The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for Japanese

Hi everyone! I'd like to study Japanese at Manchester university (I was informed Japanese studies isn't as good as Japanese, but you learn the language on this particular course) but I'm pretty worried about securing a place. I have a GCSE grade A in German and my a-levels should reach the requirements this year, but I don't have a languages a-level. What are Manchester like with a language beginner? Is anyone else worried? :eek:
Original post by JenGreo
Hi everyone! I'd like to study Japanese at Manchester university (I was informed Japanese studies isn't as good as Japanese, but you learn the language on this particular course) but I'm pretty worried about securing a place. I have a GCSE grade A in German and my a-levels should reach the requirements this year, but I don't have a languages a-level. What are Manchester like with a language beginner? Is anyone else worried? :eek:

The website clearly states you need an A level in a modern foreign language (as well as English).

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2014/06751/japanese-studies-4-years-ba/entry-requirements/
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
The website clearly states you need an A level in a modern foreign language (as well as English).

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2014/06751/japanese-studies-4-years-ba/entry-requirements/

It says you need a minimum grade B at GCSE English language and a language. The only specification for a-levels is ABB. I'm worried about not getting in though :/
Original post by JenGreo
It says you need a minimum grade B at GCSE English language and a language. The only specification for a-levels is ABB. I'm worried about not getting in though :/

I apologise. I should read more carefully. It is rather silly to put GCSE requirements in a section headed A levels, though. Especially when it is the GCSE section too.

It sounds as if you are fine with what you offer.
Reply 4
I assume with the course being ab-intio (beginner) level and not post-a level, you aren't required to have any language a-levels. If you're applying for Japanese at post-a level then, yes, you would need a Japanese A-level (or GCSE, depending on the uni) but in this case you don't need any, and having a language (other than Japanese) wouldn't be much use for the course anyway :smile: Hope this makes sense and helps!
Reply 5
Thank you both for reassuring me :smile: I've decided to go for it :biggrin:
Reply 6
With Japanese because it is usually taught from scratch they like you to have a foreign language at GCSE to demonstrate an aptitude for foreign language study. If you've already taught yourself some beginners Japanese some universities will accept this on place of the GCSE. But your GCSE in German will be enough :biggrin: good luck with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending