The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
Thought so. I used to want to do English. Then I changed my mind to History. Then Linguistics. Then Psychology. Then PPE. Then English and History. Then History and Economics. Then Economics and Japanese. I've finally settled on Japanese!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thats a lot of subjects uve changed from! Yh but I looked at the elat and it looks similar to our aqa english lit a level paper but the elat has more texts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicted GCSE grades: 7A*'s, 4As I think
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics
Course: Engineering
College: Trinity or University College maybe

Oxford Engineering seems hopeful with a 25% acceptance rate - well higher than Cambridge so fingers crossed... Although I really like Cambridge :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicted GCSE grades: Not study any of them, but got 6.00/6.00 in my educational system (a lot easier than GCSE)
A-Levels: Not study them either :biggrin:
Course: History and Politics/ PPE/ Architecture and HSPS (obviously not in Oxford)
College: Christ Church
Anything else relevant: Some Math contests (few times in top 3); reading on the topic; national history olympiad-4th place; additional painting classes
Ahh i've read a lot on this thread and well done to everyone that got accepted :smile: this is actually really inspiring im currently in year 11 and aiming high. has anyone got any tips on what to do now in order to perhaps even get an interview ? what do they even ask you in the interview ? is it 1 to 1 or a group ? what would i need to have apart from a grades in a level ?

thanks
Original post by lovaticfordemi
Ahh i've read a lot on this thread and well done to everyone that got accepted :smile: this is actually really inspiring im currently in year 11 and aiming high. has anyone got any tips on what to do now in order to perhaps even get an interview ? what do they even ask you in the interview ? is it 1 to 1 or a group ? what would i need to have apart from a grades in a level ?

thanks

What are you thinking of applying for?
For my interview for Chemistry they asked me questions about Chemistry... then more questions... then more questions, all leading on from each other right up until I simply couldn't answer any more. Once that happened, they asked some more questions on a different topic.

None of the questions were trick questions; they were just hard and required you to know your A-level syllabus inside out and much more.

For example "Draw me the graph of bond enthalpy against distance between the two nuclei". Then "Okay, now draw the same graph but for the element in the same group but next period".

I can't really say what an interview for an arts subject would be like. I'm sure they'd be different.

As for getting an interview if you have decent GCSEs, decent AS results and a well-written personal statement, you should get one.

thanks

The best advice I can give is to be interested in your subject and pursue your interest by reading around your subject. I'm doing Biochemistry so for me this consisted of: regularly reading scientific articles, signing up to online courses, watching videos on khan academy, reading a lot of books that I found interesting and wasting a lot of time reading wikipedia articles.

This will give you a lot of knowledge helpful for the interview and the tutors will see be able to see how interested you are in the subject.

thanks

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/undergraduate-admissions-podoxford

See podcasts 8 to 11.
Original post by TheWiseSalmon
For my interview for Chemistry they asked me questions about Chemistry... then more questions... then more questions, all leading on from each other right up until I simply couldn't answer any more. Once that happened, they asked some more questions on a different topic.

None of the questions were trick questions; they were just hard and required you to know your A-level syllabus inside out and much more.

For example "Draw me the graph of bond enthalpy against distance between the two nuclei". Then "Okay, now draw the same graph but for the element in the same group but next period".

I can't really say what an interview for an arts subject would be like. I'm sure they'd be different.

As for getting an interview if you have decent GCSEs, decent AS results and a well-written personal statement, you should get one.

psychology or economics and management in 2017, what is it like the hours leading up to the interview ? and by well written is it like the context(all the amazing things youve done) or amazing english skills presented in the ps
psychology or economics and management in 2017, what is it like the hours leading up to the interview ? and by well written is it like the context(all the amazing things youve done) or amazing english skills presented in the ps

By well written I mean: written in good English and conveying your passion for the subject. The Oxford tutors don't care as much about extra-curricular activities and instead care a lot more about your academic ability and your desire to learn more.

Just don't ever mention the word "passion" in your personal statement though :wink:
That's one piece of advice everyone in my school was given. It's a very clichéd word.

I've applied for chemistry this year, what advice would you give on preparing for the interview? Were there any maths/biology/physics questions too, and also how much did they ask about your personal statement?
What college did you apply for?
Original post by Edminzodo
The Cambridge one is up already . . . !

Copy and paste this and fill it in below!

Predicted GCSE grades:
A-Levels:
Course:
College:

Mine is:

Predicted GCSE grades: 5 A*s, 5 As . . . Or something like that.
A-Levels: Critical Thinking (Compulsory AS), Economics, English Literature (Pre-U), History, Japanese!
Course: Oriental Studies (Japanese)!
College: No idea. Maybe St John's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Extremely jealous that your school offers Japanese as an A level. I would have love to have done that!

thanks

Interviews are normally given to those who have great GCSE grades (the average is 5 A*s). If tons of people applying have that, then they will use the aptitude test (if applicable) and the personal statement to decide who to interview.

During interviews, they will ask your things that will push you to think and they will keep pushing you until you simply have to say 'I don't know'.

Typically they will focus on things that you are happy to talk about, so things from your personal statement or topics you bring up. Using that as a starting point, they will then branch out.

For instance, I mentioned Plato's Republic in my personal statement, so we began talking about that. I was arguing that a particular passage was a poor argument on Plato's part and the tutor played devil advocate with everything I said :biggrin:

If you are applying for a science, then normally they will give you a problem to solve and then add in small twists to make it more complex. Again, this is to see how far they can push you and to access have you think and your potential.

For instance, during my economics interview, I was asked to interpret some graphical data and explain how I would calculate the answer to various questions. The other have of the 2:1 interview was spent talking about a game theory thought experiment.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Uhhh
Oh, and another thought, can I ask what you guys are doing in the way of work experience, and does anyone know how important it is to the uni? I mean I assume it varies depending on the course but a guideline would be nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are applying for medicine, which I believe you are, get work experience! Seriously. There are tons of people applying for medicine that have never been in a hospital, which means they have no idea what is entailed in working in a hospital, e.g. dealing with patients, seeing sick people, checking out dead bodies...

During your course, you will have to look at dead bodies and treat patients, which may seem obvious, but some people get squeamish and want to opt out. Well, you can't really be a doctor if you are squeamish, so proving you aren't to tutors by getting experience is invaluable.

It doesn't have to be anywhere glamourous. Just ask your family or friends if they know anyone in a hospital or sending out some letters/visit your local hospital and see if you can get some diverse experience.

It'll also confirm to you that you want to be a doctor.

(My wife is an Oxford medic, and we've spoken about this a lot).
Original post by AlphaNick
cambrige hopefalls?

me :tongue:
Original post by AlphaNick
cambrige hopefalls?

Original post by Roshany
me :tongue:

There's a thread for that too, you know.
Original post by Jennyfish97
I've applied for chemistry this year, what advice would you give on preparing for the interview? Were there any maths/biology/physics questions too, and also how much did they ask about your personal statement?
What college did you apply for?

I applied to Merton college, but they give everyone an interview at another college so I also had an interview at Queen's. I didn't get into Merton in the end, but did get into Queen's. In a way, I'm sort of glad. I've heard stories that the Merton college pushes its students really hard whereas Queen's seems to be much more relaxed and friendly.

At the end of the day, don't put too much thought into what college you apply for. There aren't massive differences between them and even if you get an offer to study at Oxford, there's no guarantee it will be at the college you applied for. Just look at all the colleges and choose one which looks pretty. That's what most people do. Food is another factor. If there's one thing I've learnt in my two weeks here, it's that the food at Queen's is brilliant.

Anyway, as for advice: Learn your entire Chemistry A-level syllabus before your interview; even the stuff your teacher hasn't covered yet. Read through the textbook and try to understand everything as best you can.
Maths is extremely important for the Chemistry course. Most of Physical Chemistry and a lot of Inorganic Chemistry is based on maths so make sure you're up to date with the stuff on your Maths A-level.
Once you've done that, try and get yourself some of the core textbooks for the Chemistry course (eg. Clayden et al Organic Chemistry, Shriver and Atkins Inorganic Chemistry) and read a few of the chapters. If you can't get your hands on any of these just yet, just make sure you read as much as possible outside the A-level syllabus on the internet or in any books you can find.

All the questions will be about Chemistry (and some maths). If you don't know the answer to the questions, do not say "I don't know". Come up with something which you think sounds reasonable and the tutors will help you a bit.

They did have an entire interview based on your personal statement, but my interviewer asked me only a few questions and didn't seem very interested in my response, then quickly went on to ask me some more chemistry questions.

If you're good at chemistry and have a clear interest in it, you will probably be fine.
I applied to Merton college, but they give everyone an interview at another college so I also had an interview at Queen's. I didn't get into Merton in the end, but did get into Queen's. In a way, I'm sort of glad. I've heard stories that the Merton college pushes its students really hard whereas Queen's seems to be much more relaxed and friendly.

At the end of the day, don't put too much thought into what college you apply for. There aren't massive differences between them and even if you get an offer to study at Oxford, there's no guarantee it will be at the college you applied for. Just look at all the colleges and choose one which looks pretty. That's what most people do. Food is another factor. If there's one thing I've learnt in my two weeks here, it's that the food at Queen's is brilliant.

Anyway, as for advice: Learn your entire Chemistry A-level syllabus before your interview; even the stuff your teacher hasn't covered yet. Read through the textbook and try to understand everything as best you can.
Maths is extremely important for the Chemistry course. Most of Physical Chemistry and a lot of Inorganic Chemistry is based on maths so make sure you're up to date with the stuff on your Maths A-level.
Once you've done that, try and get yourself some of the core textbooks for the Chemistry course (eg. Clayden et al Organic Chemistry, Shriver and Atkins Inorganic Chemistry) and read a few of the chapters. If you can't get your hands on any of these just yet, just make sure you read as much as possible outside the A-level syllabus on the internet or in any books you can find.

All the questions will be about Chemistry (and some maths). If you don't know the answer to the questions, do not say "I don't know". Come up with something which you think sounds reasonable and the tutors will help you a bit.

They did have an entire interview based on your personal statement, but my interviewer asked me only a few questions and didn't seem very interested in my response, then quickly went on to ask me some more chemistry questions.

If you're good at chemistry and have a clear interest in it, you will probably be fine.

Thank you so much, that's really good advice :smile: I had to teach myself nmr because our teachers won't teach it to us until spring and I heard it comes up a lot. I've applied to St Hugh's and it's amazing, but it's the course that counts :smile:
Original post by Ja-m-ie
If you are applying for medicine, which I believe you are, get work experience! Seriously. There are tons of people applying for medicine that have never been in a hospital, which means they have no idea what is entailed in working in a hospital, e.g. dealing with patients, seeing sick people, checking out dead bodies...

During your course, you will have to look at dead bodies and treat patients, which may seem obvious, but some people get squeamish and want to opt out. Well, you can't really be a doctor if you are squeamish, so proving you aren't to tutors by getting experience is invaluable.

It doesn't have to be anywhere glamourous. Just ask your family or friends if they know anyone in a hospital or sending out some letters/visit your local hospital and see if you can get some diverse experience.

It'll also confirm to you that you want to be a doctor.

(My wife is an Oxford medic, and we've spoken about this a lot).

You're married?! Or is it your college wife?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys!
I'm hoping to apply for medicine :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Hello guys, I am foreign student. I am studying A-level course with Maths/Politics/History/FurtherMaths.
I study in here for Oxford and I would study law in there. Can anybody give me some advise to get there ? I heard that I had to do some special exam from Oxford, is that right ?

Latest

Trending

Trending