The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, I need to ask your opinion. I and currently studying towards my as-levels, studying maths (pure and stats), biology, chemistry and psychology. When I chose them, I intended to study a science related course at university such as medicine or neuroscience. However now I'm having a change of heart. I've been looking at degrees in economics, and they really stand out. Most university websites state that they need maths, which I have, but will my subjects fill the criteria they require? Do I have any chance on getting into an economics degree?? I would appreciate your help! Bare in mind I have no previous experience/knowledge of economics apart from research I've done myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasmin K
Hmm, I need to ask your opinion. I and currently studying towards my as-levels, studying maths (pure and stats), biology, chemistry and psychology. When I chose them, I intended to study a science related course at university such as medicine or neuroscience. However now I'm having a change of heart. I've been looking at degrees in economics, and they really stand out. Most university websites state that they need maths, which I have, but will my subjects fill the criteria they require? Do I have any chance on getting into an economics degree?? I would appreciate your help! Bare in mind I have no previous experience/knowledge of economics apart from research I've done myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The requirement is Maths, but most applicants have Economics or Further Maths as well, or both. I would say that if you're serious about doing Economics at university, change your AS levels asap!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
The requirement is Maths, but most applicants have Economics or Further Maths as well, or both. I would say that if you're serious about doing Economics at university, change your AS levels asap!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would but it's become too late to change them now. It's too far into the course I'm told. Do universities think it's okay if I re-do my as-levels next year? I know in my classes now there are quite a few re-sitters meaning that they'll be in college for three years instead of two. Would that be reflected badly on my UCAS form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 543
I applied to Econ at Warwick, UCL, LSE, E&M at Oxford, and also Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at LSE. How does LSE view applying to both those courses? I wouldn't mind doing either but Econometrics would probably be my first choice out of all of them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 544
Original post by NikolaT
Yes! Hi!

Hey!
What uni's are you looking to apply to?
Im currently on a gap year so im a bit familiar to this drag that is ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a 86% in my grade 10. What should i get in the International Baccalaureate to get into cambridge?
Original post by YNWA
Hey!
What uni's are you looking to apply to?
Im currently on a gap year so im a bit familiar to this drag that is ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you mean familiar or unfamiliar?

I've applied to Oxford, Bath, Lancaster & Exeter.

Left my 5th choice open for now.
Original post by Jasmin K
I would but it's become too late to change them now. It's too far into the course I'm told. Do universities think it's okay if I re-do my as-levels next year? I know in my classes now there are quite a few re-sitters meaning that they'll be in college for three years instead of two. Would that be reflected badly on my UCAS form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same with me. I am currently in year 13 and applying to Economics at university. My a levels are Maths, Biology, German and Turkish. I don't think they mind if you don't have economics or further maths a level because it usually just asks for maths as a requirement :smile:
I got an offer from Bristol on wednesday!
Reply 549
Original post by emmelinelu

Wow for economics? Congrats!! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Wow for economics? Congrats!! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup A*AA including maths and econ
Reply 551
Yup A*AA including maths and econ

What are your stats(AS and GCSE's) if you don't mind me asking:smile:
Also, when did you apply?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!!! :biggrin: is Bristol your top one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
What are your stats(AS and GCSE's) if you don't mind me asking:smile:
Also, when did you apply?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied on the 2nd October so it took about two weeks?
GCSES: 9A*s 1A
AS:
Maths A
F maths A
Econ A
Physics A
Bio A
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Congratulations!!! :biggrin: is Bristol your top one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no it's my last one but it's nice to even get an offer!
Haha no it's my last one but it's nice to even get an offer!

Ooh yeah I'm super edgy with no offers 2 weeks after I sent it :frown:
Where are your other choices? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll hopefully be applying to Warwick, York, Nottingham, Surrey and not sure about my last choice. Stuck between UEA, Southampton and QMUL. Which one do you guys think is the best one? Thanks!
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ooh yeah I'm super edgy with no offers 2 weeks after I sent it :frown:
Where are your other choices? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont worry, offers will come!!

I've applied to cambridge, LSE, ucl, Warwick and Bristol
Dont worry, offers will come!!

I've applied to cambridge, LSE, ucl, Warwick and Bristol

I hope so, I'm just so impatient aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
On Oct 14 I applied to Cambridge (St Catz), LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.

I have A*A*A in Maths, Physics, Economics respectively. As well as a C in AS Biology (I did have extenuating circumstances). I have also committed myself to doing the Further Maths A-level in my gap year.

I have received acknowledgement of application from all of these universities.

I would be very happy to go to any one of the universities that I have applied to, and I appreciate that lots of them are quite ambitious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending