The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NineBurgundy
Anyone else here read Hitoshi Ashinano's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou? I think I'm the only person on earth to know who it is, and this needs to stop. Beautiful art style, great slow pacing, amazing worldbuilding, lovable characters. Just a shame it's only 14 volumes long.

Spoiler

Yep! It was one of the few series I read scanlated before my 'digital revolution' this year. :p: I watched the anime OVAs first of all, which was enough to interest me in the characters and setting, but the manga was far better.

I would recommend PositionN by the same manga-ka, if you haven't already read it. At only 7 chapters long it obviously doesn't have as much of a chance to build up its world and characters, but it's still lovely. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Which one should I watch/read hunter x hunter or sword art online?
Original post by Joshua697
Seems more like a question of which should you start first as both as pretty good :tongue:

Pick either one :borat:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Yep! It was one of the few series I read scanlated before my 'digital revolution' this year. :p: I watched the anime OVAs first of all, which was enough to interest me in the characters and setting, but the manga was far better.

I would recommend PositionN by the same manga-ka, if you haven't already read it. At only 7 chapters long it obviously doesn't have as much of a chance to build up its world and characters, but it's still lovely. :smile:

Thanks! Always great to meet another fan, aha. I'll definitely check out PositionN!

SAO is pretty awful imo, so start HxH first, since it's actually a pretty good series.

I can only comment on their anime adaptations, but I second NineBurgundy. In my opinion, the recent Hunter x Hunter remake was excellent all-round, whereas Sword Art Online's first series went from generic in the first half to obnoxious in the second.
Been enjoying the second season of log horizon so far.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
NARUTO is ending in 5 weeks.

http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/2326

Really? the whole manga? the final curtain and then its over with Naruto story? I would have never thought that Naruto is over long before One Piece.
Original post by Kallisto
Really? the whole manga? the final curtain and then its over with Naruto story? I would have never thought that Naruto is over long before One Piece.

Kishimoto has been saying Naruto would end around 2014 for a while so it isn't too surprising. Whereas Oda has said that One Piece is only about halfway through the story.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Kishimoto has been saying Naruto would end around 2014 for a while so it isn't too surprising. Whereas Oda has said that One Piece is only about halfway through the story.

I'm not up to date in terms of Naruto, so I could not know that. The halfway? that sounds really good, so there are sooo many chapters which will follow in the next times. I like One Piece. :smile:
Got around to watching the first episode of world trigger. Feel Mikumo could have been better drawn, as he seems to be shorter and stockier than in the manga. Aside from that really enjoyed it and hope the series stays canon to the manga.
I'm making some progress towards clearing my stalled series list, at last. I'm planning to finish Argento Soma tonight, after which I'll prioritise The iDOLM@STER, then Kaidan Restaurant. They're all watchable enough, but got left behind as I'm always being distracted by other series.

Manga-wise, a space has opened in my list for a new, ongoing series after I finished reading The Flowers of Evil (a bit of an anticlimax, but I don't think any ending would have really satisfied me TBH). As much as I'd like to pick up something that's licensed, my drop in income means I'll probably stick to just buying Red River for now, and opt for something scanlated. :beard:
hey guys, any promising shows this season? :beard: havent seen any anime apart from the Nisekoi OVA for over a month as i got kinda bored of it, bored of gaming now so gona go back to anime :tongue:

speaking of stalled shows i checked out my A-P and have 19 series which i stalled on the last one or two eps :mmm: :getmecoat: one day i'll get back to finishing them :colondollar:
Original post by eugenius 8
hey guys, any promising shows this season? :beard: havent seen any anime apart from the Nisekoi OVA for over a month as i got kinda bored of it, bored of gaming now so gona go back to anime :tongue:

speaking of stalled shows i checked out my A-P and have 19 series which i stalled on the last one or two eps :mmm: :getmecoat: one day i'll get back to finishing them :colondollar:

Best new shows so far for me are Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis, Parasyte, Garo, Shirobako & Amagi Brilliant Park. Followed by the sequels for Mushishi, Psycho-Pass and Gundam Build Fighters. It is actually turning out to be a very strong season!

Aside from sequels (there are a lot of good ones), the highlights for me have been Parasyte, Shingeki no Bahamut and Gugure! Kokkuri-san.
Reply 8035
hey guys, any promising shows this season?

Bahamut and Gundam Build Fighters Try have been stealing the season so far with their impressive dedication to fun.

Among other things I sampled, I stored Garo, Parasyte and Shirobako away for later -- the first two seem to stand a decent chance of being good (unusually, I'm familiar with the live-action Garo stuff and Parasyte's source material), and the third was educational and probably won't be outright bad.

I really liked Shirobako so far. If you enjoy "behind the scenes" style series like Bakuman, it's off to a promising start (except this focuses on making anime rather than manga).
Thanks everyone :smile:

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis
Parasyte
Garo
Shirobako & Amagi Brilliant Park
Gugure! Kokkuri-san

will check out tonight :cool:
Reply 8038
It's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy finalising everything at work before I went on maternity leave. The good thing is, I now have plenty of time for anime! :biggrin: That is, until the little one comes along.

In terms of the current season, I haven't dropped anything yet. I've picked up practically everything too, so I'm watching surplus 30 series. I no longer have the stamina to maintain this for the entire season, so I'll probably start dropping a few in the coming episodes.

Without going into too much detail, Mushishi Zoku Shou 2 and Psycho-Pass 2 are ticking all of the right boxes. I'm also thoroughly enjoying the television adaptation of Fate/stay night's UBW route, courtesy of ufotable's all-round stellar production. Other than that, Madhouse's adaptation of Parasyte/Kiseijuu Sei no Kakuritsu and A-1's Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso are both showing a lot of promise. :yes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Gonna start Log Horizon and Nichijou as soon as I finish my Light Novels.

Latest