The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

I like the detail :smile:

Original post by TSA
I just found a weight I'm comfortable at and do it for 5x10, it's a pretty low weight as I'm pretty much dead after the main workout and doing 5x10 for 50% of training max.

Fair, just don't make it too comfortable :tongue:

So what would I cut sitting or lying leg raises? I'll see how the GHRs feel and depending on how difficult/easy I find them will determine on whether I do it on Squat day or deadlift day.

Either or both :dontknow: you probably don't need leg curls if you're doing GHRs, they basically have a leg curl in them anyway. I've never done them myself though so yknow.

I've thought about that but seen some videos of some pretty funny/slightly dangerous slips and falls if it comes off whilst doing them. Preferably I need a low cost cheap version so still deciding on whether to get the resistance band or pull up bar. I'm also saving up for some olympic weight lifting shoes, so need to be wary of what I spend for the next few weeks.

If you get the right sort of bar that shouldn't be a problem, but oh well. In terms of training chin/pull ups until you can do them easy, I'd suggest looking into one of two things. Either choose the number of reps you want to get in your workout (e.g. 24), then do 24 in as few sets as possible e.g. if you were aiming for 3x8 you might do 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2 in your first workout and gradually work up. Alternatively just finish any sets with negatives if you can't do full reps e.g. if you're going for 3x8 you might do 8, 6 +2 negatives, 5 +3 negatives and work up. If your numbers are really low you could do that but also start by reversing the sets and reps - start doing 8 sets of 3 (rather than 3 sets of 8) and finishing them with negatives, then when you can do 8x3 full reps try 7x4 etc.

That is what I do. I think that might explain the squat this week because the week before last I remember pushing my self feeling sick after doing 10 reps with 105. Then again I should have recovered last week as it was a de load week.

Pick your battles :tongue:

I've seen a few quotes saying train for your strength not test it or words to that effect and I suppose that is what it means. But the inner bro in me wants me to do it just for curiosity and slight ego reasons. :lol:

Yeah that's one of the main philosophies of 5/3/1 - even if you haven't tested your 1RM recently, you know you've got stronger if your squat goes from 100kgx5 to 100kgx8. Eventually you should hit new 1RMs during your training anyway so it really shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks I'll have a read when I get some time. I see at least you made a little progress. I've been on this programme for about two months and feel I'm making good progress albeit slightly slow but progress nonetheless. So I'm happy and going to stick with it for the time being.

Slow progress is better than no progress :smile:
Apologies for missing blog entry for Tuesday.

Tuesday deadlift 23/9/14 (Favourite day):
105x1x3
110x1x3
122.5x1x9

Thursday Bench 25/9/14:
55x1x3
60x1x3
62.5x1x4 (Felt I had one more in me, but really wasn't confident in my spotter, prick was staring at some guys ass when he was suppose to be spotting me)

Starting to feel a little better over the course of the week, still not 100% though. Although my Hamilton cap that I've been waiting weeks for arrived today which was good. Didn't do much just lectures, back to the grind.

Need to start organising my day. Preparing my meals in advance, setting aside time for the gym instead of doing it at night, thinking in the morning but not sure if I have enough time to shower, eat, train, prepare lunch (could do this night before) before 9am.

Frustrating my timetable varies week on week so can't just create a one week plan and repeat.

Still need to eat, cooking my usual chicken pasta as I write.

Looking forward to squat tomorrow doing 102.5.

Next week is going to be a Sunday,Monday, Wednesday, Thursday split. As I'm going home on Friday and don't want to pay a weeks gym fee to workout for a day. Ain't nobody got money fo dat.
Apologies for lack of updates.
Second year hit me like a wrecking ball. Got diagnosed with major depression a couple of weeks ago and got prescribed some fluoxetine. Which is surprisingly helping me sleep better despite one of the side effects being insomnia. Anti-depressants are helping a lot, and I finally feel normal.
I kept up with my workouts and diet (despite having no appetite) whilst going through it and the amount it has helped is unbelievable.

So todays workout:
3 Rep week
Military Press: TM=47.5

32.5x1x3
37.5x1x3
42.5x1x6 (PB)

Then did 5x10 at 50% of TM, and 5x10 on Lat pull downs.

Feeling great about the 42.5 lift. Looking back on my lifts I was on about 37.5 for 5 reps when I finished with the SS program. Might be a little slow progress but progress at least not to mention it is military press which I find the hardest to increase on.

Decided to bite the bullet and applied for the meet at Cambridge in December so if anyone is coming down, to watch/compete let me know it will be nice to meet some new people.
Original post by TSA
Second year hit me like a wrecking ball. Got diagnosed with major depression a couple of weeks ago and got prescribed some fluoxetine. Which is surprisingly helping me sleep better despite one of the side effects being insomnia. Anti-depressants are helping a lot, and I finally feel normal.
I kept up with my workouts and diet (despite having no appetite) whilst going through it and the amount it has helped is unbelievable.

So todays workout:
3 Rep week

32.5x1x3
37.5x1x3
42.5x1x6 (PB)

Feeling great about the 42.5 lift. Looking back on my lifts I was on about 37.5 for 5 reps when I finished with the SS program. Might be a little slow progress but progress at least not to mention it is military press which I find the hardest to increase on.

Decided to bite the bullet and applied for the meet at Cambridge in December so if anyone is coming down, to watch/compete let me know it will be nice to meet some new people.

Nice pressing! Glad you're on the mend as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA

So todays workout:
3 Rep week

32.5x1x3
37.5x1x3
42.5x1x6 (PB)

I am probably going to come and watch up in Cambridge. Depends if I can blag a lift up.

Good job on going to the doctor about the depression. I know lots of people that suffer in silence. Prozac is a hell of a drug but be careful with the suicidal thoughts side effects of SSRIs in young adults.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the positive comments, one of the worsts parts about it was you constantly try to convince yourself it's just a few bad days/weeks/months and end up putting off going to the doctor. Acceptance is probably the hardest part to overcome.
And yeah I read about the suicidal and self harm thought side effects of prozac, which I did experience in the first few days of taking it, told my girlfriend to stay over for a few days to keep watch. Which helped.
Anyway back to training. Fell ill on Tuesday which was suppose to be my usual DL day, standard cold, sore throat, fever, headache, blocked nose and nausea. Had breakfast and threw it up, so breakfast ended up being some Lemsip, went in to uni, had a group presentation and lab so didn't have much of a choice. Powered through the day with water and energy drinks. Got home manage to eat some supermarket pizza and called it a day. So diet and general feeling was crap on Tuesday but got some good rest
Today. Still feel a bit ill, remnants of a stuffy nose and bit of a sore throat but on the whole feeling better. Had breakfast oats, whole milk and eggs, went to lectures, had a placement, ate and just got back from the gym. So a pretty standard day today.
3 Rep week
Deadlift: TM=132.5

92.5x1x3
105x1x3
120x1x12 (PB)

Then did 5x10 at seated leg raises

Thinking of upping the deadlift training max by 5kg as oppose to 2.5kg next cycle. As I think the reps I'm achieving is a little too high for my liking.

So it was a surprisingly good day today, was expecting a lot worse due to Tuesdays eating (or lack of) but I guess the positive mentality helped me. Also got told today that Pizza Hut want me in for a trial shift on saturday so financially I'm looking good. Maybe afford those Adipowers I've been drooling over in a few weeks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TSA
Thanks for the positive comments, one of the worsts parts about it was you constantly try to convince yourself it's just a few bad days/weeks/months and end up putting off going to the doctor. Acceptance is probably the hardest part to overcome.
And yeah I read about the suicidal and self harm thought side effects of prozac, which I did experience in the first few days of taking it, told my girlfriend to stay over for a few days to keep watch. Which helped.
Anyway back to training. Fell ill on Tuesday which was suppose to be my usual DL day, standard cold, sore throat, fever, headache, blocked nose and nausea. Had breakfast and threw it up, so breakfast ended up being some Lemsip, went in to uni, had a group presentation and lab so didn't have much of a choice. Powered through the day with water and energy drinks. Got home manage to eat some supermarket pizza and called it a day. So diet and general feeling was crap on Tuesday but got some good rest
Today. Still feel a bit ill, remnants of a stuffy nose and bit of a sore throat but on the whole feeling better. Had breakfast oats, whole milk and eggs, went to lectures, had a placement, ate and just got back from the gym. So a pretty standard day today.
3 Rep week
Deadlift: TM=132.5

