The Student Room Group

i got a 2.2 and feel like a complete failure in life

firstly i would like to apologise for the long post, but i feel so helpless and feel i have no one i can talk to.
I recently graduated in social policy with a 2.2. when i found out my results i could not stop crying. The majority of my friends got 2.1's and i feel ashamed and worthless. I was sitting on a 2.1 all year, however my dissertation (which i thought was ok, actually turned out to be utter useless) and poor marks in an exam left me sitting on an average of 57.5...a 2.2. I have felt so down and depressed since i heard the news. I didn't leave the house for days. I tell no one what i got in my degree because i am so ashamed. I feel like the past 3 years at university have been a complete waste of time. I constantly think on a daily basis that my life is going no where. I feel like there is no point in even trying anymore because i always seem to fail.

I have always wanted to do a graduate degree in social work, however i have no chance of getting into a masters degree, let alone ever becoming a social worker with a 2.2. My older sister told me that a 2.2 is worthless, and my mum didn't even acknowledge the fact that i got a degree. I feel like i have let my family down and i don't know what i am going to do for the rest of my life. I am 22 and in a spiral of depression. I never ever believed that i would get so worked up over it, but i can't control how i feel. Does anyone have any advice as to how i can get over these feelings of depression? or will i ever move on from this?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A piece of paper can not decide your future!
Reply 2
With that kind of mentality you won't get anywhere no matter what you graduate with. There are people who came to this country with a few pounds in their pocket and became millionaires. It's all about hard work and dedication. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and being so negative.
Original post by sadgirl24/7

Yes it can
Original post by aliman65
Yes it can

this is your opinion but not a fact
Some teaching courses let you on with a 2:2, there's always that?
Original post by lisam191
firstly i would like to apologise for the long post, but i feel so helpless and feel i have no one i can talk to.
I recently graduated in social policy with a 2.2. when i found out my results i could not stop crying. The majority of my friends got 2.1's and i feel ashamed and worthless. I was sitting on a 2.1 all year, however my dissertation (which i thought was ok, actually turned out to be utter useless) and poor marks in an exam left me sitting on an average of 57.5...a 2.2. I have felt so down and depressed since i heard the news. I didn't leave the house for days. I tell no one what i got in my degree because i am so ashamed. I feel like the past 3 years at university have been a complete waste of time. I constantly think on a daily basis that my life is going no where. I feel like there is no point in even trying anymore because i always seem to fail.

I have always wanted to do a graduate degree in social work, however i have no chance of getting into a masters degree, let alone ever becoming a social worker with a 2.2. My older sister told me that a 2.2 is worthless, and my mum didn't even acknowledge the fact that i got a degree. I feel like i have let my family down and i don't know what i am going to do for the rest of my life. I am 22 and in a spiral of depression. I never ever believed that i would get so worked up over it, but i can't control how i feel. Does anyone have any advice as to how i can get over these feelings of depression? or will i ever move on from this?

You say that bit in the bold with such certainty! :frown: There are many people that graduate with 2.2, and whilst you could've done better, that is the situation now and you can still improve. What is the other option? Feel sorry for yourself and... do nothing? Nope. You did not waste your 3 years, you still have the knowledge with you and combine that with lots of experience within your field, you can go far.

I've had a little look online for 'social work' masters and there are quite a few unis that accept 2.2. So if you really want masters, get in and get a good mark in that and in future 2.2 may be overlooked if you have a great masters. If you don't want masters, then do some work experience or whatever you need to do to get what you want. Good luck!

It's understandable that you feel sad for few moments... but try not to dwell on it and find ways to move forward. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by sadgirl24/7

Piece of papers = exams.

exams = qualifications

qualifications = job application

job application = job

job = career

career = future

more than just a piece of paper. But I agree with what you really mean, all of the above aren't necessary for a stable future - but it's the most common way.
Reply 8
I do agree that feeling sorry for myself is not helping the situation. I am fully aware of that. However i think that until you are in the situation it is very difficult to see any positives. I am also fully aware that many people have succeeded in life without a degree. My dad for example has done well for himself without ever having a degree, but it was a completely different line of work (he worked his way up through the construction industry and obviously did not need a degree). He is also 60 years of age, and competition nowadays is much tougher than it was when my parents were young.
I am the sort of person that when i do fail at something, i really tend to dwell on it. Its just hard to think positive when you feel like your life is going nowhere.
However i do appreciate all honest and helpful responses. Thank you.
Reply 9

You've bought into the TSR rectum search too much.

Firstly you can do a Masters with a 2'2, you just won;t be at Oxbridge. Secondly more people get 2'2 degrees than get Firsts or Thirds.

Stop being depressed and listening to the types of people who think you fail in life if you don't get 10A grades and an Oxbridge First. You got a near average grade and while you may be forced to change your plans a little, your hardly going to be on the dole when your 40 because of it and there's every chance you can get some kind of a job in your chosen field.
Original post by Dylann
Piece of papers = exams.

exams = qualifications

job application = job

job = career

career = future

more than just a piece of paper. But I agree with what you really mean, all of the above aren't necessary for a stable future - but it's the most common way.

i completly agree with you
It is such a shame you missed out on a 2:1 by 2.5% :frown:

Is there any way that you can retake a module? I think you would have to pay a module fee
I do agree that feeling sorry for myself is not helping the situation. I am fully aware of that. However i think that until you are in the situation it is very difficult to see any positives. I am also fully aware that many people have succeeded in life without a degree. My dad for example has done well for himself without ever having a degree, but it was a completely different line of work (he worked his way up through the construction industry and obviously did not need a degree). He is also 60 years of age, and competition nowadays is much tougher than it was when my parents were young.
I am the sort of person that when i do fail at something, i really tend to dwell on it. Its just hard to think positive when you feel like your life is going nowhere.
However i do appreciate all honest and helpful responses. Thank you.

I've been in that situation and whilst it's not nice by any means, it's not all doom and gloom either! Britain is crying out for good social workers and there must be ways in for you. It might just take a bit longer to get where you wanna be, that all. Read SomeStudent's post to you - s/he has been kind enough to look into it for you and has demonstrated that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Hugs from here! :hugs:
Reply 13
Oh dear.

With that being said, the bad part isn't the 2:2. It's the course you did ffs.
Reply 14
Original post by Dylann
Piece of papers = exams.

exams = qualifications

job application = job

job = career

career = future

No, there are hundreds or routes to a stable future.
And stop being so simplistic and shuttered in your attitude.
Reply 15
Original post by Distraught247
It is such a shame you missed out on a 2:1 by 2.5% :frown:

Is there any way that you can retake a module? I think you would have to pay a module fee

I'm afraid degrees don't work like that. Your final result is what you have and it can't be changed.

Having said that, a 2:2 is fine for many Social Work Masters courses, as has been said above. OP - The UK is desperate for good social workers and once you're trained and get into the job, an undergrad degree result will be irrelevant. Do your research, get onto the Masters and get on with the life you want.
Reply 16
Original post by SomeStudent
You say that bit in the bold with such certainty! :frown: There are many people that graduate with 2.2, and whilst you could've done better, that is the situation now and you can still improve. What is the other option? Feel sorry for yourself and... do nothing? Nope. You did not waste your 3 years, you still have the knowledge with you and combine that with lots of experience within your field, you can go far.

I've had a little look online for 'social work' masters and there are quite a few unis that accept 2.2. So if you really want masters, get in and get a good mark in that and in future 2.2 may be overlooked if you have a great masters. If you don't want masters, then do some work experience or whatever you need to do to get what you want. Good luck!

It's understandable that you feel sad for few moments... but try not to dwell on it and find ways to move forward. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I know i sound like such a miserable person but it's just hard to stay positive sometimes. To be honest i don't care if was going to take me another 10 years to become a social worker, it's just something i really want to do. A few of my classmates have applied for masters next year and i just felt so jealous. I genuinely didn't think a 2.2 would get me into a masters. I have googled it now and i do see it is possible, it's going to be MUCH harder though :frown:.
I have already booked tickets to travel for a year and see the world (spur of the moment decision i took in a depressed state lol) so hopefully i can come back much happier and ready to focus on hopefully applying to courses and starting some kind of future.
Thanks again for the help.
Reply 17
Original post by Klix88
I'm afraid degrees don't work like that. Your final result is what you have and it can't be changed.

Having said that, a 2:2 is fine for many Social Work Masters courses, as has been said above. OP - The UK is desperate for good social workers and once you're trained and get into the job, an undergrad degree result will be irrelevant. Do your research, get onto the Masters and get on with the life you want.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I feel like i can't talk about any of this to my friends and family because i'm to ashamed. But the positive advice is really helpful. Hopefully someday i'll get to do what i want to do, even if i am 30 lol :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by Zame
No, there are hundreds or routes to a stable future.
And stop being so simplistic and shuttered in your attitude.

I'm being simplistic because the reply I was replying to was simplistic. I wasn't replying to the original post. And yes there are of course hundreds of ways, but read what I said:

the most common way

I didn't write "this is an exhaustive list of ways of obtaining a stable future".

I'd also like to argue that qualifications are by far the most common way to a stable future - maybe not always directly, but certainly a heavy indirect influence. Experience is another way, but most experience derives from some sort of qualification, whether it be GCSE, a-level or many other qualifications. I'm putting heavy emphasis on qualification here because the original post pertains to a qualification.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19

Try not to dwell on it too much hun. There is always a way with these things. You got a degree. Be happy with yourself, you don't need somebody else to be proud of you. Be proud of yourself. I'm only now applying for uni for next year and my dad thinks it's a waste of effort and time because I'm 23 and haven't gone earlier. But that isn't going to effect me yuh know. I'm sure you can still do a masters somewhere some how. Sure it'll take time until you achieve where you want to be but it'll be worth it. Just need to stop and think "Right, this is what I'm going to do next" just work hard.

Latest