The Student Room Group

Ex- IB Student (If you ever need help, just ask)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozymandias24
I'm an IB teacher, just joined the forum, and also happy to help out! I was Head of the TOK Department and also taught History. Fire away with Extended Essay / Internal Assessment / TOK Presentation / TOK Essay queries!

Hello!

I am working on my SL history Internal Assessment title. I had problems with choosing topic but once I started reading some sources about women in Weimar republic and Nazi Germany I got interested, and wanted to do Internal Assessment that revolves around that. I am thinking about research questions that go on something like:
- How was the family life of women in Weimar Republic influenced/affected with the rise of Hitler?
- What were the main goals of Nazi ideology regarding women family role in the Third Reich?
I am wondering if this questions are specific enough or are they too broad?

Thank you for your help!
Original post by shinning_star
Hello!

I am working on my SL history Internal Assessment title. I had problems with choosing topic but once I started reading some sources about women in Weimar republic and Nazi Germany I got interested, and wanted to do Internal Assessment that revolves around that. I am thinking about research questions that go on something like:
- How was the family life of women in Weimar Republic influenced/affected with the rise of Hitler?
- What were the main goals of Nazi ideology regarding women family role in the Third Reich?
I am wondering if this questions are specific enough or are they too broad?

Thank you for your help!

This is a great topic, and this sort of question often comes up on DP History Paper 2. An example from November 2011:

Compare and contrast the status and treatment of women or minorities in two authoritarian or single-party states, each chosen from a different region.

I think you need to focus your question to concentrate on either Weimar or Nazi rule, and how it impacted on women. I'm assuming you're more interested in Nazi rule (as most students tend to be) so perhaps something like:

"Were the Nazis able to achieve their policy aims with regards to women in the Third Reich?"

If you want to talk about both, you could try:

"How significant was the change in German government policy towards women between Weimar (1919-1933) and Nazi rule (1933-1945)?"

However, this is a huge question and more suitable for treatment in a History Extended Essay.

Good luck!
This is a great topic, and this sort of question often comes up on DP History Paper 2. An example from November 2011:

Compare and contrast the status and treatment of women or minorities in two authoritarian or single-party states, each chosen from a different region.

I think you need to focus your question to concentrate on either Weimar or Nazi rule, and how it impacted on women. I'm assuming you're more interested in Nazi rule (as most students tend to be) so perhaps something like:

"Were the Nazis able to achieve their policy aims with regards to women in the Third Reich?"

If you want to talk about both, you could try:

"How significant was the change in German government policy towards women between Weimar (1919-1933) and Nazi rule (1933-1945)?"

However, this is a huge question and more suitable for treatment in a History Extended Essay.

Good luck!

You're right, the second question is probably too huge. I will use the first one because it really fits my already collected sources and is easier to handle because it is more specific. I will now start to work on my Internal Assessment. I am wondering, if you could give me some more advice, if I run into some problems while writing it?

Thank you!
Sure thing!
Hi,
I'm currently year 11 and looking at sixth forms and I was thinking about doing the IB but I just need some advice as to what it is about from somebody who has done it themselves. I have a rough idea of what I want to take for it but I'm still open for options as the final entry date is in January. Thanks in advance.
Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Hey there, i currently study economics HL. Do you have any tips concerning the developing economy module and macro module?

Also any tips for maths studies and how and when you started revising for maths?
Many thanks
greg
Original post by iJoyce
I am an ex IB student, if you want to know my choice were:
-SL Math
- SL Biology
- SL History
- HL English B
- HL ITGS
- HL Spanish
- CAS, TOK and EE.

I can be pretty helpful with these subjects and other more, hints, materials, etc...Seriously just ask me :smile:

Hi! I'm considering doing the IB but I've already started A Levels. I'm planning on doing HL French, HL Spanish & HL English Lit, as well as SL Maths, SL Philosophy and SL Chemistry.

Any advice since we seem to have a few common subjects? :smile: Especially HL Spanish, since I have no idea about that!
Sure thing!

Hello!

I am working on my IB history Internal Assesment, more precisely on my source evaluation and I am wondering if this section is more like your personal interpretation/opinion or do you have to find the evaluation of the source and cite it?

Thank you!
Original post by JukeOfYork
Ex-IB student, finished 2014. Happy to help anyone!
HLs
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 7
Maths - 7
English - 6

SLs
French - 6
Philosophy - 7
EE: Physics, A

Hi! I'm doing HL Physics this year (I'm in Grade 11) and I was wondering if you could give me advice since you got a 7 in physics!!:biggrin: (Congrats on that btw:smile:) I've heard so many horror stories about HL Physics but I really want to do well in it and push myself to get a 7 (at first I was resigned to getting hopefully a 5 or 6). School just started sometime in August so there's still plenty of time but I thought this way I could be a better physics student earlier rather than just before the exam-- so for exams and tests how do you usually study and make sure you understand the concepts?:smile: Do you do a lot of practice qs and memorise the given definitions?
Thank you so much!
Original post by Calllu-m
I'm an ex IB student too and very happy to give advice

My subjects were

English HL - 7
History HL - 7
Geography HL - 6
Biology SL - 6
French SL - 6
Maths Studies SL - 6

Hi ! OMG 7's in English and History HL ?

WHAT IF YOUR SECRET ? :tongue:

But really, I have my IOC's coming up soon and would LOVE any advice you can give since I do HL English too.

And HL History. IAAAAAAA. But there's not much you can do about it so just tell me how you search and memorise this horrible thing called historiography ? :tongue: Also , how did you manage to get a 7 for history ?? I'm only at a 6 :frown:

If it isn't too much, how do you go about the unseen commentary ?

Thank you !!! :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Hey, do you have any tips for the English Oral Presentation. Mine is coming up soon but my speaking skills aren't great. I also get nervous and speaking for 10mins+ sounds impossible right now aha. Also any tips for Economics? I am doing both at Higher
Hey, I'm in my last year of the diploma. I'm just wondering what kind of questions came up in HL History last year?

I'm doing Route 2 - Europe and the Mid East btw
Reply 92
Original post by j132
I'm an ex-IB student too and am happy to help!

HLs:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Economics - 6

SLs:
Eng Lit - 6
French B - 7
Music - 7

Hi! I see you got a 7 in HL Chem!! Congrattttss! Any tips/advice for chemistry? Official IB exam in May. Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 93
Wow you took 4 HL wow

I am an ex-IB to so sad...because I almost complete my EE whereby checking on the essay is the only thing left that shld be done ...

For some reasons...I need to leave my IB..but I believe, everything happens for reasons...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superduperweirdo
Hi ! OMG 7's in English and History HL ?

WHAT IF YOUR SECRET ? :tongue:

But really, I have my IOC's coming up soon and would LOVE any advice you can give since I do HL English too.

And HL History. IAAAAAAA. But there's not much you can do about it so just tell me how you search and memorise this horrible thing called historiography ? :tongue: Also , how did you manage to get a 7 for history ?? I'm only at a 6 :frown:

If it isn't too much, how do you go about the unseen commentary ?

Thank you !!! :smile:

Practice, practice, practice -- but have someone there to give you really good, spot-on feedback. NOT a pat on the back and false encouragement, but the real thing -- hard and god.

Without that feedback you might be just reinforcing bad or ineffectual habits! So practice and feedback are both necessary and there is no magic formula. Trust me.
Hi :smile: I am currently choosing my subjects for the IB course and I have been hearing from others that Maths HL is quite demanding and hard.Would you say that it is difficult?

Original post by j132
I'm an ex-IB student too and am happy to help!

HLs:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Economics - 6

SLs:
Eng Lit - 6
French B - 7
Music - 7

I didn't do psychology but a lot of my friends did and found it quite hard, but was probably because their teacher left halfway through the course...
Hi! I am choosing my subjects for the IB and I was wondering if English SL was difficult? I am not a native speaker and I don't like verbal/oral stuff n general. Would you think that it will be challenging for me? Thanks :smile:

Original post by I Like Turtles.
Ex-IB student here as well! HLs- Bio, Chem, Econ and SLs- English, Spanish and Math
Happy to help anyone with anything :smile:
Hey guys!
I'm currently a junior IB student and our school is not very familiar with IB. The only classes that anyone had every scored a 7 in is HL Visual Arts. There were some occasional 6s' in SL Math and English. What should I do to prepare myself for the IB exams??
Currently I'm in:
HL:
English
Visual Arts
20th Century World History
SL:
Math
Biology
Latin/ French
hello! i'm currently in my first year of IB and have to do my iop but I still haven't pick a topic yet, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? :redface:
it's because i've never compared two novels before, I can see similarities in some of the themes of my books but in one book it only applies to 1 character, in another a multitude of characters. Another theme I'm thinking about is friendship but it is only prominent in one book and not the other...how do I pick a suitable topic...?
Reply 99
How did you get a 7 in HL Maths?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending