The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hiya! :hi:

Welcome to MHSS! :h: I'm really sorry to hear your mum's cancer is terminal. I can't imagine what that must feel like :frown:

Are you and your dad in contact with any Macmillan nurses or people who might be able to support you two a bit with the emotional side of things? It sounds like a great strain on you both, as one would of course expect.

Have you considered going to your GP and mentioning these symptoms to him or her? Does your GP know the family situation and how things are at home? I would hope your GP would be keeping an eye on you! :console:

I'm not, but my Dad is.
The issue with the GP is that if I register here at uni, I get removed from the register at my family practice back home. I'm not sure if you can go to a walk in centre for these kind of things?
Original post by PandaWho
Have you thought about interupting your studies?
This means you can be at home for the year and do your 3rd year starting next september?
You could also think about dropping down to part time.

You cant let your health be affected, you have to find the balance and think whats best for YOU

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in fourth year. My mum has said that she doesn't want me to stop going to uni. So it's a hard one...
So Zopi kinda nocked me out, but made me sleep till half 2 :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: Guess you must have needed that sleep though! :tongue:

Original post by ScaryScience
got to that pathetic stage where I cant hold it together in public. cried all the way round town today. couldn't even give a **** tbh. im just too pathetic

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Original post by Odd socks
Walked past ex friend again today earlier, so awkward and scary

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Hope you're ok. :smile:

Original post by Anonymous #2

Hope you're ok!

I'm good thanks, just at home working on my Christmas presents. :smile:

Original post by TeaLeaves93
Hey guys :awesome:
I'm new here.....!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago and it is now terminal. She is 100% dependent and is in a wheelchair. I'm in my final year at university and I'm really, really struggling to keep up with everything. I'm going home every tuesday so that my dad can get out the house and vent, work or whatever. Obviously it's taking a massive toll on my uni work etc and I'm really worried :frown: I've been feeling really down for about 6 months now and it is starting to take over me. I'm tired all the time because I can't switch my brain off at night and stop thinking about everything. I feel sad and negative all the time, anti social, sad and isolated all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? :frown:

Hey, welcome to the society. :smile:

Sorry to hear about your mum - I hope she's not suffering too badly, I know it's devastating when someone close to you gets that kind of diagnosis. :frown:

Have you spoken to your uni about what's been going on? It might be best for you to take some time off for a while, or go part-time. I took two years off from uni because of depression, and I'm really glad I did, otherwise I just wouldn't have finished uni at all. I then went back and studied part-time, and graduated last year. If there's anything you want to know about these options then go ahead and ask. :smile:

Also, make sure you're taking care of yourself as well as your family! Isolating yourself is never good, and although obviously it's no good pretending life is all sunshine and roses right now, you've got to allow yourself time to enjoy yourself or at least just have a rest. :hugs:
I'm not, but my Dad is.
The issue with the GP is that if I register here at uni, I get removed from the register at my family practice back home. I'm not sure if you can go to a walk in centre for these kind of things?

Ah I see about the whole registering thing. You would still be able to go to your family practice back home though - you'd just have to sign a temporary patient form each time you go back and wanna see someone there (which is faff, but at least you can do that).

:hugs:
Original post by superwolf
:console: Guess you must have needed that sleep though! :tongue:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:hugs: Hope you're ok. :smile:

I'm good thanks, just at home working on my Christmas presents. :smile:

Hey, welcome to the society. :smile:

Sorry to hear about your mum - I hope she's not suffering too badly, I know it's devastating when someone close to you gets that kind of diagnosis. :frown:

Have you spoken to your uni about what's been going on? It might be best for you to take some time off for a while, or go part-time. I took two years off from uni because of depression, and I'm really glad I did, otherwise I just wouldn't have finished uni at all. I then went back and studied part-time, and graduated last year. If there's anything you want to know about these options then go ahead and ask. :smile:

Also, make sure you're taking care of yourself as well as your family! Isolating yourself is never good, and although obviously it's no good pretending life is all sunshine and roses right now, you've got to allow yourself time to enjoy yourself or at least just have a rest. :hugs:

Yes, and I've got another meeting with my welfare tutor tomorrow morning to see how I'm getting on, so i will tell him how I've been feeling. I've spoken to them about taking time off and it has to be a year, unfortunately. >_<
Yes, and I've got another meeting with my welfare tutor tomorrow morning to see how I'm getting on, so i will tell him how I've been feeling. I've spoken to them about taking time off and it has to be a year, unfortunately. >_<

Glad that you're communicating with your uni, I find that the more open and honest you are with them, the more they'll be able to help you. :smile:

Would you consider going part-time then, if that's an option? It'd free up a lot more time to spend with your family, and if you find any one module particularly difficult or stressful then you can simply leave it till next year.
I'm in fourth year. My mum has said that she doesn't want me to stop going to uni. So it's a hard one...

I understand its tough if your mum has said that, but the way i see it is if the situation is affecting your studies or health (which its affecting both) then it has to be your choice. How about meeting your mum half way and going part time, so your still at uni but you dont have the full pressure. Yes it will mean taking 2 years but it has to be to benfit you.

I ended up failing my third year the first time around as i was too stubborn to ask for help, and ended up finishing it part time, (id failed dissertation and had to do a placement module so did 3 modules in one year as apposed to 6) and ended up passing, and will be graduating at the end of the month!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So Zopi kinda nocked me out, but made me sleep till half 2 :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You slept though which is good! :biggrin:

got to that pathetic stage where I cant hold it together in public. cried all the way round town today. couldn't even give a **** tbh. im just too pathetic

:jumphug:

Passed out in bed for two hours. Couldn't get out of bed again til now. Bang goes my productive day :sad:

:console: Do you feel any better now? Also, guess what I just got told I looked like (and yes, it was as random as it sounds)? :eek:

Hey guys :awesome:
I'm new here.....!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago and it is now terminal. She is 100% dependent and is in a wheelchair. I'm in my final year at university and I'm really, really struggling to keep up with everything. I'm going home every tuesday so that my dad can get out the house and vent, work or whatever. Obviously it's taking a massive toll on my uni work etc and I'm really worried :frown: I've been feeling really down for about 6 months now and it is starting to take over me. I'm tired all the time because I can't switch my brain off at night and stop thinking about everything. I feel sad and negative all the time, anti social, sad and isolated all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? :frown:

That's awful, I'm so sorry for you :frown: As others have said, have you considered going part-time or taking a year out? I know it would be difficult particularly with your mum having said that you shouldn't, but if it sounds like it would make things a lot easier for both you and your dad and that in turn will probably help your mum to see that you're coping, or at least not struggling as much. As for the last part, I know exactly what you mean, I do it frequently! Have you tried listening to music or doing something to distract yourself? I know I can't actually go to sleep with music on (although some people do), but it does help to calm me down and stop me thinking about things so that I might be able to go to sleep when I turn it off :hugs:
Original post by furryface12

:console: Do you feel any better now? Also, guess what I just got told I looked like (and yes, it was as random as it sounds)? :eek:

Feeling a bit better now. Just so behind on reading already, urgh :emo:

I've no idea. Gimme a clue? :ninja:
Having a laptop to make notes on slides in lectures is helping so much! Will be even better when j have my recording equipment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
so nervous about tomorrow.

everything about it makes me want to scream.

why, why does my school make me do this stupid interview thing. i dont even have a cv.
:bawling:

i'm good thanks, just at home working on my christmas presents. :smile:

christmas?!

Christmas?

Edit: Why won't TSR let me capitalise whole words? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Feeling a bit better now. Just so behind on reading already, urgh :emo:

I've no idea. Gimme a clue? :ninja:

Good :smile: Ahh, reading... I don't envy you there, I can barely even manage a news article at the minute, my concentration is terrible! Do you know which bits are more important than others/might actually be useful to you so you can focus on them?

Can't think of a clue so I'll just have to tell you :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by guitaristemily

why, why does my school make me do this stupid interview thing. i dont even have a cv.

Good luck! Maybe try and prepare for it as well as you can so you're less likely to be thrown when you're in there? If it's for coming back to sixth form or something, at least they know what you're like already so it hopefully shouldn't matter too much if it doesn't go as well as you hoped :hugs:
:bawling:

Poke me on Facebook if you need to/wanna chat. I'm reading but my phone does ping when someone messages me there :colondollar:

Good :smile: Ahh, reading... I don't envy you there, I can barely even manage a news article at the minute, my concentration is terrible! Do you know which bits are more important than others/might actually be useful to you so you can focus on them?

Can't think of a clue so I'll just have to tell you :colone:

Spoiler

Yeah, I think I know what I have to read. I'm hoping it'll be enough to please my tutor. She seems to like me and I don't want her to change her mind and decide I'm a dunce :frown:

:eek3: :ahee: :teehee: about the spoiler :tongue:

Good luck! Maybe try and prepare for it as well as you can so you're less likely to be thrown when you're in there? If it's for coming back to sixth form or something, at least they know what you're like already so it hopefully shouldn't matter too much if it doesn't go as well as you hoped :hugs:

im a young'un. im only in year 11.

they are making us do mock job interviews. with a panel. and theres more tahn 1 person on the panels, i think. they are going to ask weird questions and i dont have a cv like the rest of my year becuase of the fact mine isnt done yet and i dont even know where to start and i feel like i might have a panic attack when i get there and its scarying me completey.
Poke me on Facebook if you need to/wanna chat. I'm reading but my phone does ping when someone messages me there :colondollar:

Yeah, I think I know what I have to read. I'm hoping it'll be enough to please my tutor. She seems to like me and I don't want her to change her mind and decide I'm a dunce :frown:

:eek3: :ahee: :teehee: about the spoiler :tongue:

Would you be happy to poke me when you're done? don't want to disturb you when you're reading but could do with a chat at some point today if you're around :frown:
Original post by Anonymous #2
christmas?!

Christmas?

Edit: Why won't TSR let me capitalise whole words? :tongue:

Uh huh! It takes me a minimum of one day per present, each person is getting an average of four presents, and at least seven people are getting presents. :woo: 7 people x 4 presents x 1 day + extra lazy days = months of preparation. :tongue:
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
:console: there anyone you can ask about it at all?

:hugs: Not really, i went to try and sign on to a new GP practice today but they were full or something. Gonna try a few more tomorrow and see if i get any luck. Had a nice chat to someone from mind though, the people from Mind are always real nice. Didn't know you could go in and just chat with someone when you're feeling like death :tongue:

Original post by Odd socks
Having a laptop to make notes on slides in lectures is helping so much! Will be even better when j have my recording equipment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to hear things are looking up for you socksickle :biggrin: :hugs:

im a young'un. im only in year 11.

they are making us do mock job interviews. with a panel. and theres more tahn 1 person on the panels, i think. they are going to ask weird questions and i dont have a cv like the rest of my year becuase of the fact mine isnt done yet and i dont even know where to start and i feel like i might have a panic attack when i get there and its scarying me completey.

Do they know about your problems? If they don't they'll treat you the same as everyone else. I think most of the people in my school had work experience of some kind, which we were pretty much forced to do. Was yr10 or 11, can't quite remember.

You have any techniques or exercises to deal with your stress/anxiety?
Uh huh! It takes me a minimum of one day per present, each person is getting an average of four presents, and at least seven people are getting presents. :woo: 7 people x 4 presents x 1 day + extra lazy days = months of preparation. :tongue:

That's so thoughtful! Good luck with your present making!

Latest