92.5x1x3
105x1x3
120x1x12 (PB)

Then did 5x10 at seated leg raises

Thinking of upping the deadlift training max by 5kg as oppose to 2.5kg next cycle. As I think the reps I'm achieving is a little too high for my liking.

So it was a surprisingly good day today, was expecting a lot worse due to Tuesdays eating (or lack of) but I guess the positive mentality helped me. Also got told today that Pizza Hut want me in for a trial shift on saturday so financially I'm looking good. Maybe afford those Adipowers I've been drooling over in a few weeks.

12 reps on 3+ days is a little bit high Yea. Lol. Up it by 5kg for sure. Maybe deadlift up by 7.5...

Good to hear it's looking up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
12 reps on 3+ days is a little bit high Yea. Lol. Up it by 5kg for sure. Maybe deadlift up by 7.5...

Good to hear it's looking up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Thinking of doing the same with squat got 11 reps at 100 on 3+ week. Might increase by 5 on that too.

Most likely I'll be increasing by 5kg, gotta see how next week goes on the 5/3/1 week.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a good bench day. Last week was terrible couldn't count it as the spotter I asked touched the bar on every rep, without even giving me the opportunity to lift.:rolleyes: But I'm training with a friend tomorrow that I'll make sure to brief on spotting so that he doesn't come in too early.
Last week

Thursday
Bench TM 72.5

50 x 1 x 3
57.5 x 1 x3
65 x 1 x 4

Friday
Squat TM 117.5
70 x 1 x 3
95 x 1 x 3
105 x 1 x 5

Disappointed in the squat, just had a crap day. There was no reason to it, it was just one of them days, where you're just like meh. I didn't even do anything after that warmed up, got 105 for 5 and got out.

Weekend eating was good.
Monday diet was okay but could have been better, yesterday was a mess, I had a placement 1.5 hours away so had half a breakfast because I overslept, had half a lunch because I didn't get much of a lunch break and that's all I ate that day. Set off for the placement at 7am and got home at midnight (Goddamn unreliable train service). Literally collapsed onto my sofa and fell asleep when I got back.

So didn't go to the gym monday or tuesday unfortunately. Managed to get to the gym today but I think I felt the effects of monday and tuesday and only managed

5/3/1 week
Wednesday
Military Press TM 47.5
35 x 1 x 5
40 x 1 x 3
45 x 1 x 3

Then did the BBB part of the programme.

Wanted 4 reps as a minimum today so I'm pretty disappointed with that, but diet today should be decent. Also week feels weird as I normally press on Monday and normally train, mon, tues, thurs and friday. But due to circumstances will be training Wed, thurs, Sat and Sunday. Then go back on monday again, shouldn't be too much of an issue as it's only a deload next week.

Been feeling decent despite a few ****ty days here and there.

So overall bad few days. Mainly due to lack of time management and organisation with uni work. So need to get on top of that ASAP as it's affecting my training. It's stuff like cooking, shopping, ironing and eating that takes up so much valuable time. But will be pushing it for the rest of the week as it is 531 week, try to get organise with the uni work on the deload week and the rest of the week and then next cycle should start afresh.

Also need to buy a new workout log book as mine is finished so I'm writing on bits of paper and misplacing them constantly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Deadlift today.

Diet has been good today, but have had a pulsing headache since mid-afternoon, also been feeling a bit of nausea and dizziness. I think these may be side effects of my medicine though. I ended up just going to the gym. Just to get a session in, turned out to be pretty decent.

100x1x5
112.5x1x3
125x1x11

Will be increasing training max by 5kg next cycle.
Original post by TSA
Deadlift today.

Diet has been good today, but have had a pulsing headache since mid-afternoon, also been feeling a bit of nausea and dizziness. I think these may be side effects of my medicine though. I ended up just going to the gym. Just to get a session in, turned out to be pretty decent.

100x1x5
112.5x1x3
125x1x11

Will be increasing training max by 5kg next cycle.

**** 5kg

up it by like 10kg++

11 reps on your 1+ set lol...
My advice would be to keep training max constant and hit dat dere volume, use joker sets if you want to do some lower rep stuff too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With your deadlifts, do you go to a dead stop between each rep?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
With your deadlifts, do you go to a dead stop between each rep?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I come to a dead stop, make sure my form is correct and then lift, between each rep.
I benched on Saturday.
TM= 72.5

55X1X5
60X1X3
67.5X1x2

Last rep was a very very slow grinder, made sure I had a good spotter so he didn't come in or touch the bar unnecessarily and managed to lock out.

I didn't managed to get to the gym on Sunday as I woke up late, and wasn't feeling a 100%.

So I squatted today instead.

Monday TM= 117.5
Squat

87.5x1x5
100x1x3
112.5x1x8

Was struggling for 3 reps at 112.5 when I decided to change from SS. So the progress feels good.

Rest of the week is a well deserved de-load week. Diet has been great past few days, definitely feel stronger, and been getting some compliments from course mates that I look good with the extra mass which is always good. Going to way myself tomorrow morning.
I decided to make the big decision to stop taking my prozac as despite it helping to remove that low feeling it also removed the excitement from my life. That feeling you get before you go to the gym, that high was non-existent, which I hated, as the gym is what gets me through the day kind of like a reward. Been feeling crappy but not as bad as before so definitely on the road to recovery. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so I'll be able to get a professional opinion on it.

Also anybody know the pros and cons of having a de-load week vs having just a week of rest like no lifting at all.
Stay focused with the training. I've had depression on and off for about 8 years; never medicated, and am doing a fair bit better now.
Training has definitely helped in motivation
Ahhh deload week.
Tuesday Military Press TM=47.5

20x2x5
22.5x1x5
27.5x1x5

15x5x10

Literally was in and out in 10/15 minutes. Looking forward to an easy week this week, just recovering, eating and sleeping.
Weighed myself today 171lb so not to bad. I must have lost about 10lb since about August, but strength has been increasing so probably just some fat.
Didn't up date much last week as it was de-load week and pretty boring.

Decided to go for my first competition on Saturday. So will just be going for prescribed reps this weeks, so 5 reps at working set.
It's at Leicester uni so if anyone is there it will be nice to meet some people from here if they're coming down to spectate or compete.

The numbers I'm hoping to go for are.

Squat 110, 120, 130 (or 135 depending on how I feel) 140
Bench 60, 65, 70 70
Deadlift 120, 140, 155 (or 150/160 depending on how I feel) 160

The red numbers are my theoretical max lifts.
The bold numbers are lifts I've done in training.

Todays workout

Military Press TM=50
Monday

30x1x5
25x1x5
40x1x5

25 x 5 x 10

Lat pull downs
Diet has been perfect over the past few days, sleeping is improving so on the whole feeling pretty decent.
sick, can't wait to see what happens.
Tuesday Deadlift
TM 137.5 (5kg increase)

82.5 x 1 x 5
97.5 x 1 x 5
110 x 1 x 5

Felt a little heavier than expected but that's normal for me after a deload week. Went for prescribed reps, as I don't want to go all out due to competition on Saturday. Diet has been good. Went in the morning after breakfast today, was very quiet, not much atmosphere.
Still having problems with my medicine, when I take it, I don't get the low feeling but I can't get excited for things like the gym either. Whereas when I do take it, I can get pretty down but get this excitement feeling when I go to the gym that I can translate the negative feelings into beast sessions. Apparently this feeling should subside after a few weeks on it but not being able to get excited about the gym is a pretty big blow.

Also as the competition is on Saturday and I normally train Mon,Tue,Thur,Fri. I'm thinking if it would be a better idea to do Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur and take Friday off, instead of Wednesday.

Quick Reply

Latest