervous for the UCLAN entrance exam? I'm waiting before booking transport to see if they give us anymore info on it
I have applied to Liverpool, UCLAN and aberdeen for grad, and peninsula for undergrad! I'm not sure on funding either, but check out this website:

Are you nervous for the UCLAN entrance exam? I'm waiting before booking transport to see if they give us anymore info on it

That website looks good thanks! It would be such a shame if you had an offer, and had to reject it on the basis of money.
Yeah i am! Does everyone do it, or do they just select a certain number of candidates? Ive heard its just a multiple choice exam.. so I will have to revise some areas
Reply 112
That website looks good thanks! It would be such a shame if you had an offer, and had to reject it on the basis of money.
Yeah i am! Does everyone do it, or do they just select a certain number of candidates? Ive heard its just a multiple choice exam.. so I will have to revise some areas

They select around 200 for the exam and then ask around 100 for an interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the best everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 114

Are you nervous for the UCLAN entrance exam? I'm waiting before booking transport to see if they give us any more info on it

Hey everyone! I'm currently at UCLan studying dentistry!

Just a couple of points:
Funding:
You can apply for student loans, but it is complex and technically you are applying as an undergrad on their form (<<< important). You can apply for the max maintenance loan, means tested or non-means tested. Student loans will only cover the first £5500ish of the tuition fees for all years. You must self fund the remainder for the first year, after that the NHS will fund it.

After first year, maintenance loan drops but you get a bursary instead.

Entrance exam:
I would say do not book transport this far in advance, if you are considering it, call the admissions first because I am pretty sure it is not carte-blanche for it. Everyone who meets the criteria gets to go to the entrance exam and everyone who passes goes to interview.

Do not spend hours & hours swotting for it, it's general stuff, with some subject specific questions (e.g. biochem, anatomy, biology) - so you'll either know it or you won't. By all means recap, but most of you guys are in third year you have other stuff to focus on too!

DON'T FORGET TO SEND YOUR VERIFICATION OF PRIOR LEARNING TO ADMISSIONS!!!

If you have any questions, PM me!
Good luck guys - you're nearly there! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jemms
Hey everyone! I'm currently at UCLan studying dentistry!

Just a couple of points:
Funding:
You can apply for student loans, but it is complex and technically you are applying as an undergrad on their form (<<< important). You can apply for the max maintenance loan, means tested or non-means tested. Student loans will only cover the first £5500ish of the tuition fees for all years. You must self fund the remainder for the first year, after that the NHS will fund it.

After first year, maintenance loan drops but you get a bursary instead.

Entrance exam:
I would say do not book transport this far in advance, if you are considering it, call the admissions first because I am pretty sure it is not carte-blanche for it. Everyone who meets the criteria gets to go to the entrance exam and everyone who passes goes to interview.

Do not spend hours & hours swotting for it, it's general stuff, with some subject specific questions (e.g. biochem, anatomy, biology) - so you'll either know it or you won't. By all means recap, but most of you guys are in third year you have other stuff to focus on too!

DON'T FORGET TO SEND YOUR VERIFICATION OF PRIOR LEARNING TO ADMISSIONS!!!

If you have any questions, PM me!
Good luck guys - you're nearly there! :smile:

Thanks for clearning that up! :smile:

Did anyone receive an email back from uclan? I got one from Aberdeen saying they had recieved my email and nothing from uclan! Me being the worrier I am am scared it didn't send properly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for clearning that up! :smile:

Did anyone receive an email back from uclan? I got one from Aberdeen saying they had recieved my email and nothing from uclan! Me being the worrier I am am scared it didn't send properly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't either don't worry, but did for aberdeen too :smile:
Reply 117
UCLan will send you a confirmation of receipt but it may take them a while as the deadline has just passed. It took them about 2 days to get back to me and i sent mine off about 2 weeks ago.
Reply 118
For anyone who is interested, the UKCAT results for this year have been released by Pierson Vue so you can gauge how you've done. Probably more useful for those applying to Kings and Aberdeen. The average has dropped quite a bit which will be good news for anyone that was worried theirs wasnt as good as what was the norm in previous years.
Original post by rkumar3
For anyone who is interested, the UKCAT results for this year have been released by Pierson Vue so you can gauge how you've done. Probably more useful for those applying to Kings and Aberdeen. The average has dropped quite a bit which will be good news for anyone that was worried theirs wasnt as good as what was the norm in previous years.

Do you have a link I could follow? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest