The Student Room Group

Medicine International Applicants 2015 Entry

Hi guys!

As you may know, applying to medical school as an international student is very tough, especially since we have limited spaces to compete for and aren't able to go to any of the open days. So I thought I could make this thread a network for all those international applicants out there who aspire to be doctors.

Share your stats (A levels/IB, GCSE, ukcat, BMAT, etc.) and which unis you've applied to. Use the relevant stats for each uni (eg. for Barts list your UCAS tariff, for Leicester list your overall score, etc..).

Most importantly, this is a place to ask questions and revert to when you panic :smile:

My stats:

IB (achieved): 39 points (=589 UCAS tariff points)
Ukcat: 2870
IGCSEs: 1A*7As1B

Applying to Manchester, Bart's, Sheffield and Liverpool.

Good luck everyone :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, what was your Extended Essay topic? Where did you fing information/ research for it? I will be IB next year and I am already stressed. Thank you! Fingers crossed for you!
Reply 2
Original post by the_queen
Hi, what was your Extended Essay topic? Where did you fing information/ research for it? I will be IB next year and I am already stressed. Thank you! Fingers crossed for you!

Um hi haha. My EE was on the concept of satire in American Psycho for English. I got a B on it though...it was my tok that saved me with an A. You will find everything you need online. Everything is on the Internet.
Hi fellow international applicant !!!
Im from Canada so I use my OSSD for academics, i had a (93% average)
UKCAT- 2795

I applied to
SGUL
QUB
Leicester (61.5 points)
Glasgow

Good luck to everyone !!
Reply 4
Original post by momoshakeel
UKCAT- 2795

I applied to
SGUL
QUB
Leicester (61.5 points)
Glasgow

Good luck to everyone !!

Good luck!
Reply 5
SGUL
QUB
Leicester (61.5 points)
Glasgow

Good luck to everyone !!

Original post by Inglisred
Hi guys!

Applying to Manchester, Bart's, Sheffield and Liverpool.

Good luck everyone :biggrin:

Hi guys! I am from Malaysia.
My stats are the following:

Spoiler

I have applied to:
Cambridge
Imperial
Birmingham
Cardiff
Fifth choice: biochemistry and management in Imperial

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 6
Original post by JackTeh96
Hi guys! I am from Malaysia.
My stats are the following:

Spoiler

I have applied to:
Cambridge
Imperial
Birmingham
Cardiff
Fifth choice: biochemistry and management in Imperial

Good luck to everyone!

Wow! Impressive grades. Good luck with the bmat :smile:
Reply 7
UKCAT- 2795

I applied to
SGUL
QUB
Leicester (61.5 points)
Glasgow

Good luck to everyone !!

Hi again.

Do you know anything about the Canadian medical school system? I know medicine is a postgrad degree over there, but do they allow international students to study medicine? The USA's medical education system is VERY nationalised, as the majority of unis won't accept internationals. Is this the case in Canada?
Hi everyone!

International student from Bangladesh here! My stats are:

GCE O Levels: 10 A*s, 2 distinctions
AS level: AAAAA (Bio, Chem, Physics, Math, Economics )
A2 prediction: A*A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: Not given

I've applied to,
Oxford
Imperial
Bristol
Birmingham
KCL: Pharmacology and Molecular Genetics

I keep checking my email/track every few hours even though I know that logically, they haven't had enough time to make a decision. e.e
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by OurLadyBonbon
Hi everyone!

International student from Bangladesh here! My stats are:

GCE O Levels: 10 A*s, 2 distinctions
AS level: AAAAA (Bio, Chem, Physics, Math, Economics )
A2 prediction: A*A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: Not given

I've applied to,
Oxford
Imperial
Bristol
Birmingham
KCL: Pharmacology and Molecular Genetics

I keep checking my email/track every few hours even though I know that logically, they haven't had enough time to make a decision. e.e

Haha I know what you mean. I need to just leave ucas alone for a month or two :frown: focus on my other applications. Have you applied for medicine to other countries as well?
Haha I know what you mean. I need to just leave ucas alone for a month or two :frown: focus on my other applications. Have you applied for medicine to other countries as well?

It's so nerve wracking! I'll be lucky if I can exercise enough self control to leave UCAS alone for half a week. :P
I'm applying to Canada and the US and Medicine is a graduate degree in both places, so it's pre-med/Biochem there. My school only allows you to submit ten applications per applicant, in total, so picking a well balanced set of colleges, working on essays, A2 is becoming a HUGE pain. ._.

How about you? Applying anywhere else? (:
Reply 11
It's so nerve wracking! I'll be lucky if I can exercise enough self control to leave UCAS alone for half a week. :P
I'm applying to Canada and the US and Medicine is a graduate degree in both places, so it's pre-med/Biochem there. My school only allows you to submit ten applications per applicant, in total, so picking a well balanced set of colleges, working on essays, A2 is becoming a HUGE pain. ._.

How about you? Applying anywhere else? (:

Yes. Canada for sure, maybe the US (depending on my SAT score), Malaysia, Singapore and Dubai (as my major back up in case all fails)
Yes. Canada for sure, maybe the US (depending on my SAT score), Malaysia, Singapore and Dubai (as my major back up in case all fails)

Where in Canada?

Good luck!
Reply 13
Where in Canada?

Good luck!

I'm planning McGill, U of T, UBC, McMaster, Waterloo and U of Alberta. Wbu?
I'm planning McGill, U of T, UBC, McMaster, Waterloo and U of Alberta. Wbu?

UofT, McGill, UBC, McMasters probably.
With Canadian Med schools its the same as Uk they have a certain quota as to how many international students they can allow. They do accept internationals however, so best of luck with the application. Ontario based medical schools are very very competitive for home students let alone internationals. Most schools have a 2% acceptance rate for the number of applications.
Reply 16
With Canadian Med schools its the same as Uk they have a certain quota as to how many international students they can allow. They do accept internationals however, so best of luck with the application. Ontario based medical schools are very very competitive for home students let alone internationals. Most schools have a 2% acceptance rate for the number of applications.

Alright. Thank you for the info. Hopefully I won't need to go through grad route ever :smile:

Canada is a lovely place though.
Alright. Thank you for the info. Hopefully I won't need to go through grad route ever :smile:

Canada is a lovely place though.

Yea 100% I love Canada!!!! The schools are wonderful and everyone there wants you to succeed. If you get accepted, I can say with confidence that you will love your time here :smile:.
Reply 18
Anyone applied to Barts? If so what are your ucas tariff and ukcat score?
Reply 19
Hey there! I've just started my A-levels in July and still getting my head around how UCAS applications work out (from Malaysia) .

My igcse equivalent stats are 10As -8A*, 2A and I'm taking my AS this coming may/June .

Thing is, I'm really curious how you guys figure out which uni to apply to, what criteria do you normally focus on other than the uni's academic/ukcat benchmarks. For example, since we're international students, we'd need to focus international students quota perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending